Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: i wonder why ....

Post Thanks / Like

Default i wonder why ....

some of our local black crappie are built so much different than others . sometimes one will be really broad like a sunfish with real large fins and shaped like a plate, the next will be kinda streamlined like a bass .
    I often wonder why there is so much difference in them even on the same water body . could it be genetics or is it likely just some fed better than others ?
    or could it possibly be the diet and forage type they prefer ?
    I have read numerous articles on stomach contents and was amazed to see the contents on adult fish examined in some lakes . one would think shad was the main item but the analysis leaned heavily towards freshwater shrimp when it came to black crappie .
    I was also quite surprised to see one of the other preferred food items was a larger plankton type creature found often times on the concrete pillars in lakes early in the morning .
    so here I sit wondering again ….wonder if some just decide to chase shad and some don't
    or if its something else all together that drives these different shapes ?
    below are some photos of some I managed Tuesday at the same lake with different shapes on them .
    if you know do tell ...inquiring minds need to know don't you know …...
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes LedHed, scrat, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I can think of only two "possible" reasons for a long slanky Black Crappie :

Increased/decreased rate of growth .... gaining length faster than depth

It's a hybrid Crappie .... dorsal fin count would be less than 7 (or it could be a 2nd generation cross)

... it's a little hard to tell that much difference between #2 (middle pic) and the others, when #2's fins are collapsed, but I do sorta see #2's slimmer build.
    Likes river scum LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Johnny, put this over on the Arkansas board to D10. He is a fisheries guy for Arkansas. Very helpful young man. That's a great question you have posed. I have noticed the same thing about blacks in different states I have lived in over the years. My Experiance tells me they are a much more cover oriented fish the feed much more on insects, grass shrimp and very small minnows. These lakes I fish over here have very view blacks 98% whites feeding on shad. The very few blacks I have caught on these lakes usually hit a jig and would have crawfish in their stomach.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

x2 pappy

Post Thanks / Like

Most of them North Texas crappie I've caught look like they are on slim fast even the big'uns I've caught.....

This week I did see one out of Lake Arlington that look like my fish down in the Houston area....

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchn View Post
    or if its something else all together that drives these different shapes ?:
    I think the cause is Jenny Craig. Some dont belong.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app