Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: saving your float

Post Thanks / Like

Default saving your float

I've developed a set up with slip floats that helps to keep from losing your float. I use 10 to 12 lb primary line. First put on bobber stop, then bead then slip float then torpedo sliding weight then another bead and then tie on a barrel swivel. To the bottom of the barrel swivel, I use a #2 to #4 snelled hook rigged on line of no more than 6lb test. The hook will usually go through the eye of the swivel then run the hook back through the snell loop, wallah! You're tied on. If you get hung, you can usually break the snelled 6lb line without losing what is above the swivel. Get out another snelled hook, you are back in business. I occasionally tie my own snells using copolymar line which is less visible. Using snell hooks with a barrel swivel is handy for those who don't tie very good knots.
    I don't know about everyone, but I won't take time or effort to chase down a float if it comes off. I've saved a lot of floats with this set up.

Post Thanks / Like

Angry No Fun

Quote Originally Posted by toothpick
    I've developed a set up with slip floats that helps to keep from losing your float. I use 10 to 12 lb primary line. First put on bobber stop, then bead then slip float then torpedo sliding weight then another bead and then tie on a barrel swivel. To the bottom of the barrel swivel, I use a #2 to #4 snelled hook rigged on line of no more than 6lb test. The hook will usually go through the eye of the swivel then run the hook back through the snell loop, wallah! You're tied on. If you get hung, you can usually break the snelled 6lb line without losing what is above the swivel. Get out another snelled hook, you are back in business. I occasionally tie my own snells using copolymar line which is less visible. Using snell hooks with a barrel swivel is handy for those who don't tie very good knots.
    I don't know about everyone, but I won't take time or effort to chase down a float if it comes off. I've saved a lot of floats with this set up.
    I like to go around and pick up stray floats when I"m not fishing and this set-up would ruin my fun !

Post Thanks / Like

I do the same thing.

Snells -- don't leave home without them!

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good set-up Toothpick, I'll give it a try. I like using slip corks but always got aggravated at trying to chase them down and then re-rigging.
    That gives me an idea to try. Put a bobber stopper down close to the weight to catch the bobber before the line comes out.
    Sounds like you have it figured out pretty good. Great tip!
    CATCH A BIG-UN

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Great tip. I'll add it to my bag of tricks too.

old ship
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing.

trackeryak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by slabbandit
    That gives me an idea to try. Put a bobber stopper down close to the weight to catch the bobber before the line comes out.
    I'm going to give this a try, I bet it would save a lot of floats.

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea.

I think with the price of gas the way it is now. I'm not going to chase down many floats.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FisherMike
    Good idea.

I think with the price of gas the way it is now. I'm not going to chase down many floats.
    and i plan to fish closer to the boat ramp. may not even run the big motor
    Brian

Will fish for food!

charliebob Guest

This works for me,i put a small split shot about 6 inches above my jig.lose the jig and save the float.