Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Question about depth

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question about depth

Here in east Texas where I fish, the water has cooled down to the mid 80’s on the two lakes I fish most of the time, I think mostly due to all the rain we have been getting because we just got our first cool front. I have been catching a few crappie in shallower water, from 3 to 6 feet, but they are all small, only on 10” crappie out of about a dozen that I caught shallow. However, when I go to the brush piles I fish in deeper water, I catch bigger crappie. The brush piles are in 18 to 20 feet of water with the crappie in about 15’ of water. Question is, will the bigger crappie eventually follow the smaller ones to the shallow water for a fall feeding? And if so, how long will they stay shallow?
    Thanks for your answers.

later...etex

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

In my experiance the smaller fish move in first....as the water cools down some more the others will move in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

I concur - however, the water temp has got to get down a lot more than the 80's for that to happen, in my opinion.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

some spots big fish will go super shallow when the conditions warrant it . I don't think we are anywhere near those conditions ...BUT …..
    I ketched a monster crappie the other day about 4 foot deep in 14 foot of water and all the larger specimens where at less than 6 feet down .
    deeper ON the brush still got you fish but they was small ones ….
    one of my buds in east Texas says he has noticed exactly the same scenario at a lake way east of where I ketched mine ….btw
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes etexbasser LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the response guys. I will continue to prowl the shallows and see how the progression plays out. I am catching them shallow on grass lines, my lake has a lot of grass in it and they are hanging off the edges. I have been throwing bettle spins and road runners mostly, and that has been producing, but like I said, most of them are smaller. It is fun though.
    later...etex