Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Have you try this

Post Thanks / Like

Default Have you try this

I see this on FB and was wondering who all have tried this "Anyone ever put a dozen minnows in a gallon glass jar with holes poked in the lid and sank it near some structure them came back an hour later and fished around it?" I wonder if it really works or even legal
    All men are created equal, some work harder in the preseason.
    Thanks to BnM PST, Midsouth Jig, Big River Marina
    Likes scrat, Crestliner08 LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gindog View Post
    I see this on FB and was wondering who all have tried this "Anyone ever put a dozen minnows in a gallon glass jar with holes poked in the lid and sank it near some structure them came back an hour later and fished around it?" I wonder if it really works or even legal
    Seen that advertised many decades ago, and have heard about it off & on since. I would say it probably would work, but isn't always "legal" to do. It "could" fall under rules about "baiting", "chumming", or even "polluting" (in the event the glass broke or the jar came loose & sank).

Note: the fact that the original idea mentions a gallon "glass" jar should tell how old this "trick" is
    Likes scrat, Gindog LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve also been told it works. It was illegal in TN.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Gindog LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

It’s not illegal to chum in TN......carp fisherman do it all the time. The issues arise when littering is included with the chum. I’ve seen many carp fisherman use these things called PVA bags. I had never heard of them. They put the chum in them....toss them in......and the whole thing is biodegradable. Seems to work for them.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

My grandfather used to do the minnows in the jar thing. It does work. Its been around 35 years since that trip with him. I was amazed at how well it worked. He would catch them at night below a floating light too. A small string in the top to tie it to the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

where its legal chumming drives schools into a frenzy ….all fish seem to get going when the food bell rings .
    I have chummed crappie before and it works , but I never used minnows in a jar ….
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    Seen that advertised many decades ago, and have heard about it off & on since. I would say it probably would work, but isn't always "legal" to do. It "could" fall under rules about "baiting", "chumming", or even "polluting" (in the event the glass broke or the jar came loose & sank).

Note: the fact that the original idea mentions a gallon "glass" jar should tell how old this "trick" is
    Yep....ole' Geo. L. Herter had published that idea back in the 60's in one of his books. Certainly couldn't hurt. Love to get my hands on one of those old catalogs!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Only thing that big of a jar would be a pickle jar anymore
    All men are created equal, some work harder in the preseason.
    Thanks to BnM PST, Midsouth Jig, Big River Marina

brjohnson429 is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Since one gallon glass jars are not easy to come by, would a clear gallon plastic jug work? The ones I’m talking about has reinforcement ribs molded into them.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brjohnson429 View Post
    Since one gallon glass jars are not easy to come by, would a clear gallon plastic jug work? The ones I’m talking about has reinforcement ribs molded into them.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Might need some weight in the bottom to make it sink, but should work OK.