Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lifejackets?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lifejackets?

Just wanted to know if you guys wear your lifejackets all the time when you are on the water? I guess the question stems from the two fishermen we lost three weeks ago here on kentucky lake and once again this weekend two were lost in Ohio.

I have to admit I don't wear mine near as much as I should. I SHOULD have had it on today while at Big Sandy. The water was rough, rough, rough. Just not smart standing one footed, while running a trolling motor, in three foot rollers with the front of the boat bouncing up and down like a weighted cork.

How many of you wear the automatic suspender type life vest. I'm thinking about ordering one. They are a little pricy but how do were determine pricy...when we are talking about never possibly seeing our family and friends again?

I've been boating for twenty years. When I go canoeing, I wear my life vests. Why not when I'm in my big boat? I think I get a false sense of security. The boat handles big water well and I don't feel threatened unless it really gets bad. BAD THINKING!!!

What do you guys think?
    CH

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm , interesting , I always think about putting mine on. But I just hate to wear it. It is uncomfortable hot and hard to move in. You would think this day in age they would come up with a comfortable vest.

Coony

Post Thanks / Like

Coony...they do. Look in the Bass Pro Shops catalog and you will see life jackets that look like suspenders. They open up automatically when you hit the water. Rain will not set them off...only if you go in the drink. They are however anywhere from $125.00 and up. They look real comfortable to wear just make you a little light in the pants...if you know what I mean.

Post Thanks / Like

I will not set foot in a boat without one.Don't matter how good of a swimmer you are,you slip and hit your head,daised or ko,ed could be your last fishing trip.And that's not to mention all the crazys you meet on the water each time you go .I never liked them alot when I was younger,but five grandkids later,and a little wiser and you realize you are not bullet proof.I just want to make sure I'll be the one taking those kids fishing.
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter wears hers from the time she leaves the truck till she gets back. I wear mine any time the gas motor is running. If Im alone, I'll wear it the entire time, unless drifting in calm water. 14' jon so we always stay seated.

My uncle died 12 yrs ago while fishing. Fishing where two rivers converge. Dont know if capsized or just tipped and dumped them. 16' tri hull I think. My uncles friend made it to shore, they didnt find my uncle till next morning. Neither one had a life jacket on, but laying on the floor.

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking to buy myself something comfortable to wear now as well. To be honest, I've never worn one on fishing boat. A couple times whitewater rafting, but that's a no brainer. We lost a father and son yesterday right across the street from me here on East Fork Lake in southwestern Ohio, and that's enough to put things in perspective for me. Rangers found the boat going round in circles, unmanned, and a dog swimming from the boat to shore. Still haven't found the fishermen. Just a fishing pole and a jacket. I always make sure my boys wear their life jackets when we go out, but I guess I need to think of them and put one on myself. roybuoy, you couldn't have put it any better."I just want to make sure I'll be the one taking those kids fishing."
    Bob's Jigs Prostaff
    www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

I wear mine most of the time when the boat is moving. Otherwise it's at my feet. I make my son wear his all the time. I guess if he wasn't along I might not put it on at all. TWRA rules say anybody under 13 I think must wear one anytime the boat is "underway" even just with the trolling motor. Drifting or anchored they can take it off. No rules for adults.

crappiekid24 is offline Moderator Ice Fishing Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont wear one but I know exactly where they are located. I dont fish out of a small boat in small water I fish on a big boat in Lake Michigan and the lake can get rough. When it does get rough I always pull however many people are on board and leave them in the open and easy to get to. In 4-6ft waves I like to know that a life jacket is near and in the open.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't normally wear mine while out in the bass boat, but will put it on in bad weather. When the water is very cold, I'll wear it all the time. In a canoe I'll wear it in cold water conditions, but during the summer and when the water is warmer, I don't, but I should when the big engine is running. Guess, I need to start.

Good topic to get out the awareanse.
    Tap!, Fish On!
    99.9% C&R fisherman
    NAFC Life Member & field tester
    Take a child fishing today, for smiles that last a lifetime.

Post Thanks / Like

i dont wear one, mainly because my boat is big enough that it isnt required by law. its a deckboat and pretty stable. if i have anyone under 12, they wear them all the time, because its required. i will agree that it is good practice to wear them, but a lot of people wont, and its hard to persuade them too, including myself.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast