Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: what else do i need

Post Thanks / Like

Default what else do i need

went fishing yesterday with some bobby garland shad. got more strikes from shore than the guys in bass boats. so came home ad ordered a designated reel for my st Croix float and fly rod

ordered a diawai fuego lt 2500xd and some cast king 6lb. today for a designate reel for my. rod some more bobby grand shad.
    been using strike king sickle 1/32 on the shad.
    back up rod is a basparra UL with sahara 1000 an 4#. will probably pick up a shakespeare micro 7 footer as well for the kiddos

anything else I need for started kit.
    Im all set up for striped bass and cat fish and trout. but not bluegill/crappie/bass

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you are well on your way. You will determine what else you need as you go along. I have bought many things I did not need nor use due to receiving advice from someone else. You determine how you want to fish and what you need to fish the way you want to.
    Jerry "Bo" Bryant
    "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men" (Matthew 4:19)
    Likes Slab, zig zag, Jamesdean, skeetbum LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

learn as you go and you will see what you need. You can see that you can use 1 set up for multiple applications. I am still learning that. The same goes for lures they all have a place it just depends on what works for you and how you fish.

good fishing,

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you fish from shore a lot you might look into a satchel to go around your neck for you gear. I have put things down and said I would get it in a minute and had to go back after it. I have a DU blind bag that I use when I go and I cherry pick what will make the trip. You’ll refine what you need. I use Nanofil line in 2 and 4lb test and it will cast further than anything I have ever used. You have to use a mono leader for abrasion so learn the uni to uni knot. Irreplaceable. You’ll be surprised how versatile the micro rods are, especially the 7’. Cheap and strong, cant beat em for the money.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

over kill my friend ….a pocket with a few jigs and floats and full spool of 6 lb test mono and a 7 foot rod that's kinda stiff is all ya need
    the 7 foot shakespere is a bad boy for well under 20 bux and I just got several shimano reels on clearance for 19.50
    less than 40 bux will get it done in the wallet and on the shore as well .
    just saying
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes Nutbush LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You can have dozens of setups for any situation under the sun, but one setup will catch them just as well on most days.

I use 2" BGBS with a 1/16 oz jig on days where the fish are active, and a small 1/48 oz jig with an itty bitty slab slayer with a float on days that they aren't. I keep two rods, each rigged with the prior setup.

The hardware that you have now will do you fine, but I would get some weedless jigs for fishing heavy cover.
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

X2 on the nanofilament. Further cast with half the effort. I don’t know if your bridge fishing but when I fish under bridges I use a 4’ rod so I don’t have such a large swing radius that a larger rod has. 5 gallon bucket for the fish and a folding dove hunting chair with a pocket for tackle. That’s the setup I use when bridge fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I was about to say a pink Zebco 33 would work just as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Yea. I prefer a spinning reel though haha

Post Thanks / Like

Slab sauce ...