HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tipping jigs with minnows?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tipping jigs with minnows?

Curious to why folks tip their jigs with minnows when pushing? Why not run jigs OR minnows? I can see the appeal as far as having the minnow for the flavor on the hit but why not just run minnows? I watch a ton of vids and it seems like a lot of the guys that preach jigs still tip with minnows. Im not biased. I’ll used what catches fish regardless of technique or bait I just like to understand the “why”.

Post Thanks / Like

Scent, vibration, larger presentation, natural forage for a predatory fish. I will run straight minners on some poles and jigs and or road runners tipped with minners to see what the fish want that day. Crappie are visual feeders and some days they want color or flash mixed in with meat and other days they want just a gold Aberdeen and meat. Some days you can catch them with straight jigs or pony heads, certain times of the year you want catch me in a boat without minners though, no matter if they are needed or not.
    Likes g6463 LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I like to tip jigs with minnows.....you dont have to keep checking to see if your minnow is knocked off....a lot of times I miss a fish and he either gets the minnow or knocks it off....then another one hits the jig. You are never wasting time running a bare hook this way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Likes scrat, ad1974, Redge, Marvin, bflowers LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes the bigger profile of the jig and the minnow makes a difference too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes they like jigs w/ minners, and sometimes they like straight minners....they're pickey! You have to adapt and overcome!!
    "If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes" Unknown
    Likes "G", zig zag, Redge LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't use minners when I'm "Pushing" .... just jigs .... but I know a lot of guys around here that tip their jigs with minners when they are Spider Rigging !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappiePappy View Post
    I don't use minners when I'm "Pushing" .... just jigs .... but I know a lot of guys around here that tip their jigs with minners when they are Spider Rigging !!
    What jigs do you recommend to push? Style and size wise.. I’m really gonna try and get better at using jigs vs relying on minnows so much.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlabSeeker0485 View Post
    What jigs do you recommend to push? Style and size wise.. I’m really gonna try and get better at using jigs vs relying on minnows so much.
    I use a variety of different jig heads, but mostly I use painted 1/8oz ballhead style. I put a variety of plastics (brand, shape, length) on the hook, but the Slabanator Hot Rod (carrot shape) & Booty Shaker (boot tail) have done very well for me. Sometimes I'll even have a Jiffy Jig or two in the mix, just to present a little something different. Depending on the general boat speed needed to get bit ... I usually have a 1/2oz to 1.5oz weight ahead of the jig (18-24 inch leader). I'm generally Pushing @ around 0.7mph to 1mph.
    Thanks SlabSeeker0485 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The reason is lack of confidence.

Post Thanks / Like

If depth allow me I will use double. Either minnow on top and jig on bottom or double jigs tip with minnows. The fish will tell you what they like better at the time. If the bite real active I will just use jigs.
    LittleJohn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast