HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: marabou jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Default marabou jigs

When's the best time to fish one .
    I've been told best in spring , and was told best in cold water .
    An which is best presentation to use ?
    Thanks .

Sent from my SM-G955U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on what the fish want at any given time not a particular time of year. sometimes you have to try different methods until you find out how the fish want it.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer
    Likes peterbilt379, "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

thank ya sir. I've been catchin 15 to 15 1/2 crappie , on a blue ice . Now they dont want any plastics . Gonna give the marabou a chance this morning.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, let the fish tell you what they want. I do tend to use plastics more in the warmer months and rely on marabou or hair jigs in the early spring and fall/winter periods. That being said, one of my most reliable lures, over the past 3 seasons, has been a horse head spin (tied by skiptomylou) dressed in a gray ghost pattern of marabou. I always have one on one of my rods all season long. It's paid off for me many times.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Marabou works year round, but its subtle action is most effective in cooler water.
    Likes peterbilt379, shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

"Try it you may like it" well the crappie may like it. I will be looking forward to your fishing reports and pictures and how the marabou jig worked for you.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes need2befishin LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

When I was a young lad back in the mid 70's, all our local bait store had was marabou jigs. Any color you wanted as long as it was white or yellow lol. I realize that back then there was hardly any fishing pressure but we sure did smash them on Lake Wylie SC with those baits. For bass you had a great selection as well. 4" green worm with 2 hooks poured into it with a nylon loop out one end to tie your line to it. Those were the days
    Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me"

Wear that PFD, the life you save might be your own!!

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use both, whether in Spring, Summer, or Fall .... plastics & marabou Road Runners .... casting & Pushing. I've even been known to be fairly successful with plastics in Winter (casting from bank), but haven't fished much in Winter over the past several years.

As far as "presentations" : I use them in most all the different presentations that I choose, depending on the lake & its current conditions and the "where & when" of the fish's location.

Like "need2be" ... I grew up throwing the 1/8oz Doll Fly on occasion, back in the 60's, and they only came in white, yellow, or black. In those days, we threw white for Crappie or White Bass & yellow or black for Black Bass. But, Doll Fly's weren't "marabou" ... they were actually Polar Bear hair.

Post Thanks / Like

Year round on certain days, I always try them, during the day!
    Likes peterbilt379 LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Try 'em out in a clear fruit jar full of water. jiggle them up and down, back and forth. This gives the truth of the pudding.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Thanks Hat55 thanked you for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast