PDA

View Full Version : Crappie eye

SteveJ
04-02-2007, 08:02 PM
I caught a crappie today, keeper, and when I was unhooking him I pulled his eyeball out on the hook. I left it on there and I seem to get a lot more bites on that jig than my others. Also a lot of taps, maybe brim? After I lost the eyeball it was back to normal so it seemed.

TapOut64
04-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Now thats a story you don't hear every day. :D

mrwillis
04-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Maybe next time you should hook your buddy's eye and fish with it. Do you think a human eye would catch a bigger fish?

FIN
04-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Now thats a story you don't hear every day. :D
Fantastic tip:D
FIN

wrwest
04-02-2007, 11:26 PM
that's interesting...

crappiekayaker
04-02-2007, 11:37 PM
:) Btdt:)

willsjwills
04-03-2007, 05:02 AM
Hmmmmmm, may be on to something, here. I did the same thing with a bream eye last fall. caught 7 fish with it before they tore it off, one of them a nice one. worth a follow-up.:) :)

brettw
04-03-2007, 06:32 AM
the eye of a crappie, and any other fresh water fish for that matter, contains a jelly like material which contains isolatin-sulfiomercurum. And it is that ISSFC compound that seems to attract the fish. Under lab tests the ISSFC attracted all types of fresh water fish, other than the common suacmal-hipis.
Hope this helps.
bw

LOL

Countrytime
04-03-2007, 07:04 AM
Ran into this situation about 12 years ago. I was at a 8 hour safety meeting at Engelhard conference center in Gordon,Georgia and we took one hour for lunch. There was a pond we called the research pond out back, and a fellow worker suggested we try to catch some bream off of some bread we found in the kitchen. We did and then he showed me something, he said take the eyeballs out of the sockets of the bream we caught off the bread and use them for bait, so I snatched them out with the hook I was using. We caught bream as fast as it hit the water. We caught a mess of bream off those fish eyeballs and caught catfish from the bream we used as cutbait. Nice little trip for one hour. I was impressed to say the least. Have tried it since and did not work. I guess those bream were really hungry. Goes to show you never know, have to improvise to the situation at hand.

FisherMike
04-03-2007, 08:42 AM
We do that up here when the perch fishing gets slow.
Catch a small perch and use his eyes for bait. I'm telling you. It can change a slow day into a fast day at times.

JuDGe
04-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Maybe they look like frog eggs or some other food source...

mperry
04-03-2007, 12:11 PM
I read about that in a fishing magazine. May have been Crappie world. Unusual ways to catch fish. Also said to put minnows in a clear jar and hang them over the side of the boat in the water. Not tried yet but sounds like a good idea.

chaunc
04-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Up north you do. We use perch eyes to icefish with. Maybe i'll give it a shot in open water this spring.

SpeckWick
04-03-2007, 05:12 PM
It's hard enough to catch good slabs as it is, now I have to try and catch one eyed crappie because somebody used their other eye for bait?:D Minnows have two eyes still attached, I think I'll go with them for now.....

PieEye
04-03-2007, 06:12 PM
I have seen and used them for perch fishing in Wisconsin. I also saw a guy get a ticket for taking the eye out of short fish and tossing the short fish away. Little fella didn't swim far blind. Your Thoughts..?

SteveJ
04-03-2007, 06:20 PM
It's hard enough to catch good slabs as it is, now I have to try and catch one eyed crappie because somebody used their other eye for bait?:D Minnows have two eyes still attached, I think I'll go with them for now.....

Use your keeper eyes.

crappie10
04-03-2007, 08:17 PM
I have noticed that this works and won't take one off if it ends up there, but I don't intentionally do it. I have also noticed that you get more bites if that little bit of skin gets stuck on it when you unhook a fish.
it's not a dumb gimmick.

shipahoy41
04-04-2007, 05:09 AM
Hey Fishermike

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm doesn't a pinmin resemble a perch eye?

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/ check them out. They are great for 'gills.

old ship