Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: temperature dropped fast

crappienewbe Guest

Default temperature dropped fast

I'm totally a new comer when it comes to crappie fishing. What do you do when the temp drops from in the 80's down to the 30's and 40's in just a few days how deep should we go? Also whats the best way to hook a minnow? Should I use a 4lb test line? Remember I said I was new to this we always use worms.

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm certainly no expert, and we do have a few here that might help. With the time of year it is (spawn time) and the weather (warm). The fish have been shallow. The temp drop will make them move deeper true. But, I don't think they will be in the deep deep water. I'd try the mouths of coves or drop offs from the coves. I never fished for crappie with worms. I keep those for bream and catfish. I use minnows most of the time. Others are more proficient at jigs.
    Good luck, and welcome to CDC!
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Post Thanks / Like

:D Do like I'm gonna do. Leave the boat parked until next weekend and go shopping to replinish my jigs!

bobberdown is offline Slabmaster II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Here the temps have dropped 30 degrees and still dropping. The crappie was on the banks three day's ago and now they are in 15 to 20' of water off the banks. Got reports of some slab females being caught suspended in 25' at the 15' level. Smaller males at 12'.
    I use 4# test SOS line and have had nothing but great results with it. I use a Crappie magnet Jig, but if I use a minnow I hook it through the dorsal or through the eyes.
    Snow for tonight. Some of the crappie have not spawned yet, but I bet the spawn will be in deeper water if the cold spell holds on for more than a week.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Newbe ......

Quote Originally Posted by crappienewbe
    I'm totally a new comer when it comes to crappie fishing. What do you do when the temp drops from in the 80's down to the 30's and 40's in just a few days how deep should we go? Also whats the best way to hook a minnow? Should I use a 4lb test line? Remember I said I was new to this we always use worms.
    You've come to the right place !! You'll get all kinds of opinions and tips from the site members.

Generally speaking ... the weather doesn't normally do a 40deg nosedive, and when it does, the length of time it remains so is the more important factor. This is especially true during the spawning period. Chances are, it will bring the spawn to a screeching halt, put the fish off their feed, send them to the nearest deep water, and things won't get back to normal until the weather returns to more "normal" conditions.
    There's no real ONE "best way" to hook a minnow ... it depends on how you're fishing with it. Hooking it thru the back, between the dorsal fin and backbone, is good for fishing tightline (straight down) ... and so is hooking it thru the eye socket (esp. if you're moving the boat, or if you're moving the minnow around ... as in going from one piece of cover to another, and dropping the minnow around that cover). Tail hooking a minnow, when fishing close to the bottom or just above submerged cover, can be effective. Tail hooked minnows usually try and swim upwards ... thus keeping them from getting into the cover below. When casting a minnow, usually on a jighead, hooking the minnow under the "chin" and out between the nostrils will keep the minnow alive and active.

Use whatever pound test line that's productive, works best with the equipment you're using it on, and for whatever method/technique that you are using it for. I use 4lb & 6lb hi-vis mono for casting & dock shooting with weedless jigs. I also use other pound tests, and other types of lines, for other methods ... such as 10/2 PowerPro braid, for casting non-weedless type jigs ... and 20lb Spiderwire, for minnow/float fishing around heavy cover.

While worms will catch Crappie ... minnows tend to work better/more often. And jigs are just minnow imitations, for the most part. What bait to use, generally depends on what the fish are used to feeding on ... and how easily and accurately you can present it to them, and get it and keep it in their strike zone.

These are just my opinions, on the subjects in question ... and I'm sure others will agree and/or disagree with them. That's fine, and in no way diminishes the effectiveness or value of either of our opinions. It just proves that no one way is the only way

...... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Crappienewbe, Just my 2 cents, If you were catching fish near the banks with this blackberry winter check the nearest brush or trash in deeper water, don`t think they will go far, I allways use 4# line and when I fish minnows I hook them under their mouth and out the nostrils but I catch more with jigs. Like I said my 2 cents and this web site has a lots of good fishermen with good advice. One thing I know is you can`t catch em if you don`t go... Good Luck. Dennis

Post Thanks / Like

It was 80 degrees here in the Cincinnati area Tuesday, then to 45 Wednesday, and I'm not sure it got to 40 today. 30 mph winds both days. My boat is sitting covered next to the house. Fished two tournaments back to back weekends in 70 degree plus weather. Now if I get out this weekend I'll probably have coveralls on. I don't know how the crappie feel about the sudden change, but as for me....well, I can't express that on a family site like this, if ya know what I mean.
    If the temperature drops and stays steady for a few days, the bite may come around, just not on the banks. Look in somewhat deeper water, not too far from where you found them when it was warm. They'll suspend out there till the temps come around, then make their way back to the shallows. If you caught them deeper before the water warmed and the spawn movement began, try back in the same area and depth.
    As far as hooking minnows, I always hook through the lips, in the bottom and out the top. So many guys do it so many ways, I'm not sure what is best. It's just the way I do it.
    Keep in mind, these are my observations and opinions. If anything is guarunteed in crappie fishing, it is that as soon as you think you have 'em figured out, they'll prove ya wrong. Just keep changing a little here and there till ya locate 'em and find what they want.
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

crappienewbe Guest

Thumbs up Thanks Everyone

Thank you all for your great opinions. They are a huge help. We have never fished for crappie before so all ideas will be put to use. We love this site and we'll definitely be visiting often. Good luck to everyone!!

Happy Fishing! :D