Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Few questions for seasoned night stalkers

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Few questions for seasoned night stalkers

I'm itching to try out the lights my wife got for me, but I have some issues eatin' at me. Normally, if conditions allow I spider rig. Is this a viable tactic for fishing with lights? I get the impression you want to be stationary when fishing submerged light, is that so? Is there any minimum to the depth of water this works best in? What about fishing light arround vegatation, namely pads? Would it be better to cast minnows under a float than spider rig? I have not made my first trip out night stalking yet and I am pretty particular about researching something before I jump. I hate to waste a trip doing it all wrong. I have been reading this site for some time and would have to say there is a whole lot of experiance and good folks willing to pass it on availiable here. Anything ya'll could clue me into would be very much appreciated. Thanks a bunch for any advice.
    K.W.

Post Thanks / Like

The lights will bring the fish to you, but it wouldn't hurt to be close to an area where the fish are already holding in cover, like vegetation or brush.
    Casting minnows under a bobber in lilly pads should catch ya some fish I would think. Don't think trolling with lights would be as productive.
    I have a jig with a face like this!:eek:

Post Thanks / Like

lights used for nightstalking serves the same function as do brushpiles in daylight fishing. they are what draws fish to the particular location you are at. nightstalking is sorta like daylight fishing in reverse. in daylight fishing you have to find the fish before you can catch em, and nightstalking they have to find you and thats what the lights do, brings em to where you are at. . ive tried trollin without lights and drifting with lights. and had no good catches. at least i dont remember ever catching anything doing it. you gonna have to segregate the two methods if you wanna be sucessful. we have a lot of nightstalkers here in this area who converted from daylight to nighttime and all of em had to realign their thoughts before they become sucessful. bass fishermen are the worst kind to try to convert to nightstalking. after gettin setup and trying it, almost all of em wanna move within a hour or so if they have no action. they cant shake that run and gun approach. the second toughest type to take nightstalkin is the daylight guys who are used to hunting the fish on brushpiles and such. if they dont get hits soon after settin up they ready to move on. personally i very seldom move once i set up. i know some good nightstalkers who may move once or twice in a night looking for a better bite and find it. but i dont know of any thats constanly moving who are as sucessful as the guys who are staying put. theres lots of good info from nightstalkers around the board. have a look around and talk to some of them. if you find one close to you, tag along on a nightstalk and you will pick up a lot of good info firsthand info which will save you money and a lot of trial and error. good luck and keep us informed of how you progress..
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

So sittin' still arround some good fish holding cover would be the place to start? Sure does sound relaxing. I have no prob with that.
    Thanks

K.W.

Post Thanks / Like

Its nice and relaxing until them pesky fish start bitin.

It helps to be super organized and rig everything up ahead of time. I just started and like most things, you learn as you go.

Post Thanks / Like

I learned myself on the technique. I always fish a point with an abrupt drop-off at the end or at the edge of the weedline on a long point. You know, where you would find the crappies during the day. Always 15-25 feet of water in the lake I fish. I use a 48" green light on each end of the boat but the white lights work too, but they will run down a battery.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply guys, Reelfoot where I fish has no real profound contour on the bottom. I've read that you want to fish the edge of the light. I dont know If I should anchor away from a patch of lilly pads so the light just reaches the edge and cast or park up in the pads, put my light over the rear of the boat and long pole from the front. Then again sitting near a bed out in a stump field is appealing too. For some reason I have never seen anyone night fishing on Reelfoot, makes me wonder.
    KW

Post Thanks / Like

Some nights if I've sat on a spot for 2-3 hours and not had many bites I have found it productive to pull up the anchors and very slowly move around a bit. Bump the trolling motor just enough to put a little angle (<45 degrees) on your lines going down into the water and then let off. Allow the boat to stop and the lines to settle back to a 'straight down' position. Sit there a few minutes and then bump the trolling motor again. This little bit of movement is often enough to trigger strikes. Again, the important word here is SLOW!!!! Move slow enough that you're not running away from all the bait fish you have attracted with your lights. Also, this doesn't work very well if there is much of a breeze, which there usually isn't at night.
    Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men...Matt 4:19

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy
    Thanks for the reply guys, Reelfoot where I fish has no real profound contour on the bottom. I've read that you want to fish the edge of the light. I dont know If I should anchor away from a patch of lilly pads so the light just reaches the edge and cast or park up in the pads, put my light over the rear of the boat and long pole from the front. Then again sitting near a bed out in a stump field is appealing too. For some reason I have never seen anyone night fishing on Reelfoot, makes me wonder.
    KW
    Could be because the snakes outnumber the skeeters at night.

Post Thanks / Like

Dog

I had an idea for nightstalking at reelfoot, was gonna do
    it, with submergable lights, in may, then I shined a
    flashlight across the lake and there were billions, not millions, of bugs. Don't think it would work well with
    lights in warm weather, but I bet submergable lights
    would work in colder weather before bugs hatch
    at the deeper end of the lake. If I lived closer I sure would give it a try.

best regards
    John B.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast