HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Sliders

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sliders

Been using Sliders for a long time. I have never used the Whirly Bee. Looks interesting and might be good for white bass too. Anyone use them?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

The late, great Charlie Brewer preferred to use a spinner on his baits when there was a chop on the water.

He goes into more detail in his book, maybe the best ever written on jig fishing:

Charlie Brewer Sr. on Slider Fishn'
    Thanks silverside, Hanr3, Slab thanked you for this post

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Just added the book to my Christmas list

Sent from my SM-G960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've used the Whirly Bee Pro model on numerous occasions ... and caught Crappie on it. Cast on 10/2 PowerPro braid (so I had a chance at getting it back, if it ever got hung up). Good lure for casting & trolling ... not so much for dock shooting (I've had the blade/swivel assembly come off the hook when doing so)

I've mostly used the Junebug/char version, but do carry several other colors in my tacklebox.
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post
    Thanks silverside thanked you for this post

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I caught lots of bream/red ear on them .Great farm pond bait as bass will feast on them also .
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

They do a good job. So well that I hand tied a few that were very close resemblance. Gills and such like te darker colors slow rolled close to the bottom. Crappie just plain like em.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Those look interesting for sure. However I do not see the advantage over the old tried & true Road Runner, which combines jig, spinner and plastic in one neat package. And it's been around for a long time. Has proven itself to me many times over the last couple of decades. Less chance of loosing a spinner that way too. And you can still combine the Slider with the RR head.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes silverside LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Those look interesting for sure. However I do not see the advantage over the old tried & true Road Runner, which combines jig, spinner and plastic in one neat package. And it's been around for a long time. Has proven itself to me many times over the last couple of decades. Less chance of loosing a spinner that way too. And you can still combine the Slider with the RR head.
    The Whirly Bee has only one "advantage" over a Road Runner, that I know of, and that's the blade will always spin. It can't be knocked out of alignment or bent in towards the body, where it just tucks against the body & doesn't turn (basically because it's at the end of the bait and there's nothing there for it to hang into, like hair, or hang up against, like the plastic body).

While it's true that the blade/swivel "can" be knocked off the hook, it takes many collisions at just the right angle for that to happen. If a slightly larger/stouter retainer bead were put on the bait, that would resolve that potential problem. The one time I had the blade/swivel come off the hook was after several collisions with the side of a wooden dock/post, while trying to "shoot/skip" the Whirly Bee (Pro) a good 20ft underneath that dock ... where, once I did get the bait under there, I was catching 14-15" Slabs. (in my defense, I was relatively new to dock shooting, at the time, and was "excited" at the prospect of catching these fish on most every cast)

And as you may well know, I'm a big proponent of Road Runners & have been using them for many decades (& still do use them quite often .... "much more often" than I do the Whirly Bee).

I have been known to come up with one of these when trolling a Whirly Bee Pro :

Name:  2007_0422WB20070002.JPG
Views: 582
Size:  48.3 KB

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    Easy to remove Spinner if you want, can't do that with a road runner . Not knocking either , both are great baits .

Post Thanks / Like

I used some I got from Slab back when and found they were quite effective …..I liked them myself
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales