Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rod Holders

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod Holders

Looking to buy 4 rod holders for an open type 12' V-hull fishing boat. These will require a side mount - as opposed to top, flush, or rail mount. Trying to set up for a more efficient side pulling presentation.

I currently have 2 of the Downeast type, double clamp rod holders, which I used for years for pike trolling. They work well, but I dislike them due to the noise they make when retrieving the rods and the abuse the spinning reels take from the metal to metal contact. This is why I need to get set up with plastic type holders.

Looking at BPS, Cabelas, Dick's and Amazon, I'm seeing a vast variation in reviews on various makes & models. Anyone have any opinions on pros or cons of those that you have used? Especially if you've got the side mounted style. Thanks muchly Folks!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Scotty has every configuration you could imagine. Last a long time

Post Thanks / Like

Ive just added them to a 60s 12' Grumman ive have. I attached an aluminum plate of about 3/16" thick on the top of the gunnel with a couple of small bolts, I pre drilled 3/8" holes thru the plate and put the Driftmaster type coated rod holders in those. I paid $19.95 + $5 shipping for four 25 deg rod holders on Ebay. The quality is very good, just have metric threads. I figure that since the boat is so low to the water, the 25 deg might be an advantage, if not ill modify the mounting plate.
    A couple years ago I had a fabricator make me a trolling motor bracket for the front so I can spider rig.
    It goes from side to side across the bow and again is attached with bolts thru the top of the gunnels.
    I need to reverse the head on the 40# Minn kota by removing one bolt which connects the shaft, reverse the head, and reinsert the bolt.
    I also have 4 rod holders up there.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 6 of these that I'm going to sell. Fish-On rod holders, they sell for around $20 - $25 new. I had these through bolted with machine screws on an aluminum boat gunnel. Worked fine and fully adjustable. Includes mounts and a couple extensions if needed.Name:  holder1.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  171.5 KBName:  holder2.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  172.6 KBName:  holder3.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  169.5 KB
    ​Specktackle
    Proud Member of Team Geezer

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at grizzly jig. They have a PVC type clamp on holder made for poontoon boats that might work in your application.
    Looked and they don't show on website but I know they have them in catalogue. Might give them a call and get them to send you one. I'm assuming your not in a big hurry this time of year.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cray View Post
    Take a look at grizzly jig. They have a PVC type clamp on holder made for poontoon boats that might work in your application.
    Looked and they don't show on website but I know they have them in catalogue. Might give them a call and get them to send you one. I'm assuming your not in a big hurry this time of year.
    Thanks, but I'd just as soon not go the clamp-on route if possible. And you are correct, I'm not in a big hurry. Too much ice on the waters these days!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

This might take a bit but I’ll try to get you to the point as quick as I can. I’ve used the Hi Tek extreme version for several years now and I can say that I compare everything else to them and don’t ever wish I had bought something else. The way they are shown and used by most everyone is with a baseplate that is 90* to the floor. Scott will make you risers that instead of having the dovetail base on the bottom it is welded to the side. Now you slide it in, tighten one 1/2” bolt and it never moves. The rod holder portion of all of his holders are rubber coated and have never done any damage to any of my rods. They were an investment that i have never regretted. Other makers use knobs instead of the bolt, but after trying knobs on one of mine i went back to the bolt for it’s lower profile. Just my input and I’m sure someone will disagree, but such is life. Hope you find what you’re after.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post