• Mr Crappie - Wally Marshall

3 5.36%
  • Something Else ???

21 37.50%
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crappie Casting Rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Casting Rods

I'm looking to add a rod for cast'n drag style fishing since like everything else there are several to choose from so I thought I'd try to see which brand seems to be leading the way. The pole only compares a few brands and not specific rods so if you use a casting rod please list your favorite one and why. Also if your using something different from the brands in the pole please share that info as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie84 View Post
    I'm looking to add a rod for cast'n drag style fishing since like everything else there are several to choose from so I thought I'd try to see which brand seems to be leading the way.
    I must admit I had never heard of "cast'n drag". Thanks to Mr. Google and ten seconds of my time, I found this post from CDC:

"It's a technique where you mark structure with a marker and back off throwing your jig over letting it sink to desired depth and reeling the jig back over and across limbs to create a reaction strike."

I've been doing this for around forty years. Never knew it had a name. I just called it "fishing".

If that's what you're trying to do, there's a ton of rods that will do it. I like Loomis rods, but I'm slowly transitioning to JDM. St. Croix is also good.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a price range range in mind? With fishing gear there is such a large disparity from the least to the most expensive and add in that most people have a range of what they are comfortable spending or can afford gear wise it at least gets suggestions in a range that may be realistic for the person looking for the suggestions.

If a person does not want to spend more than 80 dollars on a rod no sense making a bunch of suggestions for 2-300 dollar rods.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie84 View Post
    ... please list your favorite one and why.
    I missed the "and why" part before.

The rods I listed are very light, sensitive and a joy to fish. Those factors are important if you're holding the rod all day.

Post Thanks / Like

For the past decade or so, I've used several brands, but still go back to my tried & true B n' M. You'll be hard pressed to find a finer crappie fishing rod for ~$50.00 or less. I have 4 which are the 7' and 9' models. I especially like the SHSS models. Have caught a ton of crappie on them and they've served me well. Have caught some pretty big fish on them too. Like the old Ranger once said, "they'll do to ride the river".
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes Herewego, DRFISHDUCK LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I had to check the "something else" box in this poll, because my favorite for most all my casting purposes is a ESP PowerLite 6'6" rod. The "why" I like it is many fold : light, sensitive, very fast action tip, graphite Tenn Handle, and affordably priced. Many that I have recommended this rod to have purchased one & (so far) I've seen no complaints or negative comments about it.
    Likes triadcrappie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Yea! I had to mark something else. I am useing the yellow Eagle Claw's like Richard Gene has used so many times on his youtube videos. They were like $19.99 at wally world buy 2 free shipping. I topped them off with the pink lady Pflueger presidents while they were on sale also (half the price difference between the pink and blue color). 6'6" ultra lights and I have been very happy so far this year with this setup.

YouTube
    Last edited by scrat; 12-17-2018 at 04:33 PM. Reason: added video link
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes need2befishin, ford man LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I ran across this Shakespeare 7' ultra light spinning rod at Wallyworld for $19 and pared it up with the Pflugler Tion 200 ser reel and it cast a 1/32 jig and a cork further than my W M rod set up the same way.
    You know me, I'm always ready for a road trip. Chip Newest member of Traveling Team Overalls

Post Thanks / Like

The poll says casting rods - favorite brands. Are you really asking about casting rods or are you asking about spinning rods? It seems some of the replies are listing spinning rods/reels.

Are there casting rods (with a casting reel mounted on it) that can cast a 1/32 oz jig 25-30 feet or further? Please list those rod and reel combinations, I am interested.

Thanks,

ClearCreek

Post Thanks / Like

When Gary Loomis still owned GLoomis rods and blanks could be purchased I used and built almost exclusively GLoomis rods. Now that I can't get GLoomis blanks except for the hand full I have been hanging on to I mostly use St Croix. I still build my own and not counting those I have built and sold I have 40 rod and reel combo's hanging on the wall for various purposes.

St Croix makes a good 7' ultra light bait casting rod blank that I use for cast and retrieve and vertical jigging also. Used 3 of them today.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast