Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sticky reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default sticky reel

I just got back from a week of fishing at beautiful Black Lake in NY. I was casting a light (possibly 1/48th ounce) hair jig from my new Shimano reel when the line caught up (became slack) and while reeling in the line got caught up inside the reel. When I got back to camp I cleared the line and put another jig on but in using it the next day I found that the reel turned hard every third turn or so. It happens as the bail approaches the bottom of the reel. Turn, turn, turn and then stick. Needless to say fishing with this became annoying at best. Is it possible that line getting jammed inside the reel put something out of whack and is there an easy fix? Its a $58 reel so don't want to put too much money into a repair. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Has the reel ever gotten wet?

Cheaper Shimanos are famous for sticking ("binding") when wet.
    Likes Alphahawk LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

No. Didn't get wet. I just chalked it up to line getting into the reel itself. But when reading other threads I saw the same complaints although from different models.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Remove the spool and look real close to see if a price of line or something is stuck behind spool under washer.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, you have line on the shaft under the spool. Just fixed my Daiwa UL7 same thing.
    "Alive without breath, as cold as death; never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking."

Post Thanks / Like

What model of Shimano do you have? I use to be a long time Shimano fan until I started experiencing this same problem about 5 years ago. Turned out, it was the "friction ring" beneath the rotor (under the spool). The repair was easy and not expensive, but I had to go online for quite awhile before someone clued me into what the problem was. Then I ordered another ring from a company online specializing in reel parts.

BUT......then it happened to another Shimano of mine. Then a 3rd.! That's when I called it quits on their reels entirely. Switched over to Pflueger Presidents and never looked back. This may not be the same problem you're experiencing, but it sure sounds like it. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t know if you have line under your spool or not. But.....Shimano uses nylon bushings. Nylon can absorb water. It doesn’t take much to make that bushing swell. They use those bushings in their bottom line reels all the way up through the Stradic line. That very problem is what....eventually.....steered me to start buying reels made in Japan.....but that is another story. When I used Daiwa and Pflueger reels sold in the states the binding issue was never present in those reels. That problem has earned Shimano spinning reels the nickname “Shibindo”.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have 13 Shimano spinning reels Nexave Catana Sienna Sedona 500 1000 2500 4000. I fish once or twice a week sometimes more depending on the weather etc. I catch lots of fish all sizes and so far no binding problems with any of these Shimano reels.

Sent from my SM-G530P using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DRFISHDUCK View Post
    I have 13 Shimano spinning reels Nexave Catana Sienna Sedona 500 1000 2500 4000. I fish once or twice a week sometimes more depending on the weather etc. I catch lots of fish all sizes and so far no binding problems with any of these Shimano reels.

You’re lucky. Do an internet search of Shimano binding and you’ll find more posts....threads....articles...than you can read, or would want to read. Not saying they are a bad brand....just saying it is a known issue and has persisted in their line up of reels for years. For those that have it happen you can send it back to Shimano and they will make it good if under warranty. Or one can send it to Shimano for service......Shimano USA many times will send folks back a brand new model of the reel they sent in for service at no cost. Their service is outstanding.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes DRFISHDUCK, Crestliner08 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I did buy three used Sedonas off eBay they still worked good but just weren't as smooth as a new one, they were well used and had loosened up but none of them had any binding problems. I will eventually try some other brands of spinning reels to see how I like them, I like the drags on the shimano's and have had good luck with them and that's why I use them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast