Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CAST & RETRIEVE TECHNIQUE QUESTION

Post Thanks / Like

Default CAST & RETRIEVE TECHNIQUE QUESTION

Is casting and counting down the jig to the desired depth to retrieve, the same as the cast n drag technique? Also do you ever drag the jig flat on the bottom like a t-rig worm for bass? I know crappie feed up, but some of you say that ain't always the case.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jay the baptist View Post
    Is casting and counting down the jig to the desired depth to retrieve, the same as the cast n drag technique?
    As far as I know, yes. I had never even heard of "cast and drag" till this thread:

https://www.crappie.com/crappie/main...-casting-rods/

Also do you ever drag the jig flat on the bottom like a t-rig worm for bass?
    For bass, yes. For crappie, no.

Post Thanks / Like

Is casting and counting down the jig to the desired depth to retrieve, the same as the cast n drag technique? Also do you ever drag the jig flat on the bottom like a t-rig worm for bass? I know crappie feed up, but some of you say that ain't always the case.
    Sometimes during the spawn I will cast to the bank and let it bump bottom, pick it up and work it back. Otherwise, no.
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

OK. Thanks, When using a jig & bobber, do you always twitch the rig along or do you us a slow steady retrieve most times?

Post Thanks / Like

When using a jig & bobber ...
    I don't. In shallow water, I just use a lighter jig. You'd be amazed at how well a 1/64 oz trout magnet works (with no bobber) in shallow water.

Post Thanks / Like

OK. Thanks, When using a jig & bobber, do you always twitch the rig along or do you us a slow steady retrieve most times?
    Depends! Slow steady retrieve when you have wave action. Otherwise I add the action. I always pause every few feet, or every yard. That momentary pause can be killer.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!
    Likes GBYRD, BDBFishing, broharrell, Spoonminnow LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Your question is far more complex than how you asked it... and surely must be prefaced by time of the year and particular crappie feeding tendencies at a given time of day. I know it has always been my particular preference to Carolina rig using differing weighs and differing jigs or hook/minnow combinations. I also like to push or pull baits for the most part with the bait presented at various depths in the water column. The only type of dragging presentations that I personally make is when I am using a drop shot type rig where the weights remain in contact with the bottom or other structure features. There are other times however that I have found that when jig fishing... the crappies like a pause in the retrieve when the jig is allowed to fall to the bottom and then flutter back to life as it resumes the swimming action. There are other times when they prefer the bait changing directions or speeding up drastically which triggers the bite.
    "Just Like Iron Sharpens Iron... So it is that One Man Sharpens Another Man." Proverbs 27:17
    Likes Hanr3, Crestliner08 LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

The way I’ve described my method is “ pitch and glide”. This has the jig doing a pendulum effect as it comes back to you and you’re doing the countdown. Every time I tried to drag the bottom, I donated a jig. I seem to find any little snag. A hesitation in the retrieve or a one inch drop and return of the rod tip triggers some for me too. What DBD said about the 1/64 has a lot of merit. They are so light and fall so slow that it triggers lots of strikes on its own. I will also say that I have usually tried new methods when alone and also pay closer attention to the results. Good luck establishing your style.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Fred39 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I’m not a crappie fisherman.....but I catch several thousand crappie each year. I am an avid UL angler and chase what ever can stretch 2# test line. When I say I’m not a crappie fisherman what I mean is for many on here that will be just about all they chase using different methods other than cast and retrieve. All I do is cast and retrieve using a 1/64 ounce Trout Magnet and many times will up it to 1/32 when I am fishing for crappie. I constantly twitch the Magnet and it gets me great results. I too have never heard of “cast and drag” until this thread. As others have said find the depth. In this video I used a 1/32 jig head. On days they were only about 4-6 feet deep I switched to the 1/64. If you check my other videos of me catching KY bass I am creeping the Trout Magnet slowly across the bottom. There were crappie in the same spot....but they were only about 6 feet deep. I chose to keep it on the bottom because I wanted to tangle with Spotted bass so I let it sink all the way to the bottom.

Regards

YouTube

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes BDBFishing, redfin00 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

there area million variables on answers to the question I think ...or 2 …..casting and dragging a road runner works sometimes . casting and free falling a jig with no float and reeling works sometimes . casting and slowly dragging a float works sometimes . casting and not dragging the float works sometimes . casting and twitching the float and not dragging works sometimes . casting and dragging and twitching the float works sometimes .and yes casting and bumping the bottom works sometimes as well .
    so in synopsis I would say try all the above and any variable you can think of . some of it depends on where and when and some of it is just a guess till you get bit .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes broharrell LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast