Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Red Hooks

I have heard that some Bass fisherman change out the front treble hooks on crankbaits to a red colored hook. The red color hook gives the bait a look as if it's bleeding and may or may not produce more strikes. I don't think enough research has been done to prove anything but I have heard that red colored hooks have become pretty popular.

Last week I went to a BPS and found that they had a standing shelf in the center of the fish hook isle dedicated for nothing but red hooks.

Has anyone ever tried Crappie fishing with a red hook? And do you think it would be any more productive than a gold hook?

Post Thanks / Like

i don`t see where they make that much of a difference,i can catch just as many on a gold hook as i can on the red hook.
    Dave
    Boydton,VA

Post Thanks / Like

Think the red hook and red on a jig is to represent the view crappie have looking up at the gills of another fish flairing its gills to take in a bait fish. Got to remember that the fish we are trying to catch are looking upward, while we are looking down. View is very different.

Not to say that can not catch fish on gold or silver hooks.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

I think gold hooks are the best for any type fishing - I think red is a markrting device to sell a more expensive hook - just 1 opinion
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion red hooks will only work in shallow water. Red is the first color to be filtered out and disappear the deeper you get in the water column.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

Nathan,here On Dale Hollow We Have Alot Of Clear Water. I"ve Found Red Hooks Make A Difference Here Anyway.the Red Is Supposed To Look Like Wounded Prey I Think?thus It Represents An Easy Meal!i Even Try To Buy My Jigs With Red Hooks-the Fish Seem More Aggresive Towards Them!we All Know Crappie Are Very Color Finicky-thus The Reason For So Many Different Jig Body Colors!this Is Just My Opinion--i"ve Sure Been Wrong Before!!dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have some red aberdeen hooks and use them as last resort on those really finicky days. It's made a difference when nothing else would work. I also believe that water clarity in combination with light penetration at deeper depths has alot to do with any color jig, skirt, hook or whatever presentation you're making to the fish. I can see that a red hook is perfect on day and a gold or black hook another depending on the circumstance. Personally, I have no personal preference other than what works that day.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

A Buddy And I Decided To Go Fishing One Day, And We Had To Stop At Wal=mart To Get Some More Hooks, And I Bought Some Red Hooks Because It Said "blood Red, Triggers Fish Feeding Frenzy". It Sounded Coold So I Bought Some. My Buddy And I Used The Same Bait Except I Had Red Hooks And He Had Gold, And I Caught Probably 3-4 Fish To His One. The Fish I Caught Swallowed The Hooks, But My Buddies Fish Were Barely Nibbling On The Bait. He Had To Work Harder To Set The Hook. So I Use The Red Hooks Most Of The Time. They Made A Believer Out Of Me.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought some lucky e strike 2 color jigheads with red hooks and went bank fishing below bagnell dam, the fishermen lined the bank that morning because the floodgates were open. In less than an hour i had my limit of 30 crappie and the guys next to me couldnt have had no more than 10 fish and they were using the same color as me the only difference was the red hooks.Needless to say i was back the nwxt two days with the same results,yes ishared my secret and one of the fellas had some red hooks the second day and he had the same results as me.I,m not saying that it will work every time but on them 3 days it made all the difference in the world so its not a bad idea to keep a few in your box.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

I fished with a guy one day and I was using gold hooks and he was using red. I had 47 crappie and he had zero. It wasnt the hook that made the difference, it was the presentation. Color does matter, but its not the most important thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast