Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Why biting in one end of the lake, not the other any more?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why biting in one end of the lake, not the other any more?

I'm fishing a lake that has a school I fished reliably from November until about three weeks ago. The school is still there but is refusing to bite. Meanwhile, fish are biting readily in another end of the lake. Temps are the same in both spots. Food source, same. Fish are set up in a biting pattern but refuse to bite. I'm confused by a school that is staged to eat, just like usual, but is no longer eating and hasn't been for several weeks. Thanks for pointers!

Post Thanks / Like

they can stack up like cord wood and drive you crazy . I am betting there is a bite "window" on the ones that wont bite and when the window opens its about on fire till it slams shut . I see winter fish do this over and over on several locations and have no clue why but to be sure if you find that "window" hit it every day till it changes time zones and stock the freezer .
    that there is for sure what you got ….I think maybe ...you know could be ….possibly ...
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes Slabprowler, Redge, skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly. Mostly. Probably. Thanks for the .02.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by palerider View Post
    I'm fishing a lake that has a school I fished reliably from November until about three weeks ago. The school is still there but is refusing to bite. Meanwhile, fish are biting readily in another end of the lake. Temps are the same in both spots. Food source, same. Fish are set up in a biting pattern but refuse to bite. I'm confused by a school that is staged to eat, just like usual, but is no longer eating and hasn't been for several weeks. Thanks for pointers!
    What is the biting pattern, how does it look on sonar

Sent from my SM-J700T using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

They would take a 1/64 with white coloration being best, and tipped with a Nibble, if trolled/drifted slowly over them. The fish are between 5 and 25' down and are evenly spread about in rocks when shallow, grouped up in a school in deeper water, holding off shore about 10-20 feet from dry land, and there are some toward the bottom in 20-25'. They are set up the same but ignoring any and all presentations including those which work well 2 miles away. (Binks spoons)

Post Thanks / Like

Try a different presentation, such as a 1/4 oz. blade bait vertically jigged off the bottom. Sometimes just a subtle change in your presentation can trigger a very different response.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."