HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone in the Blue Springs / Lee's Summit area?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone in the Blue Springs / Lee's Summit area?

I bought a small fishing boat recently and want to get out and learn to crappie fish (panfish in general). I've spent the last few years learning to bass fish because it was just fun to get out and catch and release, but my mom always told me how good crappie is, and I'd like to try for myself.

For better or worse, I've been watching a ton of crappie videos on youtube and think I have some basics. I just don't know where to go in my area! I live in Lee's Summit, so obviously Jacomo and Blue Springs lake are the closest to me that allow boats, but I've had terrible luck on both of them. I'm assuming because there are always so many people out there casting...

Anyone had any luck in the Lee's Summit area - or could point me to a better option?

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site Dizzy. There are a lot of great folks in that area who will point you in the right direction. Good luck and post some reports

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the site... sorry not familiar with any of that area. But you could drive south to Truman or North to Smithville. Good Luck either way.

A gun, like any other source of power, is a force for either good or evil, being neither in itself, but dependent upon those who possess it
    From an old movie I saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hookin'&Cookin' View Post
    welcome to the site... sorry not familiar with any of that area. But you could drive south to Truman or North to Smithville. Good Luck either way.
    Yeah I was thinking of trying Smithville out, but I think I'd need another boat tag since it's a different county than I have already. Does the crappie bite last long enough into fall/winter around here to merit buying another county's tag?

Truman is intimidating though, its huge! I've just got a small 16' Jon boat and 25hp engine, I feel like I'd get lost "up a creek without a paddle."

Post Thanks / Like

no need for a new tag. Lots of places to put in for free. With a small rig like yours you can put in at some of the roads that dead end in the lake. real close to real good fishing.

A gun, like any other source of power, is a force for either good or evil, being neither in itself, but dependent upon those who possess it
    From an old movie I saw
    Likes Speck, Dizzy LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

There is actually a lot of flooded timber on the east end of the Blue Springs lake near this point that I haven't tried before, maybe we'll try that tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dizzy; 10-19-2018 at 09:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a single bite today in those flooded timber. The fish finder showed quite a few fish but I couldn't entice them with the stuff I was using I guess...

It was chilly this morning at 630, and the wind was really whipping my little boat around though, so I just floated and let the wind push us around the trees.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't live up there anymore but you might give Prairie Lee lake a shot. It's just south of Jacomo and use to have some Crappie in it around the docks. It's a smaller lake and would be good for your smaller boat. Also Longview Lake. It has some standing timber on the south end and has a good population of both Bass and Crappie. If you wanted to go to Truman there are alot of places to put a smaller boat in and catch fish within eye sight of a ramp.
    Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    Thanks Dizzy thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hogster1 View Post
    I don't live up there anymore but you might give Prairie Lee lake a shot. It's just south of Jacomo and use to have some Crappie in it around the docks. It's a smaller lake and would be good for your smaller boat. Also Longview Lake. It has some standing timber on the south end and has a good population of both Bass and Crappie. If you wanted to go to Truman there are alot of places to put a smaller boat in and catch fish within eye sight of a ramp.
    Good luck.

I forgot about all the docks on prairie lee. Thanks!

Did you have any luck up here with jigs and plastics, or do they mostly only care about minnows around here? I wanted to try minnows today but we got to the lake far before the marina was open to buy any.

It was a pretty sunrise though. Name:  IMG_20181020_071346.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  47.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I only use plastics but I'm sure minnows would work.

There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    Thanks Dizzy thanked you for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast