Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: A Crappie Fishing First

Post Thanks / Like

Talking A Crappie Fishing First

On my Fridays trip we were fishing shallow in about 1 to 2 ft. of water working some thick root systems strait lining jigs, As I was lifting my jig up out the water a crappie came out of the water and grabbed my jig, it was a good 3 to 4 inches out of the water. I have had bass do this but never a crappie.:D
    Spindle Guide Service
    Lake Ray Roberts
    940-727-3493
    www.spindleguideservice.com

THUMP It JIGS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    On my Fridays trip we were fishing shallow in about 1 to 2 ft. of water working some thick root systems strait lining jigs, As I was lifting my jig up out the water a crappie came out of the water and grabbed my jig, it was a good 3 to 4 inches out of the water. I have had bass do this but never a crappie.:D
    That fish was really wanting that bait. Not jumping in the boat, but close.

A bad day of fishing
    beats a good day at work.

Jerry

Post Thanks / Like

glad you posted this. i have seen them jump 6 inches for bugs, but was afraid to say so on here. there was a thread about jumping crappie a while back and everyone on it said they woudlnt. well, they do!
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

I've been crappie fishing for 40 plus years and I had never seen one come out of the water before. Just goes to show that when you think you have seen most everything, You see something new. Thats why any day on the lake can be an experience.
    Spindle Guide Service
    Lake Ray Roberts
    940-727-3493
    www.spindleguideservice.com

THUMP It JIGS

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar experiance Cliff. 2 years ago my son and I were fishing about this time of year. We were casting tubes under floats with ultra lights along some brush by the bank. Crappie were chasing minnows everywhere. On one cast, my tube got hung on a small stump about an inch above the water line. As I trolled closer to get it, a slab came out of the water and took the jig right off the side of the stump. Darndest thing I've ever seen.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by speckhunter
    I had a similar experiance Cliff. 2 years ago my son and I were fishing about this time of year. We were casting tubes under floats with ultra lights along some brush by the bank. Crappie were chasing minnows everywhere. On one cast, my tube got hung on a small stump about an inch above the water line. As I trolled closer to get it, a slab came out of the water and took the jig right off the side of the stump. Darndest thing I've ever seen.
    I said this the last time this subject came up....
    I drug a plastic worm over a cypress knee one time and a crappie jumped out of the water to get it. I have been redeemed since then and do not even own a worm rod.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow I've seen a Horsefly .....

and I've seen a Dragonfly ... But I be done seen 'bout ever'thing when I see a elephant fly --- no wait, that's from Dumbo :p

I've never seen a Crappie "jump" out of the water, that wasn't hooked on my jig ... but, I have had Bluegill and Yellow Bass jump out of the water and grab ahold of my lure (left hanging off the end of my rod & dangling above the water's surface) ..... you talk about scaring the bejeebers out of you :D

I have no doubt that, given the opportunity, a Crappie would leap completely out of the water to grab a meal !! I just haven't been fortunate enough to witness such an event.

....... cp