HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Greenhorn crappie fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Greenhorn crappie fishing

Hello all - new to the site from Texas. I am a life-long fisherman (mostly bass fishing) but have acquired a serious interest in crappie fishing. I have done the bass boat/bass fishing thing and have evolved, or regressed, depending on your point of view, to kayak fishing. I have been kayak fishing for over 10 years and tend to gravitate toward protected areas and small creeks/small rivers. I have a basic 2D sonar unit with GPS.

There is a small river that I fish during late winter/spring for white bass and I "accidentally" catch crappie during those times. The river feeds a well-known reservoir and is not very wide or very deep. I'd say it averages 6'-8' deep and is up to 15' deep, at most. It stretches around 5 or 6 miles from its headwaters to the lake and is easily affected by moderately significant rainfall. There are a few community holes in the river where catching is fairly consistent during the winter and spring but I've not tried fishing there outside that time frame.

I'd like to target crappie year-round, without being forced into the main lake. I know they migrate and are controlled to a great extent by water temperature, but are there exceptions? Do ALL crappie move back and forth from main lakes to creeks/rivers, or are there year-round populations of crappie in creeks and small rivers?

Also, when they are in the creeks and small rivers, do they leave when it floods, or just seek calmer water and hide out until the water recedes?

Thanks
    Likes Keystonecrappie LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

The crappie life revolves around their place of birth (aka spawn). I have been told this numerous times by Ky and TN wildlife agents that crappies roaming range is about 1.5 miles from spawn area. Of course there are exceptions to all theories. I believe this theory. I could catch fish within a mile or two from our home on Ky lake until we were invaded by the illegal aliens called Asian carp. Record day, weather info, water conditions of the catch and build you a library. Return, and return often.

Most of us are greenhorns. Some just better at bragging that others.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes Redge, Snubby, Keystonecrappie, skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My theory is a crappies life revolves around it's stomach and where the food is at. The University of Mississippi did a study on Enid lake for several years tagging crappie and following, documenting their movements. They found that crappie move around quite a bit and will travel good distances. I guess it depends on the body of water and the species of fish. As far as floods or high water in creeks and rivers, I've always understood white crappie will tolerate some current as to where black crappie will not. Even the whites will look for eddy's and slack water to congregate in and ambush bait. Hopefully someone will be along to better assist you with your questions. Welcome to the board!

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, Post= thanks!
    Likes Keystonecrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site.
    No perfect answer to your question about crappie moving. It depends on the depth, temperatures, food , oxygen levels, water quality, etc.
    From my experience if there is any water close to 20 ft deep some will stay year round. But will begin loading up any time now from the lake as the spawn approaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes DRFISHDUCK LIKED above post
    Thanks wishin2bfishin thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

My experience tells me crappie will follow he food. In my neck of the woods this means threadfin shad. This time of the year the shad enter the creeks because they are seeking warmer water to survive. The crappie follow them up the creeks every winter. This makes for some of the best fishing of the year. Only heavy rains turnoff the fishing. Follow the forage and you will find the fish.
    Likes DRFISHDUCK LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site if I haven't already welcomed you. I agree that this is a good but extremely broad thread topic... and do believe that crappies like most freshwater fish species subscribe to the age ole fishing theory that at any given time "80% of the fish will be found in only 20% of the water." This tried and true theory not only speaks to the migratory nature of crappie... but also to the biological and predatory natures of the species as touched on by others who have also posted their thoughts.

IMO: Like bass... crappies are also members of the sunfish family and share many common behaviorisms with regard to migratory, biological and predatory patterns that generally prove to be cyclical year to year... meaning the same patterns are repeated seasonally-annually. I would, however, respectively disagree with any opinion that might try to suggest crappies have a year around relationship to creek or river channels or any other such features; but at the same time I would argue as long as one wanted to that creeks and river channels are transition zones and are the hot tip at certain times of the year.

In general... I would say you will do fine by using the exact same tactics as you used for the largemouth bass... but scale the baits down somewhat and you should do well at crappie fishing year around.
    "Just Like Iron Sharpens Iron... So it is that One Man Sharpens Another Man." Proverbs 27:17