Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lure Saver

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lure Saver

Here is a graphic of a lure saver or Jig Knocker Loose that can be use to save your precious baits when you get hung up on a log or stump or brush pile. You can use an old Spark Plug to do this also. Just use the kind with the iron bar and bend the bar over after slipping a large snap swiver though the bar. Then bend the bar over to the spark plug's point to keep the snap swivel from coming off the sparkplug. Jerry Blake uses a similar method to retrive his jigs that get hung up. They make commercial lure retrievers for this also but you can make your own cheaper.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Ole ncnat use to have one of those till I hung it up too - never did fix another one - it does work alot of the time - and it is not that expensive in case you do lose it
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation The only thing I don't like ....

about those "free sliding" type of "lure knockers/retrievers" .... is because of what Crap-King experienced - losing it, as well as the "lure". They make some of these "retrievers", that are nothing more than a oz of lead poured onto the bottom half of a large paper clip ... sell for about $1.00 apiece. There's also the "spark plug" trick, and the big bell sinkers with a clip or swivel. Problem is ... they are subject to being lost, along with the lure ... and we don't need any more "junk" or lead in our waters.
    I prefer having a "lure knocker/retriever" setup ... that has a nylon cord attached to it, that I can still slide down the line and knock the lure free ... but get "it" back, even if I don't get the lure back. I purchased a "home-made" set-up, about 30yrs ago, and it still works ... still has the original cord ! I think I paid about 6 or 8 bucks for it, then ... and have saved over several hundreds of dollars worth of lures with it.
    It is, basically, a piece of metal pipe filled with lead, with a brass loop at the top (to tie the cord to) and a metal wire loop on the side (to slip on the line). The nylon cord is about 50ft long and came wrapped around a section of wood (about 8" x 2" x 1/2").
    The closest "commercially" made product, to my "knocker/retriever", is the "Hound Dog Lure Retriever" ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up hound dog....

I got a "Hound Dog" on my boat...got 150# dacron leash about 150' long tied to 3/4" pvc 8" long...don't have to worry about splinters or wood rotting as first one did...pinned one end and slid smaller pvc inside...that way dog could free spool on deep snags--then just wind er in ..It has paid for itself several times over...had it for about 15 years now...don't leave home without it!!!!! :D
    Tighten er down till ya strip it--then back off 1/4 turn..
    HEY,,Y'all watch THIS..........

Post Thanks / Like

Here is another Novel Lure Retriever Idea for those lures that get stuck up in the top of the tree limbs where you can't normally reach them. Lures cost a lot of money so it pays to be able to get them back. Never tried this one but I thought I would share it with everyone in here.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I mainly use 6lb FireLine so getting hung doesn't really bother me much. But one thing I did want to add to this thread, was to not try to get free from your snags right away. Grab a different pole, and start jigging by where you are hung. You will catch more fish this way instead of spooking them by trying to free the other pole 1st. This serves as an excellent marker for the structure which you are trying to fish. That's an old Capps & Coleman trick which I've been using for years. I firmly believe in the old saying
    "If you aren't getting hung up, you're not fishing in the right spots"!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

whiplash Guest

Talking hung --up

Quote Originally Posted by Tim The Lippa Rippa Mon
    I mainly use 6lb FireLine so getting hung doesn't really bother me much. But one thing I did want to add to this thread, was to not try to get free from your snags right away. Grab a different pole, and start jigging by where you are hung. You will catch more fish this way instead of spooking them by trying to free the other pole 1st. This serves as an excellent marker for the structure which you are trying to fish. That's an old Capps & Coleman trick which I've been using for years. I firmly believe in the old saying
    "If you aren't getting hung up, you're not fishing in the right spots"!

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    THEN MY WIFE KNOWS ALL THE HOT SPOTS