HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weedless?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weedless?

When I'm fishing docks, etc. (mainly on LOZ), I've always used jig with an open hook (preferably sickle hook). What is everyone's opinion on fishing weedless jigs? And if you use them, do you rig it weedless (texas rig) or use the soft plastic, wire, or other type weed guards?

Post Thanks / Like

The only time I use weedless while vertical jigging is if I'm using a double jig rig in brushpiles.

Post Thanks / Like

I pretty much only fish LOZ...and 95.678% of the time ONLY fish plain weedless jig heads with a brush guard when jig fishing. I have some colored jig heads in my tackle box but really think color is way over rated. Only time I fish a non weedless colored head is when I'm slip corking a jig shallow and know I won't get hung up. For me it is all about matching the jig body color with the water clarity plus presentation, and the color of the head has little to with it. You can paint your own weedless jig heads if you want but I rather save time/money and buy them in bulk...and I much rather fish a weedless head than be hung up with a colored non weedless head. I know color was not really the question but kinda thought it went along with the topic since most non weedless heads are painted. Heck Jcherky throws that bullfrog buster and yanks them left and right, and I've never even seen that color before.....
    "In my father's house are many mansions..." John 14:2
    Likes fishin_addict LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I use weedless (nylon weed guards) about 90% of the time and still catch my share of fish,years ago I wouldn't touch one cause I thought I missed fish with them but found out I catch more fish cause now I get down in that brush with them.
    Likes fishin_addict LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiedave55 View Post
    I use weedless (nylon weed guards) about 90% of the time and still catch my share of fish,years ago I wouldn't touch one cause I thought I missed fish with them but found out I catch more fish cause now I get down in that brush with them.
    So I'm basically where you were years ago, but am thinking I'm going to transition to weedless when working banks and brush piles.

Post Thanks / Like

JCherky here and YEH what Lil Baby said.
    If we did what was most important in life there
    would be a shortage of Bibles.................and fishing poles

Post Thanks / Like

I used to be scared of weedless, but I got over in a big way. I make my own.

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been using weedless 100% of the time for over a year. I was the same way for years and I would not touch one. Once I was shown how to trim the fiberguard and gave them a try I was sold. I like to fish beds and brush that I and others have placed around and between trees. No more wasted time tying on jigs all the tome from straighting hooks out. Also keeps from disturbing a pile from trying to free a hung jig. I really like the Timmy Tom weedless minnow heads and his bladed weedless heads.
    Name:  BD493FA6-16AC-4599-B610-F998867154F1.jpeg
Views: 573
Size:  68.8 KB
    Name:  C56B31FC-86A9-4E49-A6EA-3FDC2A3D24DF.jpeg
Views: 580
Size:  25.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Can you elaborate on how you trim the fiber guard? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigging15 View Post
    I have been using weedless 100% of the time for over a year. I was the same way for years and I would not touch one. Once I was shown how to trim the fiberguard and gave them a try I was sold. I like to fish beds and brush that I and others have placed around and between trees. No more wasted time tying on jigs all the tome from straighting hooks out. Also keeps from disturbing a pile from trying to free a hung jig. I really like the Timmy Tom weedless minnow heads and his bladed weedless heads.
    Name:  BD493FA6-16AC-4599-B610-F998867154F1.jpeg
Views: 573
Size:  68.8 KB
    Name:  C56B31FC-86A9-4E49-A6EA-3FDC2A3D24DF.jpeg
Views: 580
Size:  25.3 KB
    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishin_addict View Post
    When I'm fishing docks, etc. (mainly on LOZ), I've always used jig with an open hook (preferably sickle hook). What is everyone's opinion on fishing weedless jigs? And if you use them, do you rig it weedless (texas rig) or use the soft plastic, wire, or other type weed guards?
    When casting or shooting docks I use weedless jigs about 99% of the time. Most of the time I'm using one with a Y shaped plastic guard, but the fiber "brush" style works very well, too.

1/16oz ballhead jig w/#2 Aberdeen hook

"Brush style" at top
    "Y guard" style at bottom

I have mine custom made by Grousefly (Paul Mullins/P&S Custom Tackle), who also makes other versions of weedless jigheads :

Likes Jigging15 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast