PDA

View Full Version : WHO MENTORED YOU? PLEASE RESPOND. Thank you.

shipahoy41
04-05-2007, 06:15 AM
PLEASE respond in this thread who you look up to and encouraged you with fishing. Who was your fishing mentor? I posted this originally as "Looking for a hero" and only got two responses. I am a retired school principal who is working at Midfield High School. I work with seven autistic and non verbal high school special ed minority students. I am asking members of Crappie.com to PLEASE send them a letter or something to encourage them. These are at risk minority students and I know Crappie fishermen and women can be a positive influence in their life. It could also be a T-shirt, an autographed picture, a lure, a letter, whatever. Let the Lord lead you and use you. Any shirts should be size large or extra large.

Everybody has a hero or a mentor they look up to when it comes to fishing. Other than my dad, my biggest heroes are Steve MacCadams. and Wally Marshall, and Jerry McKinnis. Steve takes the time and encourages me through responding to emails, Jerry McKinnis always closed his show saying "Dedicated to me dad who always had time to take me fishing, and Mr. Crappie always has a wealth of knowledge he shares with others through his website.

Please send it to:

Students in room 15 .:)

Please Send it today if you can.
c/o Michael Carter
Midfield High School
1600 High School Drive
Midfield, AL 35228

This was posted by DAVID WATERS under "Looking for a hero:

both my dad and my grandfather always had time to take me fishing. While it wasn't crappie fishing, it was fishing of somekind. Also, we hunted as well. I can't remember at any time my grandfather (papa) ever saying he couldn't go. I called him usually when my father had to work weekends or whatever.

They instilled in me an absolute love for the outsdoors. I think about it so much, it is almost a charecter flaw!

I am a band director and we have student interns all the time from a local university. I always tell them if they don't have a hobby, they need to get one. I usually take them fishing at least once during the semester. We have one now named Matt and I have taken him twice so far. He has the bug bigtime. He said when he gets a job, one of the first things on his list to do is look for a decent boat to crappie fish in.
Pickwick, Wilson, Wheeler, Cedar, and all BCDA lakes

This was posted by GRIZZ under "Looking For A Hero.
I was a self motivated fisherman as a child. I just loved it from the get go, but my parents did get me started by taking the whole family fishing a few times a year. My dad liked to fish and he took me if I asked him once in a while, but what he did was love the outdoors in general, and though he didn't really include me in that on purpose it really rubbed of on me, and I appreciate that.

My mom loved to fish and still does. She used to get bad headaches when I was a child (I was the youngest of 5) , and she would ask me to take her out in the rowboat to fish for a while and the headache would go right away. I was also an active participant in the crappiethon tournys when they were around, and except for one year she was always my partner and I wish she was the year that she wasn't. One year out of over 200 people she won the big fish pot, and we always placed in the money. We were the only Mother/son team and she always got quite a lot of recognition for that and also being the oldest lady in the tournys. People from the tournys still ask me how she is 15 yrs later. She a great lady.

The other person who influenced my love for fishing is my neighbor and good friend Denny Brown. I still remember the first day I met him when I was 5 yrs old. He was building his house and was up straddled on the ridge pole of the roof with a hammer in his hand waving at our family as we were taking a walk down the road. Denny always found time to take me on a special fishing trip 2 or 3 times a year. He taught me fly fishing and we built rods and tied flies together, though the fly fishing thing never really rubbed of on me in the long haul. We still fish together several times a year and I count him among my most valued friends. Every kid need a friend like him while they grow up. He was always glad to see me. Hes a great man and a great friend. Take a kid fishing even if they aren't your own!

Fish today - worry tomorrow. Then again fish today and tomorrow and forget the worrying.

www.OneLastCast.net

---------------------- --------------------

I am posting them here because I would like to see all responses under this one thread. They were the first two to respond and tell the story of their mentor. Please keep the replies coming.

Thanks,

old ship:cool:

CrappiePappy
04-05-2007, 07:13 AM
Luther Thomas Cruse ... my GrandPa :

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/crappiepappy/GrandPaknewhow.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/crappiepappy/MyMentor-myGrandfather.jpg

And this is where my Crappie fishing started (in those flat bottom wooden row boats):

Red Gate Boat Dock ... Herrington Lake, KY
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/crappiepappy/RedGateBoatDockonHerringtonLake.jpg

And now I'm "mentoring" these fine folks :

My friends Carl & Lisa :

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/crappiepappy/DSCF0040.jpg

And my fishing partner, Paul :

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/crappiepappy/DSCF0046.jpg

......... cp :cool:

HotRodChevy
04-05-2007, 08:53 AM
My grandpaw was the one who got me interested in fishing.He would always have a story to tell or better yet time to take me with him.Hes in his 80's now and cant go anymore but he still loves to swap stories! I commend you for helping the special needs children,my wife taught high school age special ed herself so i know first hand it takes a special person to do it.Please keep up your support for them.

adacrappieman
04-05-2007, 09:44 AM
Easily my dad Terry Dixon Palmer. He took me fishing from the time I was old enough to pick up rocks and start throwing them when I got bored of fishing! I picked up the fishing stuff pretty quick when I landed the biggest bass I've caught til this day (a 5.5 lber) when I was 5 years old in the summer before kindergarten.

My dad kept taking me out even with his really busy schedule and even took me hunting all the time. He bought me my own tackle box when I was 7 and gave me $20 to fill it up. I remember loading it up with cheap things like split shots and cheap bobbers and hooks and crappie jigs so I could fill it up and make it look like I had a lot. I'll never forget that ever.

He wouldn't let me get down when I couldn't figure out how to tie a knot either. I griped and cried and complained and threw things down but dad still had patience with me and worked me thru it. And now I'm the guy showing him how to do the catching!

We don't have much time to fish together any more but I really cherish him. He truly is my mentor and hero.

shipahoy41
04-05-2007, 07:29 PM
Crappie Pappy,

I Thought I'd share a picture or two also with you. These individuals all had a part in creating a love of fishing and jig tying for me.

Dedicated to my dad who found the time to take me fishing. He died last Christmas at the age of 83.
http://adhocjigs.zoomshare.com/files/dad.JPG

and also my brother Leon who passed away in 1984 at the age of 39.
http://adhocjigs.zoomshare.com/files/Leon_Fishing.JPG

This is Al Linder
http://adhocjigs.zoomshare.com/files/AL_LINDER_ANGLING_EDGE.JPG

This is Steve MacCadams
http://adhocjigs.zoomshare.com/files/MacCadams_web_photo.JPG

This is me "The Crappie Sheriff" Shipahoy41
http://adhocjigs.zoomshare.com/files/Crappie_sheriff_2.jpg

I am hoping others will share their stories and pictures also.

old ship

badbrad
04-05-2007, 07:42 PM
My grandfather as well is the reason I love the outdoors so much. He used to take me fishing in the Big Sandy area of Kentucky Lake. He always fished a Kentucky Rig with two minnows. Don't know how many times I'd watch him bring up two big old slabs at a time. He'd get all excited like a kid, start giggling and throw out a marker bouy.

I shyed away from panfishing from my teens up until about three years ago. I primarily bass fished with a little musky fishing mixed in. Something in me has changed now though, I'd much rather be spider-rigging for Crappie! I very seldom bass fish anymore and haven't thrown a big plug at a Musky in some time.

I go back to the Big Sandy area two to three times each spring. The fishing is still good there, but the memories I have of my grandfather make the trip.

I'm just a crappie fisherman now thanks to him, and that's a good thing.

shipahoy41
04-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Hey Bad Brad,

I see you are from Bowling Green Kentucky. In 1945 I was born in Bowling Green Kentucky at 401 Center Street, right down from the Louisville and Nashville train station.

Ken Kinser
04-05-2007, 08:05 PM
I grew up on my aunt's paylake back in the 60s caught bass,channel cats,crappie and carp.my family didnot fish,back then guys that fished the lake taught me how,watched me on my boat when i was 6-7yrs old had a 12'jon boat and a sculling paddle,then i got stationed in Ft Benning Ga and i met Tom Mann in 1977. he taught me to understand strucure,habits,and all with his fish tank at Mann's World in eufala ALA. God Bless Tom Mann and hope he's catching fish in heven

Ken Kinser
04-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Thought i needed to post twice to this, u fisherman on this site have taught me alot about crappie fishing just reeding your post,i go threw the state post on this site and learn different rigs and ways to catch crappie here and i really would like to thank the people who post on this site. Ken Kinser

backtocrappie
04-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Found this late this evening ship, but Im working on it as I write this post. I feel kinda odd having to pick one kid, I'd like to pick them all.

shipahoy41
04-06-2007, 05:27 AM
Back to Crappie,

Do what your heart leads you to. You don't have to pick one student. You can bless each of them. Thank you my friend.

old ship :cool:

matt s.
04-06-2007, 06:11 AM
I just went to camp one summer when i was 10,since i don't like swimming i ended up getting a fishing pole from the camp cabin and fell in love with it.Through those years of fishing off and on and many days of begging for a fishing pole from my parents,it wasn't till 3 years ago i'm into fishing hardcore now(now in my early 30's).I've been getting older teenager to go with me once in awhile,keeps them from getting in trouble on the streets.Now i have a 2 year old boy who's gonna pretty much getting raised as a fisherman/outdoor adventure kid,and just about everybody i know and meet want to go fishing with me,it's having to make the time and getting the rod/reel and licenses which i end up getting for them most of the time.

One point in my life times were hard and rough to a point where i blamed God for a few of the problems that i have with my health and things that went wrong for no reasons...just yesterday my finece's mother came to me and told me there's a reason why God lets things happen in people's lives and i guess from all the things that happened it made me the caring person i am today.She's like a mom to me as well and i took that message to heart.Come to think of it,i'm a mentor to the people around me that no matter how hard life gets you gotta make it for what it's worth.Never give up on life and live it to the fullest.

And i can bet Most people here are already mentors...they probably don't/didn't know it.

God bless

crappiencali
04-06-2007, 06:29 AM
I would have to say that my grandpa and grandma Townsend for taking me out to the farm ponds in Oklahoma when I was a kid. Also, my dad for having the patients to teach me more as I was growing up. I also look up to my buddy Leon Gier. He has taught me so much about crappie, and I know that he has a lot more to show me.

england
04-06-2007, 06:53 AM
I was born with this obsession. No one in my family fishes. I dont know who I recieved it from. My wife and I have slue of kids and none of them like to fish, tho they will go with me from time to time. I guess they feel sorry for me. I do hope to able to pass all I have learned down to someone. Maybe a grandchild, time will tell.

jem270
04-06-2007, 07:49 AM
My Dad is my hero/teacher of fishing. He got me started (addicted).

shipahoy41 - THANK YOU for your past and current service as a teacher.

england - My wife and I love the outdoors and love to boat/fish. We have two boys (teenagers) who would rather play computer games. It really has us puzzled. I hope, when they get older, what little I was able to teach them about hunting/fishing will come back and they will also enjoy it.

CrappieHound
04-06-2007, 07:57 AM
My father took me fishing when a was a young whipper snapper and we would mainly catch bream and snakes! I loved it and it gave me chance to hang out with pops.

As I got older I started going to a farm pond that was two-three miles from the house to fish. Spent a lot of time there in the summers. As is nowthe case, most of my friends can not hang with me when I go fishing. I just have another gear that they can't seem to dig down and find. I rode my skateboard over to that pond throughout the years. "Hunted" my own camel crickets,long legs with strips, and would feed them oranges to change their color a little. Had to crawl under the house with a flashlight to find those little suckers.

My grandfather lived in Florida and it was the most exciting time of year when we went down to visit. HE HAD A BOAT! We would go to the Perdida River, near Pensacola and fish for huge bream. At night we would go to three mile bridge and set the crab baskets and fish. We also went floundering with spears in the bay. Good times!

My dad had a friend that was a serious trout fishermen. Man, I loved that guy. He tied all kinds of flys...even had his own bug collection! Took me fishing showed me how to respect mother nature.

All these men had a significant impact on instiiling in me a passion for the outdoors. They didn't just take me fishing, they guided me and showed me how to catch fish but just as importantly how to enjoy my time outdoors.

I am very competitive when it comes to being one on one with the fish. I should never lose or so that is how I feel when I'm on the water. At the end of the day though, I am just happy that I am blessed enough that I can enjoy God's great creation.

The CH...

jem270
04-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Small world.

I caught a lot of white trout and croakers off that 3 mile bridge!

CrappieHound
04-06-2007, 12:33 PM
I need to get back down there and do some fishing. Maybe even pull my boat down and fish Perdida, or however you spell it, again. Couldn't fish back where me and my grandfather went, though. The chute was so small getting in there both sides of the flatbottom boat would be touching the bank.

Good Times!
CH

fishintiger
04-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Unlike many of you it wasn't someone I knew that was my fishing mentor. He was a complete stranger.

I fished some as I was growing up. I got to fish 5 times a summer when we went camping. I always enjoyed fishing. Every once in a while my dad would take us fishing but it was the throw the worm in the water and wait and see what happens. It never got too technical. That's all I ever new how to do. I'd never thought about minnows as bait.

Then in the spring of 2003 my wife's grand mother passed away. My wife and I decided that we were going to fix a nice fish dinner for her grandfather. So one night when we were at the store we picked up some striped bass. I posted on a fishing board that I am a member of asking how to make the fish and what to make with it. There were many suggestions on how to cook it and what to fix with it. Then there was one guy that told me to throw the bass in the trash and he would take me out and catch some crappies for dinner. Against my wifes approval I met him one day after work and we fished for a couple hours. This was the first time I had met the guy. I really didn't know what he looked like or anything and when I got to the ramp I figured out who he was with out a word being said.

To this day him and I talk on a constant basis. Him and I have become good friends. I think of him as a father. The day that he takes his final boat ride will be one of the sadest days for me.

fishindaddyo
04-06-2007, 12:43 PM
My GreatGrandmother and Grandmother put a bamboo rod in my hands with a cricket under a bobber when I was 5 or 6 and taught me the fundamentals of fishing. I don't remember what I caught (probably bream) but I had fun. I still talk to my grandmother occasionnally and have her to thank for my love of fishing. I now take my 3 daughters out and we catch anything that swims. They enjoy it and I hope they can find the peace and serenity I find when I'm fishing. It's not all about catching the fish but being part of that environment that's so addicitive. The bonus is pulling up something you'd never seen otherwise in such a great setting. Thanks for starting this thread.

fish.on
04-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Everytime we visited my Grandpa when a small boy he would pick up his poles and take me fishing. I rarely fished. I usually was throwing rocks or catching turtles and watch out mister frog. He would usually catch fish and when we went home he would have me clean them. Oh the messes I made. What really gets me now though is he would eat those fish I had cleaned. He passed on when I was about 10. As I grew older I went fishing a lot on Lake Hudson in OK. An old guy named Hodges fished there and would always catch fish on jigs. His hand would be shaking but as he worked his way around he would catch another. He would offer a little tidbit every now and again and I would listen. A old guy named Jayvine fished there too and he did the same thing always offering a word or two but it was sufficient. My Dad didn't fish much but he loved to hunt so he was my mentor on hunting. He passed away when I was 16. That was the deciding factor for me. I take my children every time I can. All you have is memories to leave behind let's make some good ones.

gabowman
04-06-2007, 01:07 PM
From what Ive always been told I must have inherited it from my grandfather that I never knew. Stories of big fish in the bathtub, wash tubs full of fish, etc., etc. I grew up in a neighborhood with a creek (and backed up waters)that had catfish, bass, carp, and bream in it so us kids ALWAYS were at the creek. My Dad didnt fish but every year for my birthday I always got a rod and reel for the present. Every chance I got I went with the neighborhood boys to different farm ponds to fish. After I married I moved to another neighborhood and met an older guy that could really catch your catfish and I got interested. I tried on my own for a long time (doing fair at best) and I finally got an invite from this guy and he sorta took me under his wing and taught me alot. We winded up getting very close and hunted and fished together like brothers for many many years before he died. I'm glad I grew up with that "predator instinct" and to this day still love the outdoors or elsewise I dont know what I'd be doing now......probably stamp collecting, yard selling, or something?!?:eek: ;) :D

J/K....nothing wrong with that either if that's your bag! ;)

3's
04-06-2007, 01:59 PM
I got it from both sides of the family even though my Grandpa Glen passed away when I was 5. I used to look through his tackle boxes and pictures from FL. His wife Grandma Lucy was a fisherwomen and would take me to the local golf course or reservior when I was little. My grandpa Sherwood (Pa) used to take me fishing at Barkley when it still had standing timber and you could pull up to about any top and haul out the slabs. Pa then bought an old fiberglass game fisher to use on the farm ponds in the area. He would pick me up every Sat morn and take me to a pond where we fished for bass and crappie mostly. That old boat had more weight in fiberglass from repairs than the boat originally weighed. I got pretty good with the farm pond bass and had several fish in the 5 and 6 lb range. One day a buddy and I put that old boat in the neighbors pond on a 95 degree summer afternoon. By the time we quit the temp had dropped 20 degrees and we had 14 bass in the boat 2 were right at 2 lbs, 4 over 4, 4 over 5, a 6-8, a 7-6, a 7-13, and my personal best of a 8-3. Dad's eyes about popped out when he saw that string and even more so when he saw me let the 6+Lb fish go in the pond behind the house. He told me GPa Glen (his dad) would be proud.

My new chapter is teaching my Grandkids the same values and the love for fishing.

bttmline
04-06-2007, 02:04 PM
I would have to say my 2 older brothers, Mike and Jim. Dad didn't fish much but my brothers started taken me to the local farm pond when I was around 6 yrs old and I haven't quit since.
Tim

old fuzzy
04-06-2007, 02:10 PM
my grandfather (Lee Emer Stanton)shared many of day fishing, everything from perch to crappie to bass and of course noodling cat's, we did it all together---fuzzy

shipahoy41
04-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Matt,

God does NOT make mistakes. All of our steps are already ordered, including our love for fishing. We have got to trust Him , acknowledge Him, and let Him lead and use you. You have been through a lot, but there are many blessings in store for you.

Thanks to all who are contriobuting to this thread. Individuals have got to know that we all have someone we look up to. Keep the replies coming.

old ship:cool: :cool:

wefish
04-06-2007, 07:51 PM
My Father mentored me, we fished together until his death, and had a trip planned when he died. He started me fishing at a young age and it continued through life.
The next person that kept me going was Bill Dance. I still have all of the respect in the world for him.

wrwest
04-06-2007, 08:39 PM
With out a question, MY DAD!!! He was taking me fishin before I could walk. I can remember when I was young my dad showing me why and how of fishin, froging and hunting. I miss him too. He has the best. Thanks DAD :)

Glowgood Jigster
04-07-2007, 03:35 AM
My big brother Eddy. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/Duggunitt/DuggieFlounder63.jpg He's the one I remember most taking me fishing when I was little. He died when I was 10 on Christmas day in Viet Nam. Then after that my Uncle Howard took me fishing alot in his wooden 16'
boat, boy did we catch lots of trout back then. He was the one who taught me the most about fishing for sport. My dad taught me how to fish comercially for money. Didn't follow in his footsteps, never stepped aboard another commercial boat after his death when I was 15.
I guess I learned about crappie and bluegill from Outdoor Life and Field and Stream, got into float tubes and jigs and the rest is history. I've really learned the most about crappie fishing from the fine folks who frequent these pages online.

Darryl Morris
04-07-2007, 07:58 AM
I grew up mostly catfishing in West Texas and Eastern New Mexico. My grandparents and father loved to fish. When I was in the Marine Corps a buddy of mine named Mitch from North Carolina turned me onto Bass Fishing. Then I wanted to learn how to crappie fish. I found Jerry Blake's website for Action Fishing Trips - www.actionfishingtrips.com - and hired him to take me and my family crappie fishing. He has become the best friend I've ever had and has been my mentor for crappie ever since. I'm now a guide for crappie myself and Jerry and I work very closely together doing a job we both love. It is total satisfaction to be able to take folks fishing and completely change their lives. Here's a picture of Jerry

http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/webpic.JPG

shipahoy41
04-07-2007, 08:03 AM
Daryl,

You said a mouthful when you stated "Humility is realizing you stand on the shoulders of giants!"

Keep the replies coming. We are cherishing history on this thread. We are all blessed to have had such role models in our lives.

Blue Duck
04-07-2007, 09:11 AM
My dad made me this way..........

HOOKER
04-07-2007, 05:26 PM
From our home in SEMO he took me fishing in so many places it is hard to list them all. The furtherest from home was Half Moon Bay off the coast of San Fransico, Ca. fishing for red snapper. We went to Lake Livingston, Tx a couple of times. Fished all the oxbow lakes on both sides of the Missisippi from Cairo, Il to New Madrid, Mo. We fished farm ponds, lakes, blueholes, ditches and rivers. I spent more quality time with him fishing than doing any other activity including working on the farm. He loved to fish Ky. Lake out of Mansard Island Resort on Big Sandy and kept his camper and boat there for 15 years. My Mother passed away there on one of their many trips. He eventually sold the trailer but kept the boat until he died in May, 2000. He was 85 years old then when cancer took him but had made a devout fisherman of my mother, my brother, me and my son by that time. Thank God for his patience and persistence. I was not a good student.... Hooker

possumcop
04-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Bill Dance. I finally got to meet him and got to be good friends. I am into crappie fishing and my dream came true. I got to take him crappie fishing and he put my picture with a big crappie I caught on the front of a magizine he writes for.

shipahoy41
04-07-2007, 07:00 PM
Possumcop,

That is awesome. Bill Dance truly is one of a kind. I wish I could meet him too and just pick his brain for a few minutes. He is an inspiration and a teacher for so many.

shipahoy41
04-07-2007, 07:28 PM
This was posted by DAVID WATERS under "Looking for a hero:

both my dad and my grandfather always had time to take me fishing. While it wasn't crappie fishing, it was fishing of somekind. Also, we hunted as well. I can't remember at any time my grandfather (papa) ever saying he couldn't go. I called him usually when my father had to work weekends or whatever.

They instilled in me an absolute love for the outsdoors. I think about it so much, it is almost a charecter flaw!

I am a band director and we have student interns all the time from a local university. I always tell them if they don't have a hobby, they need to get one. I usually take them fishing at least once during the semester. We have one now named Matt and I have taken him twice so far. He has the bug bigtime. He said when he gets a job, one of the first things on his list to do is look for a decent boat to crappie fish in.
Pickwick, Wilson, Wheeler, Cedar, and all BCDA lakes

This was posted by GRIZZ under "Looking For A Hero.
I was a self motivated fisherman as a child. I just loved it from the get go, but my parents did get me started by taking the whole family fishing a few times a year. My dad liked to fish and he took me if I asked him once in a while, but what he did was love the outdoors in general, and though he didn't really include me in that on purpose it really rubbed of on me, and I appreciate that.

My mom loved to fish and still does. She used to get bad headaches when I was a child (I was the youngest of 5) , and she would ask me to take her out in the rowboat to fish for a while and the headache would go right away. I was also an active participant in the crappiethon tournys when they were around, and except for one year she was always my partner and I wish she was the year that she wasn't. One year out of over 200 people she won the big fish pot, and we always placed in the money. We were the only Mother/son team and she always got quite a lot of recognition for that and also being the oldest lady in the tournys. People from the tournys still ask me how she is 15 yrs later. She a great lady.

The other person who influenced my love for fishing is my neighbor and good friend Denny Brown. I still remember the first day I met him when I was 5 yrs old. He was building his house and was up straddled on the ridge pole of the roof with a hammer in his hand waving at our family as we were taking a walk down the road. Denny always found time to take me on a special fishing trip 2 or 3 times a year. He taught me fly fishing and we built rods and tied flies together, though the fly fishing thing never really rubbed of on me in the long haul. We still fish together several times a year and I count him among my most valued friends. Every kid need a friend like him while they grow up. He was always glad to see me. Hes a great man and a great friend. Take a kid fishing even if they aren't your own!

Fish today - worry tomorrow. Then again fish today and tomorrow and forget the worrying.

www.OneLastCast.net

---------------------- --------------------

I am posting them here because I would like to see all responses under this one thread. Please keep the replies coming.

Thanks.

Jerry Blake
04-07-2007, 08:44 PM
http://www.actionfishingtrips.com/LeeRoy.htm

shipahoy41
04-10-2007, 04:38 AM
Mr. Crappie,

Thanks again. I just responded to your PM

minnowsoaker
04-12-2007, 02:54 PM
my step dad started me on fishin. I can't remember what age but it is some of my earliest memories. I remember cuttin saplings for a rod and catchin bream with worms and crayfish that we caught. I progressed to catchin catfish when I got my first rod and reel about age 5. My step dad loved to fish and I'm sure glad he brought me up the way he did, but he didn't hunt much at all. The huntin bug came from an old gentleman who lived next door to us. His name was Randal. He passed away when I was in the first or second grade so I didn't know him for very long, maybe a year or two.
He raised black and tan coonhounds and used to tell me huntin stories all the time. I can't remember any of the stories now but what I do remember is I couldn't get enough of those stories or his dogs. I was always back at his kennel lookin at those dogs or bangin on his front door demanding another huntin story. Man I sure loved those stories and those black and tan dogs! I must have drove him nuts but he never turned me away. No matter what he always had time for me. At age 40 I am still an avid fisherman and hunter of any and all game, and I got three black and tan coonhounds too. :D It's funny how such a minor thing like those huntin stories and dogs and catchin bream with a sapling can influence a person in such a major way.

Baditude
04-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Well , my dad stuck a pole in my hand when i was 5 and the rest is history. As far as a mentor , i never really had one - when i was able to fish my dad wasn't into exercising his visitation rights regularly which led me to figuring it out on my own. Over the years i got to know my dad a little but not much more than that. Eventually i moved out on my own from upstate NY to TN and got into bass fishing - once again on my own. That led to fishing for cats and ultimately crappie. Been fishing for 'em about 4 or 5 years now almost exclusively and to be honest - for the first time in my 36 years i can honestly say i have a mentor... it's a large group of people and they all make up the greatest online community in the world - Crappie.com. Thanx to everybody for leaving tips in pm's and the local board - it doesn't get any better than this. - Pete

shipahoy41
04-12-2007, 06:17 PM
Pete,

I agree that Crappie.com is a super mentor to all of us. Thanks to everybody who took the time to share their stories. This has been a super thread and I am sure will encourage not only some of my students, but each other. Those of you who can, please send them a token of encouragement as a way of saying to them that we appreciate the effort they put into their academics and into life altering positive decisions.

We still encourage others who want to post their stories on this thread. The more I read YOUR stories the more I am proud of those whose shoulders WE ALL stand upon.

Thank you.

joejv4
04-13-2007, 12:32 PM
My grandfather (aka: Poppy) was my mentor. He taught me how to rig a pole, bait a hook and where to look to catch different kinds of fish at the lake. I inherited a love of the outdoors from him that I intend to pass on.

Now that I'm a new grandpa (a new generation "Poppy") I've already got a rod, reel and tacklebox picked out for my new grandson. I'm hoping I can influence the little guy the same way my Poppy influenced me :)

Bingo
04-13-2007, 08:17 PM
Shipahoy41, what year and month is the magazine with Steve Mac on the front cover? Did you do good when you fished with him? He catches alot of fish usually.

Thanks,
Bingo

shipahoy41
04-14-2007, 06:34 AM
I NEVER have fished with Steve MacCadams. I stated that I would really like to fish with him. Yes, Steve and I do email each other and he has shared tips and secrets with me and I with him. The magazine cover on my website is an autographed picture he mailed to me to also encourage me. We all need mentoring and Steve will take the time to help others and answer their Crappie questions.

I promise you that if I can EVER get to Paris Tennessee I'll ask to go fishing with Steve.

Thanks

shipahoy41
04-14-2007, 06:56 AM
We are truly blessed to have had so many individuals view this thread and to share their stories. I personally want to encourage each of you who will read this thread to continue sharing your stories with others and to mentor someone in fishing and in life. That is our future.

I want to share again two of my favorite rig setups that definitely work. My modified Carolina jig rig is effective deep or shallow water. If you start it deep let's say 10 feet, the lures are 7 feet from the surface. As you bring it in to let's say 6 feet, the lures are 3 feet from the suruface. The tiny "water noodle" floats are tiny and lightweight but they realy help undulate and pulsate the squirrel and marabou feathers in the jig.

http://adhocjigs.zoomshare.com/files/A_RIG_SETUP_Nov_2006.JPG

http://adhocjigs.zoomshare.com/files/Glow_Beadhead_Streamer.JPG

http://adhocjigs.zoomshare.com/files/Fishin_fool.gif

Thanks everybody. Please continue to post who mentored you and who you ARE MENTORING in this sport we love called fishing.

ShortStorie
04-14-2007, 12:31 PM
You guys (and the Outdoor Channel) have been my mentor. Dad was a state park inspector... who didn't fish! When I was about 5, a park superentendent baited a hook for me and I cast into a stream (Don't remember where)... hooked a big trout that flipped off just before I could grab it. 55yrs later, I am still trying to catch that fish!

CrappieAngler
04-14-2007, 04:15 PM
After being born, I went back home with my parents to Houston, TX... where my father worked hard during the week but enjoyed fishing on the weekends. So we'd make the haul (about 30 miles) to Galveston hop the ferry over to Galveston Bay and crab fish. Well I was really young so I was on the shore line crawling after hermit crabs and collecting them in a pencil box.
But he gave me the love for fishing, that followed us when we moved to Anniston, AL. Where we fished some golf course ponds and lakes and the dam. Hauled in many largemouth, crappie and bluegill. Watched my father catch massive flatheads from the dam.
Then into Iowa where he taught me about walleye and stripers.
I had been going fishing with him since I was in a car seat... and as I got older he always had patience with me, and never yelled at me for messing up my line or asking him to bait my hook. He taught me how to tie all the essential knots, and fillet fish and everything in between. But the most important part of it all was the lessons in leaving the property I fished at how I found it.
He lives in San Diego now, and we don't see each other but a few times every few years... but he still fishes.
I'd give back some of the biggest fish i've ever caught to have him closer so we could fish all the time, but i'll always remember the time we spent together. He and I are very close and I email him pictures of my catches and now what his grandson catches, and he enjoys them. I think i've become a lot better of a fisherman then he was, but to me he'll always be the man in this regard.

We're planning a trip to Cali this summer and he's booked us on a 2 day deep sea trip... 40 miles out. Hope to catch a huge fish and show him I still remmeber what he taught me.

shipahoy41
04-14-2007, 05:49 PM
Crappieangler,

Sounds like you had a great dad.

shipahoy41
04-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Thank you to everyone who read or participated in this thread. I realize that every angler has a story to share with someone. God bless each of you.

Dn.liner
04-22-2007, 06:02 PM
My mentor was avery kind and gentle man. He was our next door neighbor and his son and I were best freinds. His name was Scott Weatherman. He has passed on now but I think of him often when I am fishing. He is missed and still loved by all who knew him. He took the time to take me and teach me,and for this I am greatfull. See you in Heaven Scott.

hogfaninla
04-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Very easy question to answer and I have seen a lot of responses like mine.....My dad, LeeRoy Rodgers...He was a man of many talents and a jack of all trades but growing up we lived on a chicken and cattle farm we didnt have too much time for fishing (Though we had 4 ponds stocked to the levee with catfish and crappie) those dang chickens took a lot of our attention..but when we did get to go we would load up the boat some spam,bread,sandwich spread and a big ole onion and take off to lake chicot or paradise off the mississippi river, meet Uncle Jerl (dads fishing buddy, Not our real uncle) and split up into teams. I almost always ended up in dads boat and we would tear em up ,the limit is 50 and we would have 4 people and quiet often filled our limits with slabs....Its funny i remember those sandwiches and still crave one every once in a while if i am fishing...I once took a young co-worker with me who had led a sheltered life and didnt know what spam was (can you imagine?) in the middle of a hot day he thought that sandwich tasted like a steak sandwich and he was grateful to get it and everytime he would go with me he would bring the spam...lol...My dad passed away suddenly and left a huge hole in our hearts but thankfully he did have time to take all his grandkids fishing...and without fail everytime i fish lake greeson or chicot i go to his honey holes and sit for a spell reminiscing, shed a tear and throw one of his favorite jigs overboard (I clip off the barb first) and when i catch that first one listen for me to yell" Hold yo head up muley"....I feel like if most kids had the kind of fishing experience i had growing up crime,school deliquency, and childhood obesiety would be lower (dang video games)....

shipahoy41
04-23-2007, 06:52 AM
These are beautiful testimonies. Our mentors should be humbled to see how they have positively impacted our lives. I thank God every day for my dad and I know he is up in heaven smiling down on me too. I can still hear him sying to me "Son, keep your line tight."

Thank you dad. I love you man.

Buffy
04-23-2007, 08:52 AM
My grandfather, who took me out on the peir when I was 4, with a cane pole , worm and bobber. I caught that fish all by myself! It was probably a minnow but it looked like a whale to me. My father, who taught me whiners get nothing, and to tie knots, and never ever let somebody tell me I could not do something because I was a girl. My husband, we went fly in fishing for our honeymoon. for our first aniversary he gave me a fly rod and showed me how to use it. Oh the first bass I caught on that, what a thrill. I hope I can pass some of my love of the outdoors and especialy the water on to my nieces and nephews. My stepdaughter does not fish, but she loves to come along in the boat. Being on the water is better than anywhere else.
Keep up the good work with your at risk children, I can tell you there is no better feeling than to see one fo them years later, doing well.
Buffy

FisherMike
04-23-2007, 02:52 PM
It was my Dad also that really taught me to be a sportsman.
I can remember when I was really young he took me to Uncle Cubert's bait shop. He wasn't really a blood relation. He and my Dad jumped freight trains to come to Michigan from Obion Tn.
Any way, he bought me this cane pole to go fishing with. I don't remember how long that thing was, but it looked to be about a mile if I remember correctly.
That was my first time ever on a boat. Oars and all.
My first fish ever was about an 8 lb. dogfish on that cane pole. What a fight!!

My Dad was a truck driver and I didn't really get to spend muck time with him. Once in a while he'd take me fishing when he was home on a long enough weekend. Perch fishing or trout fishing. Dad was a very quiet and loner type. Didn't show much in the way of attention or love.

When I got into school, he and a friend bought a 30' charter boat for salmon fishing. I get deathly sick on the big lake so I could rarely go with him. Well that boat took up all his extra time after that. And you know,, I think it bothered him.

Anyway, Dad did have time enough though to instill in me the knowledge to take care of property, space, friends and family. To work hard and be true.
That's something everyone need to learn.

I don't know why, but one of the moments in time I remember most with my Dad was.
We were setting on the bank of the river. I was trying to tie on a hook. I wasn't doing very well. Dad put his arm over my sholder,, with his hands, took mine and taught me to tie a clinch knot. Must have taken an hour. I was a slow learner. If you people on Crappie.Com don't know by now.

It's funny how little things you remember above everything else.

Just lost my Dad at the ripe old age of 83. Sure do miss Him.

shipahoy41
05-06-2007, 08:25 AM
Elizabeth,

You are truly a very special person and I want to publically thank you for all your emails and PM's. Please continue to saty in touch.

Fishiermike, my dad died at 83 also. We must preserve all positive memories and place the unpleasant ones in the sea of forgetfulness. The greatest legacy we can have for the individuals whose shoulders we stand upon is to reach back a helping hand to someone else.

old ship

magnum500
05-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Without a doubt my dad.He always had time to take me fishing and the patience to deal with me when I was young. He taught me the basics of fishing and how to enjoy everything that nature has to offer.
At our summer home we had no television, radio, or telephone.My mother,my sister and I would spend the entire summer there. My dad would come up on the weekends and would always take my sister and me fishing. While he was gone home working I would fish by myself.
I will always be greatful to my dad for taking the time to instill in me the thrill of fishing.

Buffy
05-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Elizabeth?? Who's Elizabeth?? :D
Thanks Ship.