Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: stake beds

Post Thanks / Like

Default stake beds

gonna put in stake beds around pier while water is down. do crappie like pvc over wood in yalls opinion. I have both.
    Roll Tide Roll with a crappie on a pole!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabbysteve View Post
    gonna put in stake beds around pier while water is down. do crappie like pvc over wood in yalls opinion. I have both.
    Pvc won't disintegrate over time and it's less likely you'll get hung up. You should also Google "Georgia cubes". That's what several states use because they're cheap materials and easy to make.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slabbysteve View Post
    Also one of the Crappie University presenters said use BLACK pvc. I'm sure painting black should be the same.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

i have used both but it would seem that PVC last allot longer and painting them blacks works well. Make sure you markm them on gps

Post Thanks / Like

I have read that when you use PVC pipe you will want to scuff/roughen it up. Use coarse sandpaper or something simliler. Doing so will promote algae growth on it, which will lure the baitfish/minnows, which will attract the big ole slab crappie that you are after.
    Likes ozarks ranger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

yes 80 grit paper over the pvc pipe first. I like the bucket half full of crete and a 4" pipe vertical, with pex poked threw the vertical pipe all over. makes a great snag resistant cover that will last. don't need to wait for water lowered either. lower down with doubled rope then pull rope off.

grease the bucket and you can pop them out for reuse.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe just a dumb thought..But worth some thought.. If its real close to pier and hidden when water level is UP..Could some KID or anyone Fall or Dive in and get IMPALED (speared)

Post Thanks / Like

i had helped a person do his peer and we set them under the peer for that reason. they have been there for 6 years now and no issues. we also set several out in deeper water and have been very productive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gatoloco View Post
    i had helped a person do his peer and we set them under the peer for that reason. they have been there for 6 years now and no issues. we also set several out in deeper water and have been very productive.
    See theres thinking Folks ...Thx Great way...I am hoping for more...Not so much for me ,,I aint even got a Pier...But FOR SAFETY Sake...