Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New to the Forum Question?

neches_fisher Guest

Default New to the Forum Question?

HI there. My name is Justin and I live in Tyler, Texas. I usually do river fishing and sometimes lake. Anywayz, I have a question. I really enjoy panfishing for crappie, bluegill, perch, etc. Well, I purchased a panfish/crappie rod last night at wal-mart because I was interested in fishing with one of them. Problem is, I dont know how to use it, lol. Its 10' feet in length with extendible sections. Has one eyelet on the very tip and a line keeper down by where you hold the rod. Just wondering if some of you could tell me exactly how to use it. Like, whats the eyelet for? Whats the line keeper for? All help is appreciated, Thanks.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you have a common collapsible fiberglass pole of which I have many. Run your line through the eye and tie the line to the pole just behind it. On a 10 ft pole, I usually use 11-12 ft of line, but that is just my preference. Now when you are done fishing and hopefully have your limit. Collapse the pole, and wind the line around the 2 keepers. Presto, you are done and ready for the next trip.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

neches_fisher Guest

Thanks for replying. I look forward to using this and hopefully getting some nice crappie. Thanks again, Justin

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neches_fisher
    Thanks for replying. I look forward to using this and hopefully getting some nice crappie. Thanks again, Justin
    Keep posting and welcome to the board.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Justin, I use a similar set up all of the time. IBNFSN's advice is good. I often string mine with high test line and then use very light line for a leader. That way, if I get snagged, the light line will break and it is very easy to tie on a new leader. If you use the rig you bought properly, you can catch as many fish with it as you can any other rig.

Post Thanks / Like

I use these poles almost exclusively for slow trolling. You can get lengths up to 20ft. and when using multiple poles, using different lengths will let you cover more water.
    I usually use 4# test line because the thicker line causes more drag on the bait and requires more weight to keep the bait down, sometimes to the point of sinking your float. I like to use the smallest possible float so the fish has less resistance when he bites.
    Just my 2 cents worth.- Brad Baker
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Post Thanks / Like

One more thing, when you go to collapse the poles make sure you have the butt end resting against a firm surface or you will knock the cap off the butt and ruin the threads that hold it on. You can still use the pole but storage will be more difficult.
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Post Thanks / Like

Default River fishing question

neches_fisher,
    You said in your first post that you river fish for crappie. Are you fishing in a fast current river or a lazy slow current river?
    I have a tape with Bill Dance and he is fishing in the quiet areas of a pretty fast moving river. I am very interested in learning about this type of fishing.
    It will come in handy in the Atchafalaya Basin when the water starts to drop.
    Do you also fish the quiet areas? Do you drop structure to fish over? Any word of advice would really help.

In regards to your post about the telescoping rod. I found it handy to add some telescoping rod eyes to mind (about $3.95 for a set) They slide over the tip and move together as you collapse the rod. I find they help keep my line from wrapping aroung the rod while fishing.
    I can't leave now; They fixen to turn on.

Post Thanks / Like

Deacon we fish tidal creeks and rivers that can have a good current when the wind and tide run together, fish the stuff that breaks the current like cypress trees and log jambs. Also try the up current side of cypress trees where the knees break the current, there can be some big crappies ther waiting to ambush bait carried by the current. Look for holes or even slight depressions on the bottom they will break the current and hold fish too. One of the rivers we fish has pilings from and old bridge that were cut off flush with the bottom and have since washed out about 6'' to 8'' around them and are loaded with fish in the middle of the summer. It's hard to even see the piles on the depthfinder because of the rubble on the bottom, we follow the old roadbed on shore till we snag one of the piles. I think even a little break in current can hold fish.

neches_fisher Guest

Deacon, the river I fish is is usually slow current. Sometimes when it rains good it gets up and moves a little quicker. When it does get a little quicker, I fish spots that are pretty still and not really moving. There are alot of places like this you just have to look for them. Look for structures of some sort and they will usually have some slow spots around them due to the current having to move around, over or through them. Good luck, Justin