Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: crank baits

Post Thanks / Like

Default crank baits

what size and type crankbaits do you use? Do you troll them? Ever use a Three-Way Swivel with a sinker to have it run deeper?
    What do you think about this Bomber Fat-A 1/8oz crankbait for crappie trolling? How about the Rebel Jointed minnow 1 3/4", 1/12oz or the 2 ½", 1/8 oz.?
    Duane

My soon to be ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ah ha

I use tiger bombers, and rattle traps. Usually in the summer when hot and things are slow. Usually looking for underwater stuff, and fish as I go. I use a line clip/release mechanism. Similar to what is used deep sea fishing. Catch all sorts of water critters. It is fun. I think I showed Moose and Fatboy how I did this when they came up. Can't remember. I do know this technique will catch fish. I use big engine trolling like this, but drag a bucket in the water for speed control. Usually wonder all over the lake though, but heck I don't care. I ain't no expert.

Just to share info.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I am an expert at enjoying myself when I fish does that count for anything???
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duane
    what size and type crankbaits do you use? Do you troll them? Ever use a Three-Way Swivel with a sinker to have it run deeper?
    What do you think about this Bomber Fat-A 1/8oz crankbait for crappie trolling? How about the Rebel Jointed minnow 1 3/4", 1/12oz or the 2 ½", 1/8 oz.?
    I've had good luck with Bandit 200s and 300s when trolling crankbaits. When I want to get them deeper than they normally dive, I use an in-line sinker and about a two foot leader. I have no problem getting the bait down to twenty feet.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling crankbaits

Morning Duane: Casting the small crankbaits, creaturebaits, inline spinners and micro spinnerbaits, even spoons, can be very effective for crappie. In my opinion that would be a great technique if you have or know of a specific territory to target large crappie.

As for trolling for crappie, I have been doing my research lately and currently getting set up to do some this year. The one crankbait that I've heard the most about are the Bandit 300's. Been told that a bandit on 200 foot of line at 1.5mph will run 12 ft. deep and if you wanted it deeper, just add 8oz. of weight. I have tried trolling 4 rods out the back of the boat before and did okay, but had to be very, very careful to make the turns very wide. The outside baits start running faster and the inside ones slow and begin to rise. The end result is a tangled mess. This year I want to try a trolling technique with 4 rods staggered out one side of the boat.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Darryl:

I bet those crankbaits do go DEEP with 8-ounces of additional weight on them!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

A Bomber 5a in fire tiger is a deadly little trolling bait. A 6a works too but you have to contended with those cussed walleye getting on it all the time. The 5a is the better of the two I believe.
    'Carpe Diem' does not mean "fish of the day."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake
    Hey Darryl:

I bet those crankbaits do go DEEP with 8-ounces of additional weight on them!
    That's what I thought too when I heard it. Man, 1/2 a pound of lead is alot, but the man told me that when you pull it at 1.5mph or faster it will run the Bandit 300 at 20-25 foot deep. He also told me that deep in the summer the crappie will be that deep in open water holding really close to the bottom. I'm betting he's bouncing that craintbait off the bottom on some lakes. Just a guess. He fishes some in MS but mostly on Wapapello, MO and on tournament trails.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]