Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Motor breakdown question.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Motor breakdown question.

I have a good friend of mine that has a '96 model 25hp Suzuki. The only problem we ever had with the motor was the impeller went out a little while back. The motor ran great for the twelve mile trip to the marshes, and starts real easy after the initial cranking. When they got ready to leave , the motor ran for about 15 minutes and just quit. Acted like it ran out of gas and will not start. Had to get the game wardens to go get them and haul them back in. Carb's look good, gas in the tank is good, spark plugs look good. Any of you work with these or similar type outboards have any idea what could be wrong with it? Or any of you have this type motor and had the same problem? Could it be the coil or power pack? Is it common for the coil or power pack to just go out like that?
    Thanks to anyone that replies.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlaughlin72
    I have a good friend of mine that has a '96 model 25hp Suzuki. The only problem we ever had with the motor was the impeller went out a little while back. The motor ran great for the twelve mile trip to the marshes, and starts real easy after the initial cranking. When they got ready to leave , the motor ran for about 15 minutes and just quit. Acted like it ran out of gas and will not start. Had to get the game wardens to go get them and haul them back in. Carb's look good, gas in the tank is good, spark plugs look good. Any of you work with these or similar type outboards have any idea what could be wrong with it? Or any of you have this type motor and had the same problem? Could it be the coil or power pack? Is it common for the coil or power pack to just go out like that?
    Thanks to anyone that replies.
    About all I can say is.....if there are 300 parts to a motor then there could be at least 300 things that could go wrong. I think I'd look at coils first but who knows? Could be out of time due to a sheared key/keyway.
    Happiness is a belt fed weapon.

Some people have heroes that wear capes.
    MY heroes wear kevlar vests embossed with the Eagle, Globe and Anchor

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

Power pack.... My motor did that right before i bought it (friends with previous owner) it would just quit running down the lake. He could let it sit a while and it would run again though but it would do it again eventually. Replaced the pp day before I bought it and it has never quit on me in 3 years. Mine is a 150hp but it sounds like a similar problem.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Breakdown

Sounds like a cracked coil, happened to too. Check it with a meter box. I went ahead an changed both of them, it wasn't hard, but mine was an old
    9 1/2 Johnson. It would start up good and as I ran down the lake it would heat up and the coils would break down and go dead. After sitting for awhile and cooling off, and start up and do it all over again, it really drove me crazy until some old man told me about the coils doing that.
    So now I'm an old man myself and telling you, look luck with it.

spider rig man

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If the gas is wetting the plugs it is definitely not getting fire. Either, the coils, power pack, stator, etc. Unless you got the meters to check it with I'd take it to the mechanic. Most of them parts aint cheap to be swapping out.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies. We still cain't get the motor to start, even after a couple of days, so I don't think its something that gets hot and shuts down. any suggestions? Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried www.themarinedoctor.com, he can help you diagnose and fix about anything.
    A positive additude may not fix all of your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worthwhile.

Post Thanks / Like

You bet on the Marine Dr. He's da Man!!!

First check that the kill switch is hooked up. Happens all the time.
    Make sure the nutural switch is operating like it's supposed to.
    That was the problem with mine. Adjusted the switch and that was that.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all of you for the replies.