HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flotation Suit questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flotation Suit questions

I've never had a good sense of balance, but even at 47 years old, I have worse balance now than I use to and I know that's only gonna get worse. I fish as much as possible during the winter. I love cold weather fishing. I always wear my inflatable life jacket while fishing in cold water. I do though worry about my mobility in the water when I have on insulated bibs and a heavy coat, even with a life jacket on. I'm a big ol boy and it would be hard to get out of the water with my insulated clothes soaked.

What benefit do flotation suits offer over a life jacket? Are they bulky or stiff? I wouldn't like that.

We don't get hard water to fish here, but I fished several times last year with temps in the 20's and maybe once with temps in the teens. But I'd also need something that isn't so hot that I couldn't wear it when the temps were in the 40's or 50's. I'd want something I could wear as the top layer.

Enough ramblings. What do you guys who have flotation suits think of them and are there any more comfortable, less bulky than others? Do you think they offer more protection than a standard PFD?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if this will answer your questions, but I just purchased a Striker Ice Predator coat and bibs. It has built in flotation but is NOT Coast Guard approved. It is the warmest gear I have ever wore and extremely comfortable. The main reason I purchased it was for the warmth and flotation. I purchased from Striker Ice - Page 2 of 4 - Pro Fishing Supply Good Luck!!
    Thanks FurFlyin thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Striker Predator that I bought mainly for ice fishing but probably should start using it in the boat also. It’s not really any different than wearing other insulated outerwear.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a believer of the Arctic Armor brand of bib and jacket (purchased from Profishingsupply about 8 years ago. I've never worn anything as warm and light weight as this outerwear.
    I personally tested the floating aspect(in an in ground pool) fully dressed as I do while fishing during the winter months in central Illinois. I even wore my 2000 gram inferno boots.
    Just like the video shows, I floated like a cork to the top of the water and made my way to the edge of the pool and walked out.
    The only draw back is the suit is not 100% water proof. In an all day rain I have gotten wet. I bought the suit for the floating aspect and would buy another one yesterday.
    My next suit will be black in color(not red) as not to show the dirt.
    Thanks Crestliner08, FurFlyin thanked you for this post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I also have a set of ArticArmor. Bibs and jacket. Mine is camo. I like it... Brad ....Lee has a set of it if you want to look at it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

BAMA S is offline Crappie.com Legend and AL Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Brad. They are a smart decision. I wear mine all winter. Lightweight. Very warm they fit well. And have pockets everywhere. Really well thought out. Mine are five years old zippers still work good.
    Likes "G", Crestliner08, Clipper LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Mustang suit or float coat is another option. Everyone in Alaska owns a float coat.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies. I have not seen any that were advertised to be waterproof but a guy in one video I saw said his was waterproof. For those of you who have them, do they double as rain gear?

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have worn my Artic Armor fishing in the rain....never have got wet. It's good stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Just remember, you have a company called "ICE Armor" (made by Clam) and you have "Arctic Armor". They are two different animals.

I own Ice Armor and will tell you that it is a great set of gear and I have had it for many years. I wear it in the winter ice fishing and in the spring and late fall walleye fishing. I would NOT however wear it in rain. A little is ok but, the outer shell of the coat and pants are not goretex and after saturation they will start to wick to the internal liner. They also will become heavy. For that, I do not believe they would float you.

Just wanted to make sure you were not looking at one and thinking of the other. Great suit and it will keep you warm but I wouldn't trust it to float me.

I will say this: After tournament fishing and being forced to wear PFD's when the main engine is over idle speed, I have totally retrained myself to how I do things. If we are trolling and it is wet and slippery in the boat... you wear the PFD. If you have heavy cloths on of any kind in the boat... you wear the PFD. If the water temp is below 50, you wear the PFD. Once you get used to wearing one and making sure all your buddies wear one, it doesn't even seem to bother you that much. It seems anymore, the only time I take mine off when on big water is in the middle of the summer when I am trolling and that is only after I think about it. The key is to have one that is comfortable and fits properly.

Even if I had floatation clothing, I would not trust it like I do my PFD.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes cevans LIKED above post
    Thanks JD1 thanked you for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast