HaHa HaHa:  0

View Poll Results: Which line do you use/prefer for crappie fishing?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • mono

54 78.26%
  • fluorocarbon

3 4.35%
  • braid

14 20.29%
  • nanofil

3 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Line Preference

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line Preference

I am sure everyone has a personal choice but I am curious as to the different line types and the general preferences for crappie fishing. I will start, though obviously, I am considering things right now, so take my comments with a grain of salt. There three line types that come to mind for me - mono, fluorocarbon, and braid - though I am seeing a 4th kind (or is it just a brand?) nanofil. When I am in around brush and structure with my long poles I need to go with 6lb high-vis mono of a quality brand. I have started to do some crank and jig pushing and for that, I need to use a braid with a fluorocarbon leader - get a good feel for things that way (or at least that is what seems to be the case) and I am not at as much of a risk of a hang.

So, opinions are welcomed and someone explain nanofil to me as well.

Thanks.

Didn't know you could do a poll until I was looking at the options. Scientific data collection.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's sixteen pages of reading material, but I will summarize. Everybody uses different line. Everybody catches fish.

https://www.crappie.com/crappie/main...s-mono-choose/
    Thanks Redge thanked you for this post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I can’t vote. I use them all at different times. For me, they all do a slightly different job.

The Nanofil I use is 2 & 4 lb and you would think they would behave pretty much the same, but at this time I think they are just a little different. Let me start with characteristics. No stretch, so better hookset and better contact. I feel everything that goes on with my jig. Like regular braid, it also has no memory. It is in a class of its own for casting very light offerings. A negative trait is that it has little to no abrasion resistance. Fish coming straight up, you can see it. Fish lays over sideways to make another pull, line rubs the teeth in the process, say goodbye cuz the line just parted. A 4lb leader about 5’ long takes care of this. The 2lb is what I use most and it is more like one of the strands that braid is made of than anything else I can describe. Tough stuff though. Big fish so far on the 2lb is a 2 1/2lb LMB that was very unhappy with me. Gave the little stuff a good test. The 4lb has all these traits also but so far is just a bit stiffer, which will probably soften some the more it’s used. It will cast a 1/16 longer than any mono close to its size, so I usually have a 1/32 tied to it. It isn’t for everyone and I wouldn’t use it trolling or spider rigging. Slab, next time we share a boat I’ll put it in your hands.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

When single pole jigging I use braid only.... I love it it's so sensitive and strong in my opinion it can't be beat! Especially if in thick brush! I spider rig with 8lb been using slime line lately and it's done great! And pull cranks with 10lb mono....

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Any line will catch fish. It all depends upon how dedicated you are to a particular style of fishing. Up here in the northeast, we are limited as to how many rods/rigs each fisherman is allowed, by law, to use. In my state, it's just two rods (or lures) per fisherman - period. So you have to make due with what you are restricted to.

And we fish relatively open water here, using UL rods and 2# test lines, with 1/16 - 1/8 oz. jigs, and/or small crankbaits. So what works well for us would not necessarily work for folks further down south, fishing heavy brush and tree tops.

And remember one thing that Elwood "Buck" Perry (the acknowledged "father of structure fishing") said many times; which is that the rod, reel, line & lure are just tools to achieve the only goal that is required to catch fish. That is depth & speed control of your offering. Everything else is just one person's perspective/preference over another.

Personally, I favor fused lines such as Fireline Crystal, with a 4' - 5' fluorocarbon leader. This gives me excellent long distance hook-set control for a main line, with the leader excelling in abrasion resistance (forget about the "invisibility" hype). Using this line in 2# test, I've taken a lot of really large fish over the past couple of decades. It may/may not be everyone's cup of tea. But it certainly has worked wonders for us up in this neck of the woods.

Regardless of what line you use, don't get tied up in your socks with arguments of one line/lure/etc., being "better" than another. Instead, use what you have, based on your experience and for goodness sake, enjoy one our finest sports - crappie fishing!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes SuperDave336, Tom 513 LIKED above post

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

jigging = p-line fluorocarbon, pulling cranks and spider rig= Stren 8-10 lb. test original .

Post Thanks / Like

single pole shallow water jigging with braid --- Sufix nano braid
    -------> "Go ahead --- leave me on the dock --- see if I care" <-------

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't choose braid to cast I have never had any luck using it for casting... my braid is simply used on a 10 ft jig pole with a bucks mini reel

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 10 # mono...high vis yellow for everything

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes bflowers LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using braid with fluorcarbon leader for the last several years for bass and the last year for crappie. The lake I mainly fish for crappie is probably stained enough to not worry about leader but I guess it's a confidence thing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast