Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Line twist/ longline trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default Line twist/ longline trolling

Guy, I seem to have more trouble than most on line twist. I've spooled with label up, label down and pull out a bunch and reel it back in thru the grass. Anyone have any suggestions? I have started using a tiny swivel up about 5" from the jig and it seems to help. I don't reel in with the drag slipping, I've heard this causes line twist. I do catch a dog many smal fish that " twirls" when you reel em in. I've used several brands of line, I seemed to like the viscous brand. I was in need of some bad this week, BPS didn't have any on the shelves so I opted with their brand of crappie hi vis line. Have not tried it. It wasn't the Mr. Crappie
    HEY,,WATCH THAT YELLOW ROD

Post Thanks / Like

That's basically why I use braid on most of my reels. I use mono on a couple reels and when it starts to twist I cut all tackle off the line and then troll all line off the reel behind the boat. To be honest I usually do this after a fresh respool anyway. Then I just reel it back up. Don't let it get out of hand before doing this or it will never untwist. I use swivels also and make sure your baits are running true to begin with. A wobbly running bait is going to do cart wheels at trolling speed.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Slab recently had a post on here about taking spool full of line off reel and soaking in a pan of hot water. Seems that works pretty good.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes "G" LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to this link, then scroll down to letting line relax on spool.
    6 Tips to Prevent Line Twist on a Spinning Reel | SkyAboveUs
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Here is Richard Gene's video that Slab posted.

YouTube
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Do you close your bail by hand? This is the most common problem I see. Even old Richard does it. Whenever you close it by the reel handle it will twist every time if you watch Richard he always pulls the line after he closes the bail.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes FurFlyin LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I was gonna have to beat my 16 year old son this spring to make him start closing the bail by hand. LOL

It wears out the bail spring too.

I had more line twist this past week on some freshly spooled reels than I've had in a long time. I don't know what the cause of that was.

Javelin 180 is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FurFlyin View Post
    I thought I was gonna have to beat my 16 year old son this spring to make him start closing the bail by hand. LOL

It wears out the bail spring too.

I had more line twist this past week on some freshly spooled reels than I've had in a long time. I don't know what the cause of that was.
    . It was worse on mine this past weekend also I wonder if humidity has anything to do with it probably not but it has never been that bad and I didn't have fresh line.

Post Thanks / Like

Line twist on spinning tackle helped drive me to using braid on baitcasters. Haven't had a problem since.

Good luck whatever you go with.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Javelin 180 View Post
    . It was worse on mine this past weekend also I wonder if humidity has anything to do with it probably not but it has never been that bad and I didn't have fresh line.
    Don't know, but I did have fresh line. Pretty new, used maybe one fishing trip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast