Likes Likes:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Northeast Flooding

Post Thanks / Like

Default Northeast Flooding

As I've posted previously, we are experiencing record rainfall over the past couple of months. It's getting colder by the day as well. This is what the flooding is looking like at our local Oxbow:

Name:  Iron Bridge.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  132.9 KB

This is what the launch ramp looks like:

Name:  Launch_1.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  124.9 KB

The ramp itself is entirely under water, so you want to fish, you have to launch in the parking lot! Which poses a unique challenge, in that you have no way of knowing what the depths are, as well as what's beneath the hull of your boat. Not a safe way to accomplish our goals.

More rain is expected today, up to 2" more, which will make matters much worse. This is usually the time of the year when the crappie and yellow perch fishing really explodes. Now it's just a matter of being able to get to them!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Just curious, will it have time to recede before freezing over? If not and heavy snowfall comes what will spring melts bring?

Post Thanks / Like

With rain continuing for the foreseeable future (about every other day now), I doubt that it will recede before ice up. But this is New England, and you just never know! If it freezes over and the water level remains high, it might be very bad for us come spring? This is a totally unprecedented situation for this time of the year here.

I know a lot of folks have had it a lot worse down south of us this year. But we're just not prepared these conditions here. Of course, who is ever prepared, right?
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Thanks huntinslabs thanked you for this post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean about it "raining every other day" .... seems like it's been that way around here all year long. Weather guessers are predicting "snow flurries" this week. And my favorite lake "was" 5ft over Summer Pool until the system came through last night ... and now it's 12.5ft over Summer Pool. (it's had >6" of rain in the last week)

Most of our lakes should already be at Winter Pool, or at least headed in that direction, instead they are still above Summer Pool levels.

Post Thanks / Like

Strange weather in a lot of areas.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.