Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cold front fishin

Post Thanks / Like

Default cold front fishin

rather than gripe about mother nature, how about we share info on how to fish this weekend ? How do you catch crappie in these conditions?
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious to know as well. I'm assuming they are holding deep, due to the barometric pressure. I've heard you will get some residual spawning/guarding. It's probably a crap shoot.
    "Dats.........uhh......NO-ICE.........FUSH!"

-Al Linder

Post Thanks / Like

With nights below freezing (In April?)... I catch "In Fisherman" ... cause I'm in!

Post Thanks / Like

The best way to handle a cold front like this is, take all of the fish that you have caught in the last couple of weeks and call all of your fishing buddies and have a big cook and enjoy each other.

Post Thanks / Like

I am just gonna try some of my pre-spawn spots on the river channels next to the flats. the flats are 4 ft and under and we fish brush right on the channels edge. I will start up high on the flats side of the brush and then work it over the river bank, gradually lowering it to the bottom of the creek/river chanel, all near the brush. I like to do that when I am unsure what the fish are doing so I am covering 3ft water all the way down to 9 ft water, without moving the boat. If I catch fish on the shallow side I might then move out onto the flat but if I catch it on the deep side, I will stay in the river and fish up and down the bank to locate more brush at that depth. I have also found that with these cool snaps, I am more likely to locate a higher number of fish concentrated on a particular struture. Kind of like they group together, instead of being out on the flat with 1 and 2 fish to each stup or brush pile. Just my 2 cents..Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

If you've been fishing shallow, move deeper. Slow your presentation down. They will probably be slow to bite, so, don't be too quick to move your bait. Try some different baits, try some different spots. The worst that can happen is that you don't catch anything. It still beats sitting on the couch thinking about fishing. I try to learn something every time I go, and usually do. So, in that respect the trip is never wasted.

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly? I drove to work in snow this morning, I'm sipping coffee waiting on spring to get here, it's a couple weeks late.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

First thing is...you get ya a thermos of hot coffe and pull out your coveralls because it is going to be NIPPY! Temps. were in the 80's know there going to be pushing it to get into the high 40's. Temps. around the 20's @ night.

That makes it tough. I haven't ruled out fishing but I may build beds instead and drop them next week!

Downsize your baits...that may help.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not saying you won't catch fish but with this hard of a front I'd expect the action to be REAL SLOW! Good luck if you go.
    It only takes one big one right?!?! :D
    Currently a non-fishing slacker! (not for too much longer)

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the input. I may try them late afternoon. I think i can put everyones advice together and have a chance. If I don't catch anything at least I will be out there!
    Brian

Will fish for food!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast