HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad weather crappie question...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad weather crappie question...

Why is it difficult to catch Crappie in bad weather?

Is it that the fish shut down and don’t eat? Or, is it that it’s difficult for fishermen to present a bait that they can see and therefore react to?

I realize the challenge for me being able to get out on choppy water with rain, wind and cold temps in a possible fast current situation. I’m still trying to learn how to present the right bait during good weather. Let alone have any success in bad weather. But, assuming I could learn my part, would the fish still respond?

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My answer would be .... yes

BUT - your presentation speed "may" have to be slowed down & your bait size "may" have to be smaller - not always, but "normally" it would.

Fish gotta eat, even in frigid waters ... they just don't have to eat as often, and when they do eat it takes their slowed metabolism a lot longer to digest their food (so they're not as hungry as often).

Remember .... fish don't necessarily have to "see" a bait to know it's there. Water pressure vibrations coming off a moving bait can be "felt" thru their lateral lines, and they can "smell" the scent of your bait. Also good to know is that fish CAN "see" better & farther in cold water, than they can in very warm water.

For my ... anytime you fish in a current, you want to find the biggest current breaks available or eddy water areas (& don't forget to check out deep holes).
    Thanks catchNgrease thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The main thing, is just go fishing. Personal experience is the best teacher. I fished in about the worse conditions possible today, below a dam with flood gates open and all the turbines running from the bank. I didn't get the 1st bite for almost 2hrs and then I found a perfect little current break and the fish were in there. Even then, it took the perfect cast, count down and retrieve to get a bite. Those are things you just have to figure out on your own unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like

I down sized my baits to a 1/100 size jig and was able to get some bites then i just changed colors through out the day. i caught a limit but it took 6 plus hours to get them. I was lucky because through out the day i started in deep water 20-30 feet and ended up in 12' to finish the limit.

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the responses. This info is encouraging because for some weird reason, I enjoy being out in the inclement weather. Most people look at me funny when it’s a nasty day and I say it would be a great day to be on the water. It would be even greater if I could catch some fish, but I’m going to enjoy being out there regardless. I just might not be right in the head.

Post Thanks / Like

I find crappie to be somewhat perplexing in the weather/mood category , sometimes a real bad weather thing makes em bite hard as heck .
    but to be sure its all over the map . I have froze my hands in a driving wind and rain at 35 degrees and bought had my wrist broke and then done the same on another day without a peck .
    strange fish to deal with for sure and the only way to ever know if they are biting is to go try it .
    on a side note: right in the head is a relative thing depending on who's head your in ….
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes Jamesdean, Redge, Speck Detector LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That's right Ketchn, It's all in the head...Mine bent the bumper on a Studabaker when I was three y/o, (true fact) so I know my head ain't right...lol.
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    1980 Ebbtide Dyna-Trak 160 Evinrude 65 Triumph

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on which end of the front you're on. I fish every chance I get. But I've had some of my best days in high winds pre front, and good rain in the summer. It's all barometer change. Hit a limit last weekend in 30 mph winds, and never saw another boat. Post front seems to always put them in a funk. I'll take rain over clear skies any day of the week.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944
    Likes trypman1, Redge, ad1974 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Fish slow during winter, after a front, fish deep or on the bottom! My 2ct

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again for the input. It’s starting to look like I might actually get some time off work from now to the end of the year so hopefully I’ll get some good opportunities to get back out there. Not afraid of the weather, as long as there’s no lightning. And not afraid of the cold as long as there’s no ice on the ramp. If the Lord is willing, maybe I’ll finally be able to post some pics of fish on here... and more importantly, be able to have a fish fry.

Likes Jamesdean LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast