Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Do Bass drive off the Crappie in an area?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do Bass drive off the Crappie in an area?

Last Winter I put in a couple of PVC crappie trees that I built. I went fishing a week later and caught some nice crappie from these newly installed PVC trees. But this spring they seemed empty of crappie. I fished them yesterday and I was catching small 12" bass from these trees. They were put in 15ft to 20ft deep water along a dropoff.

I am wondering if the bass have taken over my crappie trees and driven off the crappies?
    Last edited by Moose1am; 06-05-2004 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Added more information
    Regards,

Moose1am

Bob G is offline Moderator Keystone Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am
    Last Winter I put in a couple of PVC crappie trees that I built. I went fishing a week later and caught some nice crappie from these newly installed PVC trees. But this spring they seemed empty of crappie. I fished them yesterday and I was catching small 12" bass from these trees. They were put in 15ft to 20ft deep water along a dropoff.

I am wondering if the bass have taken over my crappie trees and driven off the crappies?

Moose, I wouldn't think bass that size would drive them off, but, those 5lb and larger might. It might be that the weather or pressure may have made the fish move off and suspend in open water. Just my thoughts on the subject.
    Bob Griffith
    Ice Team Power Stick
    Clam Corp. Pro Staff
    Keystone Crappie Association member

Post Thanks / Like

Moose Ive caught bass and crappie in the same spot on occassion.That dont really amount to a hill of beans but they seemed to be coinciding.
    Commercial fishermen help feed the world.

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Moose, a couple of weeks ago i caught a 4# 23" largemouth from the same brushpile i was catching crappies and the crappies never did stop biting that day. So i dont think the bass chase the crappies from the cover. Like Bob G said, maybe they just were suspended and you were fishing under them..... It's happened to me many times. Next time try fishing shallower over the same pile and see if that helps.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation probably not .........

Crappie aren't going to "stay" on one spot forever .... they will move for a variety of reasons (temp, water clarity, light penetration, moving foodsource). The "unoccupied" PVC tree has been found by a school of roaming Bass, and offers them a "Staging" point to hold on. This too will change ... and the Crappie will be back again.
    Take pride in the fact that your "trees" are obviously in a good spot, and are working to draw fish to them ! ................cp

Post Thanks / Like

Moose, I found the same thing. I have a hump that I fish and when the smallmouth move up on it the crappie move out.
    I don't know if the time of the spawn effects it or not. Is the water clear or dingy? In my situation when the water is clear the bass move off and the reverse when it is dingy.

Post Thanks / Like

Moose, I've been catching bass and crappies from the same structures. In clearer water though, I do see bigger bass chasing really small crappies and bluegills to eat, but they don't seem to bother the bigger crappies. Like CP said, the crappies roam from place to place and from what I see from my home lake, the crappies are done spawning and moved out while the bass are beginning to spawn and moved in.