PDA

View Full Version : Lipper-Gripper Tools

unknown 5
04-04-2007, 06:48 PM
I know you don't need a lipper tool to handle crappie but sometimes I catch other fish that are big enough to use a lipper-gripper tool. I am thinking about investing in such a tool, I want one that accurately weighs fish also, and I am wondering if any of you guys have any knowledge or advise on buying one. I see all types of grippers that run from around $30 to $120. I don't want to buy some junk that will fall apart or won't give an accurate weight measure. But, I don't want to spend for more than I need to for something that is just priced higher.
I have seen some going for around $100 that will weigh up to 30 pound fish and the scales can be sent in to be certified accurate.
I like the idea of being able to better handle my fish so catch and release is possible and I like to be able to take a picture of my catch so you guys can get a chuckle on how small of catch I get.
I have several scales, some spring loaded, some digital. But, none are really accurate when measured againt the certified scale at the local marina. Does anyone know what to buy?

DENNIS WILLIS
04-04-2007, 09:08 PM
I`ve heard the boga grip is the way to go will hold big fish and weigh em to. D.W.

chaunc
04-04-2007, 09:51 PM
I have the Rapala Proguide lock'n weigh that i've been trying to sell for a while now. Weighs up to 20lbs. Still in box, never used. $55. plus shipping. PM me if interested.

unknown 5
04-05-2007, 08:45 AM
I have checked out the lipper tools at www.lippertools.com. Acording to their reports, their high end gripper works better than a boga gripper and is a little less expensive. The have some Econolippers from $25 to $30. I would personally want to pay more for something that would last than something that is cheap.
I was hoping some of you have had some experiance using the grippers.
Right now, I am deciding whether to invest in a boga gripper or the high end gripper at lippertools. I am more interested in accurate weighing than lipping big cats, I use a landing net on them. I sometimes catch channel catfish up to 20 pounds and stripers over 10 pounds while crappie fishing. I would like to weigh them, take their pictures, and release them with the least amout of damage.