Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fluorescent Fishing Lights green vs. others

Post Thanks / Like

Question Fluorescent Fishing Lights green vs. others

I have been trying to study up on the use of various lights to attract fish during a night stalk. I knew you guys would be the best in the world to go to for no bull answers. I have read that the fish are attracted to the light because it simulates the light at dawn and they want to feed (I am not sure if this is true or not). If this is true, wouldn't it be best to use a full-spectrum light (one that contains all of the colors that simulates sunlight)? I have also read that green is very popular because of its ability to penetrate the water a great distance. Is green the best or is it just one of those things where everyone is going to have their own opinion? Any help that you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

I use the white floating light for years with good success, bought 2 of the BPS green 21" submergable lights last year and did ok with them by their self but did much better with the 2 floaters on the outside and the 2 submergable between them. hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

Default My 2 cents

I'm new to crappie nite stalking but I've used a 4' green flourescent hung vertically over the side alongside a generator run sodium light. Out of 80-90 or so crappie caught over 3 nights, 95% came from under or near the sodium white light....but I'm still learning!

William
    Remember....Good Things Come to Those Who Bait......

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I am new to crappie fishing too and trying to find what tackle and geat is the best or the most tried and true.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the 4' green lights for the past two summers with a lot of success. Sometimes it seems that adding a submerged white light helps, sometimes not. I have never used a white floating light but will probably try this summer. Also, I might put a white bulb in one of my homemade 4' lights rather than green, just to try it out.

I usually use one green light submerged vertically just below the surface, one on each end of the boat. Adding a third or fourth does not seem to help any.

but I'm convinced the big green ones work...impressed two other guys so much that they bought 'em too.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I make my own 4' green lights also. I have used a white bulb in some rather than green. I have fished them together and the green light seems to draw the most bait fish but can't say I catch more fish off one than the other. I fish deep clear water lakes here in Arkansas.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

folks been catching fish for years using Coleman gas lanterns that can't give off green light.
    Had a house on a lake once with a pier. This pier had flood lights up and down it. If you fished under one of these lights, you were guaranteed to catch some crappie. They emitted white light.
    Does green light work better? No one knows for sure. Some folks can speculate, but no one knows which works best.
    One thing for sure. The lights work for some reason, no matter what color they are. Try it and see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

see the Honest Discussion of LED lighting thread....it says green is best

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jumping Cholla Jigs
    Shot this tonight in the yard to show some differences. From left to right... Yeah I know the date on the camera is waaay off. Just don't know how to set it.

BPS 21" submersible http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...11000_100-11-2

Optronics submersible quartz (it melted during the filming)
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...11000_100-11-2

Nucli-Eye Aurora LED light
    http://www.jumpingchollatackle.com/i...tion=item&id=4

Video here... http://members.cox.net/junkmitch/Video%2021.mpg

And here is one showing it boatside...
    http://members.cox.net/junkmitch/Video%2020.mpg

Check this out. Know which ones ill be getting!