HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rod building kit

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod building kit

I did a search and didn't see anything on this subject. Have any of you folks used a rod building kit like the ones Mudhole.com sells? I keep seeing them advertised on World Fishing channel and finally looked them up this morning. For the price of the complete kit, I can buy a pretty nice rod but assembling one myself is a little enticing. Just curious if other CDC members have done this or if it's a novelty item and I should avoid.

Thanks in advance for any replies..
    Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me"

Wear that PFD, the life you save might be your own!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by need2befishin View Post
    I did a search and didn't see anything on this subject.
    There's a whole sub-forum devoted to it. The moderator, wicklundrh, is an expert on rod building.

https://www.crappie.com/crappie/rod-building-forum/

Post Thanks / Like

My bad, thanks...please delete my thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    There's a whole sub-forum devoted to it. The moderator, wicklundrh, is an expert on rod building.

https://www.crappie.com/crappie/rod-building-forum/

I still can't find anything concerning my specific question. I have followed some of wicklundrh post and he is an expert on the subject. I am a regular Joe and figured I would ask other "regular Joe's" if they had any real life experience with such a kit. I'm going fishing!!

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I still can't find anything concerning my specific question. I have followed some of wicklundrh post and he is an expert on the subject. I am a regular Joe and figured I would ask other "regular Joe's" if they had any real life experience with such a kit. I'm going fishing!!

Kits are a good way to get started if you have never built one before. Everything is matched up for you. You can call them up and they will help you select something that would fit your needs. Another place is GitBitOutdoors that sell all kinds of rod building supplies. Jann's net craft also offers kits. Sure you can just go buy a rod but the satisfaction you get is much better when you catch fish on one you built.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes Jamesdean LIKED above post
    Thanks need2befishin thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cray View Post
    Kits are a good way to get started if you have never built one before. Everything is matched up for you. You can call them up and they will help you select something that would fit your needs. Another place is GitBitOutdoors that sell all kinds of rod building supplies. Jann's net craft also offers kits. Sure you can just go buy a rod but the satisfaction you get is much better when you catch fish on one you built.

Thank you sir for the reply. As you said, it would be really cool to catch fish on one I built myself. Thank you for the other places to look at kits also.

Post Thanks / Like

I still can't find anything concerning my specific question.
    That forum was just started a few months ago and doesn't have a lot of posts yet.

Start a thread in there, too.

skeetbum is online now Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

In years past I have built some rods for myself, mostly utilitarian with few bells and whistles. They did good and caught lots of fish, and it was cool to occasionally show them off. What you will need most on your first one is patience. If you can find that then I would advise you to give it a go with an open mind. A fancy butt winding that matches on all your rods and no one else’s is very cool too. Like anything else fishing, never know until you try. Keep us posted.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes Redge, Jamesdean LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

While I have built a lot of rods I have never tried a kit. When building a rod for yourself the whole idea is to end up with something designed for your own exact needs and preferences. Finding that in someone else’s idea of a predesigned kit might be challenging. You might try the rod building thread and seek some input. If all else fails give me a call and I’ll see if I can help with design ideas.
    Likes SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

The kits are a good place to start, but you definitely will not come out ahead, at least in the early part, because you'll need a rod dryer also. Also, it is not hard to pick the parts you want yourself if there is not a kit you like. Once you start building, you'll notice how sloppy factory rods can be. Not that sloppiness will affect the fishability, but you'll see gaps in threads, sloppy thread finish, etc. What type of build do you have in mind? length? what type of bait? etc?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast