Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New to forum!

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to forum!

Hey people im just getting back into fishing after a long vacation (8 years!) Well heres the deal my 8 year old son (see where i was going with that now!) is finally interested in doing some fishing with me. We have done alot of traveling racing motorcycles for the past 5 years and we are trying to spend some quality son, dad time doing some crappie fishing together. I went and bought a used 16 ' fisher w/ 35 merc on it last week. Anyone have any decent spots and tips to help us get going? I live about 20 miles north east of Richmond.

Thanks

P.S. My son is ready to go NOW! And yes i just took him to the Bassarama show now he has ants in his pants!

Post Thanks / Like

Good to here that about your Son.I live in Tidewater and down here max outboard size is like 10hp.I dont know the waters up by you so I cant help there.I have twin 5yr old girls that I fish with,one likes it one doesnt.Good luck to ya thou.
    CVN 71 VF-84 TOMCATS AIRFRAMER
    VA.Beach,VA.

Post Thanks / Like

Crash,

I was in a similar situation. I took a 15 year vacation from fishing. My oldest son turns 16 in March. Just got back into fishing a little over a year ago.

Kerr Reservoir and Lake Chesdin are fairly close to you and do not have any limits on motor size. I hear Kerr is a great place to crappie fish.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

glad to see you spend time with your son.i live on and fish on kerr lake.it is a great place to fish.i have a 13 year old who has been fishing with me since he was 2,he lives to fish and hunt.
    there are a lot of good creeks to fish down here that have nice campgrounds to stay at,rudds and butchers,grassy,sandy,bluestone and bufflo creeks.march thur may are prime times for these creeks,but you can catch crappie year round.i have heard good things about chesdin but i have yet to go,also lake anna should be close to you also and it is a good place so i hear.if you are ever come this way look me up and i will try and help you out as much as i can.it would be about a 2hr drive to kerr.if you would like to see some of what we catch on kerr you can look at my web site at www.davescrappieservice.4t.com.

Dave,
    Boydton,VA
    Dave
    Boydton,VA

Post Thanks / Like

Default Welcome aboard

Quote Originally Posted by dave
    glad to see you spend time with your son.i live on and fish on kerr lake.it is a great place to fish.i have a 13 year old who has been fishing with me since he was 2,he lives to fish and hunt.
    there are a lot of good creeks to fish down here that have nice campgrounds to stay at,rudds and butchers,grassy,sandy,bluestone and bufflo creeks.march thur may are prime times for these creeks,but you can catch crappie year round.i have heard good things about chesdin but i have yet to go,also lake anna should be close to you also and it is a good place so i hear.if you are ever come this way look me up and i will try and help you out as much as i can.it would be about a 2hr drive to kerr.if you would like to see some of what we catch on kerr you can look at my web site at www.davescrappieservice.4t.com.

Dave,
    Boydton,VA
    I have recently joined this site also, there's a wealth of info here, Im in norfolk, a ways away from richmond but Im sure someone will send some good info your way.
    good fishing to you and your son.
    mike (papermouth scaler)

it's cold.. it's raining....it's too windy...
    "fish on!!!"
    (What a great day for fishing) lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Crash, welcome to the board. Since you live near Richmond how about the Chick? Last year this time I did pretty good with the crappies and the best part is that I fished within a mile of the ramp. If interested let me know and I'll give you the specifics.
    My son is 22 now and we have had countless memorable times together because of fishing. Even when other things weren't great we could always go fish and talk without interruption or distractions. Now a lot of times there will be silence for long spells in the boat and both of us know that the other is feeling lucky just to be there. Always take time for your son. You'll never make a better use of your time.

Good Luck!- Brad Baker
    Father of 4 time bash winner. At least I'm pretty sure:o

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I envy you people that still have kids around you to take fishing. I have many pleasant memories of that, but it is unbelievable how fast they grow up. My wife and I have 6 boys between us. 2 in NC, 3 in Fla and only 1 here. But he is a Norfolk cop, works 2 jobs and a newly wed. So he doesn't have much time for the ole man anymore and I can understand that. One of my boys that lives in Tampa is suppose to come up and fish with me in Mar when I go to the lake. I met him over there last year for a few days and he really fell in love with the lake. I'm really looking forward to that.
    Enjoy them while you can!!!
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va