Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Live Bait or Lures, What Really Works Well

Post Thanks / Like

Default Live Bait or Lures, What Really Works Well

Greetings,

I'm a retired Vet and Commercial driver finally retired to do some fishing. For now til I'm able to find a decent boat from somewhere (Jon boat,preferably) I have to fish from the bank or the pier. I've used live worms and stink baits, DIY baits, commercial and plastics. I am wanting to know what will work best to catch more fish! So, where I live in Greensboro,NC there is only one place to get live bait and that is at Oak Hollow in High Point. Stuck with using either lures or worms which sometimes won't work.

I usually go for catfish but now am trying out for Crappie. I've watched alot of videos on Youtube and taken notes on what types of lures to use. So, when I finally go to the lake of my choice, I want to be armed on what types of lures or baits will work. I've also been told that if I don't have a boat, I won't catch anything from the bank or pier.

Can someone help me in determining what types of baits Crappie will go after and if not having a boat is a disadvantage of catching anything from the bank or pier. If there is a Greensboro native who has a boat that doesn't mind a fishing buddy please let me know!

Post Thanks / Like

I think you could use live minnows to catch crappie out of a mud-hole. Minners is my vote. Bank fishing can be a little bit of a disadvantage but minners will help even the odds.
    Likes greenchicken LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Student: "Master, how can I catch fish consistently?

Master: "Learn to use the jig, Grasshopper."
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Things are in transition now towards a winter bite where fish will be moving into the deepest water soon, But the very early and late bite a lot of crappie will still be shallow following the Shad.. when the Sun gets on up those Crappie have moved deeper or under Docks with Overcast days being better.

Post Thanks / Like

There's some good fishing in the lakes around Greensboro that rent boats and kayaks, so you aren't necessarily restricted to bank fishing. Look up Lakes Higgins, Townsend, and Brandt and you'll see what each has to offer. High Point is close by and has some quality water too.

I haven't used minnows in about 13 years and I catch crappie consistently year round. I don't always catch more than those using minnows, but some days I do.

Good Luck wherever you go.

Jim
    Likes trypman1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

any bait will work, but they'll work better with "SLAB SAUCE" sprayed on them. Available at the Crappie.Com store.
    NO Slab didn't pay me to say that. Check out the reviews on it. You can find them all over C.C
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer
    Likes "G", SuperDave336 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Get yourself a bunch of 1/16 oz. & 1/8 oz. plain ball head jigs. Dress them with a straight tailed plastic like the Bobby Garland's Baby Shads and also a good "paddle-tail" bait, such as the Charlie Brewer's Slider Grubs. Select about a half dozen of each, dependant upon the water color you are faced with fishing. With this line-up, you will catch plenty of crappie. Guaranteed.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. Both types have their time and place are are effective. My personal preference is a 1/16th jig head and a soft plastic lure sprayed with Slab Sauce.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Likes "G", zig zag LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

welcome to the board ….if you are a learner its hard to beat live bait …..and to be sure don't let anyone tell you cant ketch lots of crappie off the bank ….location and when to be there is key .
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  Screenshot_20180713-072703.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  36.3 KB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast