Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any thought ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any thought ?

I'm thinking of adding a jar or two of magic products emerald shiners to my arsenal,any thoughts on them ?

Post Thanks / Like

Naaaaa

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

When I do fish with live minnows the second I see them inactive even if they are still alive they are gone from my hook.
    Likes INDyak LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't a dead real minnow look more realistic than a plastic ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yaker View Post
    Doesn't a dead real minnow look more realistic than a plastic ?
    Yeah, but I think there's more to it than looks. To me, crankbaits look incredibly fake, but they catch a lot of fish. What does a spinnerbait look like? Beats me, but they catch a lot of bass. How many bait fish are chartreuse in color? None of 'em, but chartreuse is probably the favorite color for crappie.

I think "moving like the bait" is more important than "looking like the bait".
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Further, I disagree with the premise that live bait will catch more than plastic. I've proved (to myself) the opposite to be true more times than not. Been in a boat with fishermen that used live bait while I stayed with artificials. Most times I've done better. JMO!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes DRFISHDUCK, Dollfly LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Well,I do agree there are more imitation baits that look like absolutely nothing in the fishing world,yet catch fish.My inquiring mind wonders what if anything seperates an actual preserved minnow,from say a beetle spin beetle if both were fished only on a jig.
    By the way I catch noumerous crappie,gills,bass,and catfish on the lowly beetle spins,and love them.As far as the catching more with live vs artificial is subject to too many variables,I enjoy experimenting and use live and plastic,but this will be my first using preserved minnow's ,again,my inquiring mind !

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yaker View Post
    Well,I do agree there are more imitation baits that look like absolutely nothing in the fishing world,yet catch fish.My inquiring mind wonders what if anything seperates an actual preserved minnow,from say a beetle spin beetle if both were fished only on a jig.
    By the way I catch noumerous crappie,gills,bass,and catfish on the lowly beetle spins,and love them.As far as the catching more with live vs artificial is subject to too many variables,I enjoy experimenting and use live and plastic,but this will be my first using preserved minnow's ,again,my inquiring mind !
    One of the biggest "differences" between a preserved minnow & plastics is durability. Soft plastics will outlast live (or formerly live) bait, whether "on the hook" or "in the tackle box". I've got soft plastics that I KNOW are 40+yrs old, and are still viable/usable baits. I doubt any "pickled minner" would last that long & still be functional

And once you put one of those minnows on the hook (or jig), it's pretty much a "one & done" deal.

Will these preserved minnows catch fish .... yeah, probably (otherwise they'd have gone out of business a long time ago). But with the plastics & scent products available today, why bother with a product that's going to probably be limited to one fish/one use
    Likes "G", Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    ... with the plastics & scent products available today, why bother with a product that's going to probably be limited to one fish/one use
    Precisely why I don't use live minnows.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank fellas, I appreciate opinions and input.I am willing to experiment with the inevitable,having a jar of preserved minnow's will not take up much space in the kayak,and if they aren't catching fish,I can always eat the bait!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast