Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have the crappie bug as bad as I do?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone have the crappie bug as bad as I do?

I'm one of those unlucky ones that can only fish on weekends but this weekend will be my 30th consecutive weekend in a row fishing for crappie, a new personal best. I started fishing for crappie in Wichita, Kanasas in the late 60's with my Dad when I was around 6, then at Shenango Lake in western Pennsylvania when my Dad retired from the Air Force in the mid 70's and early 80's. I've been fishing SE Virginia since the early 90's. Four years in the Coast Guard put a damper on my crappie fishing in the mid 80's. My wife is irritated with me and says I'm obsessed with fishing for crappie and she's tired of hearing me talk about it. I've got quite a few books on crappie fishing and the first three seasons of Midwest Crappie on DVD. For some odd reason my wife doesn't share my interest in studying the chart of the lake I fish on which I always keep handy. :D Of course I blame the folks on the Virginia board for elevating my passion for crappie fishing as I have picked up some great bits of advice which directly led to me catching my first and second 2lb+ crappie (on the same day) this past November. My Dad's boat says "crappie only" on it and that has been my motto as well. I have plenty of other hobbies and interest but none of them compare with my love of being on a lake chasing giant slabs. Any others like me out there or should I seek therapy? :D

My biggest so far:

2010 NWR Bash Crappie Division Champion

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nope it's a drug. We all share the same feeling as you. If there is someone on this board that says they just go for the heck of it just to kill time, then they are liars. I honestly think it is an addiction.
    Crappie.com is the therapy.

Crappie X.
    IL board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sounds Familiar

I know what you mean. I used to go three times a week. The wife complained so bad I went to two times, and every other sunday. I guess you really cant blame em.
    Only if she knew the agony of being home during the spawn boy oh boy :D
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

I share the obsession. The only problem is I have to work, matter of fact I have to work an extra job as well just to be able to afford to go fishing. But when I do get out there it is definately therapy. I'd rather catch crappie than anything! Glad we got a site that we can all talk about it.

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey tap fancy meetin you over here! I was told by a Doctor I suffer from crappatosis AND Bassacidus!
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

Man, fishing is a obsession I was born with. I cant remember not fishing. My wife gave up getting mad years ago. My job allows me to fish alot. This is early April and I am already over 70 days this year chasing fish. There is a trade off though. There is no fishing from mid Sep. through Thanksgiving, so I miss fall fishing wich I think is the best fishing of the year, but thats life I reckon. Sometimes after four or five days strait of it I say to myself- its time to give this a break I,m about to get burned out, but then I wake up the next morning itching with excitment to wet a jig. I just cant help it, I love this stuff.
    Biguns only:D

Post Thanks / Like

seek therapy!! You will find it on the water while holding a fishin pole. send the wife shoppin or something. Mine gives me one day a week for fishin. I am working on getting 2.
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

flslabhunter Guest

Default Yep!

I am a school teacher and I fish every weekend, usually both days. We have spring break this week, and I fished everyday. Even today when we had 25 mph winds. When slabs are the size that we catch in Florida, it is hard not to become addicted. I would say, hope you can kick the habit, but why would you want to! Nothing better. Here is my son with a 2lb+ 15 incher. He's got the bug at 7.

Flslabhunter
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieHound
    What kind of job is that....????
    It has to do with cotton gins, and there is a opening for someone with electrical, mechanical, hydraulic and PLC troubleshooting skills
    Biguns only:D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast