Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mounting Trolling Motor — Need Advice

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mounting Trolling Motor — Need Advice

Is there a way to switch between a regular foot controlled trolling motor and a remote controlled type motor? I want to be able to swap between the two and not have to mount each one separately. I have looked into the MK Quick Release Brackets but I’m not sure the Puck placement will work for both. Any suggestions????

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Check this one out. Think it might work for what you are wanting to do. Might have to drill a couple extra holes but that shouldn't be a problem.
    Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I use this https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoo...cket-mka-16-03 I don't swap out motors but it facilitates easy removal. I have a padlock on it to unfacilitate unwanted removal.

Post Thanks / Like

To start with I had a Fortrex 80 with a Lowrance HDI puck...worked good, could get both 2d and downscan. Went to a Motorguide xi5, tried to put another HDI puck but it just wasn't worth the hassle especially when I was in spot lock. On the boat I have a minnkota quick release mount (as the base) and the Fortrex slips in and out rather easily....put a Motorguide quick release mount on the xi5 and it slips right into the minnkota bottom bracket (had to drill a couple of holes) but both the Fortrex and the xi5 are quick release now. Had to use my own "lock in" screw for the motor guide to keep it from slipping....very minor. Very satisfied with my setup.
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    For those who believe, no explanation is necessary....for those who don't, no explanation is possible
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cray View Post
    Check this one out. Think it might work for what you are wanting to do. Might have to drill a couple extra holes but that shouldn't be a problem.
    Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear
    This is what I use. Had to drill holes for ulterra, but simple to do. I have one on my jon boat and pondtoon. Simple design and all metal.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Cray, in fact, I am supersized that someone hasn't used something of this design to extend/retract the TMs overhand.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I would think this would be a Pain in the Wazoo with small sonar that the Cable locks into the Base Mount.