Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Topping aluminum deck with plywood for stability?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Topping aluminum deck with plywood for stability?

I have a 17/54 express with two milennium rod holders mounted on the deck. The aluminum flexes and the rod holders move more than I would like. I'm thinking about taking a sheet of 3/4 treated plywood, putting marine carpet on it, and carriage bolting it to my deck. Then remounting my rod holders and seat bases. I think it will really sturdy up everything. Has anyone ever done this or something similar? Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you

catchNgrease is offline Crappie.com 3K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I went this way with it. It allows the holders to slide and the fasteners are spread over a bigger area.Name:  KIMG0176.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  54.0 KB

Sent from my E6810 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Be careful with the plywood, will add quite a bit of weight. Does anyone know if the new treatment for plywood is safe with aluminum?
    I would go with something like catchNgrease posted. Not much weight, will never rot or warp.
    Drinkin coffee, missin fish.
    Likes Mikew22 LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Be careful with the treated wood and the aluminum. Could react and corrode and basically dissolve the aluminum. I also join in with the vote for stabilization plates instead of plywood.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I would get a piece of 1/8 aluminum cut to fit deck and put it on top and pop rivit it down.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes Mikew22, Redge LIKED above post

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Since 2004 treated wood has been treated with copper which will interact with aluminum. You could safely use it if you put a sheet of rubber or plastic between the wood and aluminum. However, as already mentioned, a sheet of 3/4 plywood is very heavy.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest aluminum plates underneath the rod holder bases. The wider and longer they are will only give it more strength.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

And if the you insist on using wood, it is far better on the aluminum to get you some regular plywood and put several coats of marine Spar on it. Both sides and especially the edges. Plywood will have some gaps at spots where for what ever reason the laminate is not their, male sure to get the spar in the hole deep to prevent rotting from moisture. Good luck.
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    1980 Ebbtide Dyna-Trak 160 Evinrude 65 Triumph
    Likes Mikew22, skeetbum LIKED above post

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesdean View Post
    And if the you insist on using wood, it is far better on the aluminum to get you some regular plywood and put several coats of marine Spar on it. Both sides and especially the edges. Plywood will have some gaps at spots where for what ever reason the laminate is not their, male sure to get the spar in the hole deep to prevent rotting from moisture. Good luck.
    Marine plywood doesn't have those gaps. But it sure leaves a very wide gap in your wallet.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Likes Cane Pole, skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    Be careful with the treated wood and the aluminum. Could react and corrode and basically dissolve the aluminum. I also join in with the vote for stabilization plates instead of plywood.
    Thanks I've never heard of treated wood and aluminum having a reaction. I will definitely be researching into that if I go with wood.

Sent from my moto z3 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast