HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I-pilot and trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default I-pilot and trolling

For longlining who uses I-pilot? Who doesn't? How important, unimportant is it to you?

Post Thanks / Like

I troll a lot with my I pilot and have to use the auto anchor when I want to fish spots.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

That’s a question you’ll have to answer for yourself. If you primarily troll both the I-Pilot and auto pilot will both do just fine. I face backwards and troll for 5 or 6 hours and never come off the motor with the auto pilot making all the small corrections to keep me going in the right direction. There are advantages to the I-Pilot that make it worth the money, and I sometimes wish that I had spent the extra for it. For 7 or 8 years I have depended on what i bought with no regrets. The spot lock is the one option I wish for most. For the durability mine has shown me, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend the better of your options because you will have it for quite some time. I will say that when I’m not trolling I like having the foot pedal when it’s time to move and my hands are busy, I use it all the time. Power level is another variable that I’m kinda stuck on. My boat came with a 24volt 54lb cable steer that would not hold it in the wind. If my PD-V2 with 70 lbs won’t hold me in a wind, I don’t need to be there. 70 or 80 lbs for me, better enough than not quite. Good luck with your decision.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes timd3200, cva34 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Is it absolutely necessary? - No
    Does it make pushing and pulling jigs WAY easier? - Oh, yeah!

I had a Minn-Kota Powerdrive V2 that I converted to i-Pilot and wow, I'm glad I did. Best money I ever spent on a trolling motor.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies! Tom, that's exactly what I'm debating now. I have co-pilot and the foot pedal but not thrilled dealing with those and rods, especially when alone. I suppose I had my mind made up to do what you have but wanted to get some input.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had my MinnKota Terrova 24 volt 80 lb thrust with I Pilot for over 7 years now..... i love it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I’m on my third Terrova with iPilot over the last several years. I wouldn’t have another boat without it as I troll year round.
    Thanks cva34 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Man I tell you what it's like having a Guide with you all the time. I don't know how I ever did it with out it. Bite the bullet spend the money your gonna absolutely love it.
    You know me, I'm always ready for a road trip. Chip Newest member of Traveling Team Overalls

Post Thanks / Like

When I got my terrova I quit touching an anchor. I use the remote anywhere on my toon. Still have to pay attention but it’s definitely worth having. I would like it follow my track better at slow speeds better. I have the older link version so believe the newer version link w Bluetooth and a heading sensor would do that better since it spot locks better.

tlefire is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Best thing I've had on my boat. You won't be disappointed.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90 four stroke
    Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Livescope Terrova 24v Ionic lithium batteries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast