PDA

View Full Version : Bait Pump Strikes Again!!

slabbandit
04-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Bait Pump and Bighead Jigs...Awesome combination!!:)

2 lbs 6 oz. 11 feet deep!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a152/slabbandit/4-2-07.jpg

grubby
04-02-2007, 09:36 PM
sure nice looking slab you got there.WTG

Countrytime
04-03-2007, 07:12 AM
That's a hoss slabandit, what kind of tube is that on that jighead?

john h
04-03-2007, 07:39 AM
awesome fish i have yet to hit a 2 pounder. they got em up here but just cant seem to nail me one of them hawg slabs

adacrappieman
04-03-2007, 07:49 AM
I got a question for you guys on the bait pump. Not to take any business away from the guy selling it but you know you can get plastic syringes like that for free at any local health place. They are super cheap. Not the exact same thing in design but it would work exactly the same. I have one that I use to flush out my sinuses with. It has the part you can pull out (The pump part) and the syringe part that holds it in. My mom's an nurse and I get them for free.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. I think in the medical lingo they are called irrigators or something..I know they use them to flush out wounds and stuff.

whackmaster
04-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Not to sound dense but what exactly are we doing with the bait pump ?

adacrappieman
04-03-2007, 09:13 AM
You but things like crappie nibbles into it and it mashes them up and you can squeeze them into tubes. That way you still get the attractant smell plus you get a long length use out of them in the tube.

superdave1984
04-03-2007, 11:13 AM
I got a question for you guys on the bait pump. Not to take any business away from the guy selling it but you know you can get plastic syringes like that for free at any local health place. They are super cheap. Not the exact same thing in design but it would work exactly the same. I have one that I use to flush out my sinuses with. It has the part you can pull out (The pump part) and the syringe part that holds it in. My mom's an nurse and I get them for free.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. I think in the medical lingo they are called irrigators or something..I know they use them to flush out wounds and stuff.

You can also go to any store like Rural King or Tractor Supply that sells livestock veterinary supplies and get one similar for < $2.

adacrappieman
04-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Yep...same thing I'm talking about pretty much.

backtocrappie
04-03-2007, 11:40 AM
don't feel bad whackmaster I was just sitting here thinking the same thing. Lord knows I have at least a dozen of those pumps/syringes at home from all the snotty noses and medicines around here. You can get em at any drug store.

slabbandit
04-03-2007, 12:44 PM
Those syringes and turkey injectors don't hold a candle to the Bait Pump.
Trust me... been there and tried that. It takes an incredible amount of pressure to compress the Crappie Nibbles and inject them up into the hollow tubes.
We have caught at least a dozen crappie over 2 pounds so far this year and I believe the Bait Pump played an important part in attracting these big slabs into biting. Not to mention the amount of wasted Crappie Nibbles saved from getting them knocked of the hook.
As far as the brand of jigs that we use on the Bighead Jigs we use the SuperJigs by Midsouth Tackle out of Jonesboro, AR. The color on the bottom is a new color that they have come out with that I think is going to be a hot producer...It's a Junebug/Chartreuse with Glitter.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a152/slabbandit/baitpump1.jpg

Tube jig after injecting...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a152/slabbandit/baitpump2.jpg

The Bait Pump can be ordered right here on Crappie.com thru Crappie.com member Slabhunter. Randy has an awesome product here that will pay for itself in short time. You will not have to go through as many Crappie Nibbles in a day of fishing.

The 1/4 oz. Bighead Jigs that my wife and I use are available thru www.bigheadjigs.com

ShortStorie
04-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Not the same as a medical syringe... The Bait Pump is machined from a heavy, high density plastic. The plunger and the body are threaded so you turn the plunger getting a lot of pressure to squeeze crappie nibbles through the small opening. Saw where someone else on the board was able to us a medical syringe to squeeze nibbles but I bet it took a lot more pushin'.
Besides the guy who makes it is a nice guy and a frequent contributor to this board.

whackmaster
04-03-2007, 07:14 PM
Thanks everyone for the clarification.....I do ALOT of fishing and I couldn't figure out what it was used for, for the life of me !

Litebite
04-03-2007, 07:27 PM
I'm not big on jig fishing but I'm willing and open to try anything and will give an honest opinion on it too....I was given a Bait Pump as a gift so out of respect I tried it and I was very impressed at how well it worked...For anyone who likes to use jigs and crappie nibbles that Pump is a must.....No mess what so ever and now I don't mind useing the sparkle ones that I hated because of the mess.....It is very well made and I doubt you could make it any better than it is......Honestly...

Now if I could just get the hang of those microspoons......:D

FIN
04-03-2007, 11:05 PM
I've found these to work very well.
You can also mix up some crappie nibles with cod liver oil or olive oil or anything you care to and inject it the same way.
The crawfish scent works GOOD!
FIN

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0011703115281a&navCount=2&podId=0011703&parentId=cat160006&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat20166-cat160006&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat160006&hasJS=true

isnms
04-11-2007, 11:24 AM
After doing the research for a syringe and reading how difficult it is to compress the dense crappie nibbles with a regular syringe, I purchased a Bait Pump. Can't wait to get to use it :)

JIG BITE
04-11-2007, 11:35 AM
I read on the bait pump, that the nibbles have a compression factor and a regular syringe will not have the strength to compress the nibbles out. Also, how do you clean out the bait pump and care for it or does it have a lid for it and you just keep the nibbles in there.

PanMan_VA
04-11-2007, 12:03 PM
I just leave the nibbles in the pump. To make the nibbles a little less viscous and to keep them from drying out, I mix them with shad scented Lunker Sauce.

adacrappieman
04-11-2007, 01:46 PM
The thick medical syringe (not thelittle one used to feed cats or dogs) works great. Plenty of pressure. I use it and it doesn't take a lot of pressure to squash the nibbles.

taylmatr
04-11-2007, 04:54 PM
I dont know who said there hard to compress in a syringe but there full of it. I use a dental syringe from walmart, just cut the hole in the end a little bigger for a tube. Its EASY.

KCMO CRAPPIESLAYER
04-11-2007, 05:43 PM
what's the link for the bait pump, gonna purchase one. go through a ton of nibbles, been wanting one. can't find how to order one, warm weather next week, got a new crappie rig and taking a week off to go to truman, keep postponing my 2 week vacation:) thanks and good fish'n to all!

creekslick
04-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Try this link.http://www.thebaitpump.com/

Cane Pole
04-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Wonder why Nibbles don't come in a tube like bathtub caulk?

KCMO CRAPPIESLAYER
04-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Try this link.http://www.thebaitpump.com/

thanks creek, got me one tonite, i know prolly a stupid question but there for the reg. old hollow tube jigs, cuz i got about a 100 different colors so im good correct cuz unless physics changed you would'nt be able to put them in a solid tube :D

slabbandit
04-12-2007, 12:39 AM
Yea,they are for the hollow tubes. Just put your jighead in your tube first and then put the tube as far down on the Baitpump as you can get it. Inject the tube until it pushes off the Baitpump. Will last thru several fish.
Fixen' to go back to the Gold Sparkle Nibbles. I used to use them as they simulated scales from attacked baitfish floating around the jig but they were too soft to stay on the bare jighook very long.
My wife likes to still put her's on the hook each time so she still likes the Chartreuse Glow Nibbles. They are a little bit tougher and last longer on the hook.

Bluejay
04-12-2007, 09:55 AM
KCMO CRAPPIESLAYER. When you going to Truman? I will be down there the 23rd thru 27th.

FishnLine
04-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Very nice slabbandit!

KCMO CRAPPIESLAYER
04-12-2007, 03:25 PM
[QUOTE=Bluejay]KCMO CRAPPIESLAYER. When you going to Truman? I will be down there the 23rd thru 27th.[/QUOTE

me and a buddy are head'n down the 19th just for the weekend, then go'n back down the 28th and staying til the 5th or 6th probably. then back to work the 7th but i'll still go on the weekends while the bite is still go'n. camp down there at berry bend.

KCMO CRAPPIESLAYER
04-12-2007, 03:29 PM
oh yah if it's on .... i may tell my boss i'm tak'n the rest of april off.

robbor
04-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Ive been eyeballing your bighead jigs. I was a little dissapointed when I went to their site a while back as they dont really list any info, weight,hook size....
I see you listed they are 1/4 oz, thanks. How you you like the shank/barb, Ive got to wonder if they aren really big on a little 1.5" tube as squeezing them on a big teezur really stretches them? From your pic they look fine but I dont know if those are 2' tubes or not. Thanks for the pics. And the bait pump looks great! Super HD like I like.

slabbandit
04-13-2007, 12:21 AM
Hey there Robbor, The Bighead Jig only comes in one weight and style. Trust me it's all you'll need. They weigh 1/4 oz. and the neat thing is that they don't have a huge oversized hook on them like most 1/4 oz. heads do. The Bighead Jig has a #4 hook which is the same size as a 1/16 oz jig would have.
I use the Super Jigs by Midsouth Tackle out of Jonesboro, AR. I believe that they are 1 1/2" long. As you can see by the pictures that I post they make a good looking combination.
They are only available in Red, Chartreuse, Black, White, and unpainted.

kamikaze82
04-13-2007, 12:33 AM
It's when your floater just bounces a little but doesn't go under. What the heck is a nibble?

robbor
04-13-2007, 02:41 AM
perfect, I get annoyed by all the big hooks.

bugman
04-13-2007, 05:42 AM
Well i must be "full of it" too because i tried several different syringes before i found the bait pump and there aint no comparison....bait pump hands down plus were not talking about alot of money here....about any cheapskate can afford $15.00.

jlaughlin72
04-13-2007, 06:30 AM
It's when your floater just bounces a little but doesn't go under. What the heck is a nibble?
A nibble, I think they are refering to Crappie Nibbles. Berkley puts them out, and you can find them at most walmarts, bps, and academy.
http://www.fishusa.com/tackleshop/assets/product_images/48020191b.jpg

slabbandit
04-13-2007, 09:36 AM
I agree 100% with you Bugman! Who wouldn't spend 15 bucks on such a product as the Bait Pump. It's the handiest thing since sliced bread!;)
Somebody else had a miniature caulking gun out and it sold for over 30 bucks!!:(

BigD
04-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Because of this thread I decided to buy two of them (one for me and one for my dad). I did not see how long it will take to get them in the mail from the website but from what you said on this website, it should not be long.

I live in Andover Ohio, and last week the spawn was insane (that is before this cold front came). It was almost sinful to pull them females up from the shallow water as fast as you could get the jig down or minnow. But now with the water temperature at 45 degrees the fish went deep and I don’t have a boat…lol

I hope this new method will be fun for the kids who hate to hook minnows in through the eyes and for me as I walk the rocky embankment next month. It looks like the weather is going to stay bad in Ohio for a long time.

Darn, just when I had gotten the crappie bug.

Oh well…looks like I will wade for Walleye a little longer…

BigD

CrappieLovinGirl
04-13-2007, 03:10 PM
You guys sold me on one, too. I ordered one today. Now if I can just figure out how to shoot those nibbles into the minnow's mouth with it, I'll be good to go. Hee Hee Hee (I'm hoping the bait pump will entice me to use jigs more).
CrappieLovinGirl

Bluejay
04-13-2007, 04:28 PM
You will not be sorry. Bought mine last year and use fewer nibbles and don't have to put one on every time you catch a fish.

Welcome CrappieLovinGirl. Where you from?

crappiekiller2
04-13-2007, 05:47 PM
they work great, we used ours at Grenada last year and we caught about 5 fish before we had to inject more nibbles.
Ours from ordet to deleverly took about 3 days, best service ever. :D

twojigginjohn
04-13-2007, 06:27 PM
been usung the syringe for years. super easy, super affordabe and super effective.

jlaughlin72
04-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Randy, aka Slab Hunter, on the Louisiana board it the one that invented the Bait Pump. Great fellow, I talked to him at a few of the gatherings we have and he told me that he discarded a whole bunch of the bait pumps, because of very simple flaws in them, scratched, slight discoloration, (stuff that hardly any of us would notice if we were looking for it). He is only gonna ship one to you if it is top quality. The shipping on them is usually less than 5 days, depending on where you live, and I don't think you will find a better person to do business with. I ordered mine a while back and have no regrets. Even changing colors isn't hard to do either. Just twist the knob til you squeeze all of the nibbles out, I squeeze mine right back into the nibble jar. Then change colors. And it fits in the tackle box right next to the nibbles...lol... IMHO, if you buy one you will not regret it.

kamikaze82
04-14-2007, 12:00 AM
:eek: 15 bucks wow I thought you all were talking maybe $5 that's a big difference when syringes come very cheap. Sounds like they would work the same to. I'm gonna go ask my aunt that's a nurse for a large syringe.

CrappieLovinGirl
04-14-2007, 10:23 AM
BlueJay and others,

I live in Nashville, TN. I'm new to the board, never did formally introduce myself. Sorry about that. I've only been in Nashville 5 years and don't know much about Percy Priest Lake YET, but I want to learn. We lived in Murray, Kentucky over 20 years and that's where I learned to fish Kentucky Lake for crappie. I live for spring to come so I can go catch crappie! My sister and I go crappie fishing every April for about 10 days on Kentucky Lake. I work full-time, so I can't go much. Usually try to get in a few weekends if possible, too. I'm learning so much on this board on the kentuckylake.com website. I have an old 14' jon boat (bought the boat, motor and trailer 25 years ago for $1000!!!). My husband keeps offering to buy me a new one, but I say, "Nah, my old boat catches fish!" It is not the best setup in the world, but works pretty well. Well, enough about me. Thanks, guys for all the great info!

By the way, Shiloh Red and others, my sister that fishes with me lives in Michie. Small world, huh? She and my Mother would fish more if they knew more places to bank/pier fish. They fish some off the pier at Scruggs Bridge. Do any of you know any other good crappie spots (piers/etc.)?

Thanks,
CrappieLovinGirl

CrappieLovinGirl
04-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Guys, do any of you know why "GUPPY" is under my name on all my posts? I didn't choose it anywhere that I know of. I don't want to be a "guppy!" I want to be a slabhunter or master like you guys!
CrappieLovinGirl

zebkedic
04-14-2007, 10:36 AM
it is based on how many posts you've done. As you do more posting, you'll get upgraded automatically. So, post more and you'll be a master before you know it.

CrappieLovinGirl
04-16-2007, 09:15 AM
Thanks so much, Zebkedik! I guess I'll just have to post more...

BigD
04-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Well, I just got mine. Very fast service! It's just starting to warm up here in Ohio today. Maybe I will be able to put it to use the weekend.

It seems very solid and heavy. Well made!

I will let you know how it goes at jig time,

Doug

slabbandit
04-18-2007, 01:36 AM
The Chartreuse Glow Nibbles are a little bit tougher and more suited to put on the jig hook itself. They certainly can be used in the Baitpump but I discovered this weekend that I like to use the Sparkle Crappie Nibbles with glitter better in the Baitpump. They are a lot softer therefore they pump easier and I noticed that they will fill the jig up better before the pressure pushes the jig off of the Baitpump.
And I really like the glitter as it dissolves out of the jig. I believe that it simulates scales floating in the water as if something just fed on a shad. I have actually had the bite get more intense at a brushpile due to the crappie seeing all the glitter along with the scent from the Nibbles floating around.

BigD
04-18-2007, 07:13 AM
The Chartreuse Glow Nibbles are a little bit tougher and more suited to put on the jig hook itself. They certainly can be used in the Baitpump but I discovered this weekend that I like to use the Sparkle Crappie Nibbles with glitter better in the Baitpump. They are a lot softer therefore they pump easier and I noticed that they will fill the jig up better before the pressure pushes the jig off of the Baitpump.
And I really like the glitter as it dissolves out of the jig. I believe that it simulates scales floating in the water as if something just fed on a shad. I have actually had the bite get more intense at a brushpile due to the crappie seeing all the glitter along with the scent from the Nibbles floating around.

Thats exactly what I baught. I will let you know if it works here in Ohio this weekend.

D

ShilohRed
04-18-2007, 07:59 AM
BlueJay and others,

I live in Nashville, TN. I'm new to the board, never did formally introduce myself. Sorry about that. I've only been in Nashville 5 years and don't know much about Percy Priest Lake YET, but I want to learn. We lived in Murray, Kentucky over 20 years and that's where I learned to fish Kentucky Lake for crappie. I live for spring to come so I can go catch crappie! My sister and I go crappie fishing every April for about 10 days on Kentucky Lake. I work full-time, so I can't go much. Usually try to get in a few weekends if possible, too. I'm learning so much on this board on the kentuckylake.com website. I have an old 14' jon boat (bought the boat, motor and trailer 25 years ago for $1000!!!). My husband keeps offering to buy me a new one, but I say, "Nah, my old boat catches fish!" It is not the best setup in the world, but works pretty well. Well, enough about me. Thanks, guys for all the great info!

By the way, Shiloh Red and others, my sister that fishes with me lives in Michie. Small world, huh? She and my Mother would fish more if they knew more places to bank/pier fish. They fish some off the pier at Scruggs Bridge. Do any of you know any other good crappie spots (piers/etc.)?

Thanks,
CrappieLovinGirl

HI there sorry I did not see this post before. I guess I just did not read enough. LOL
Man your sister lives in Miche and fished scruggs bridge?
Hope the boat ramp side. As I think that is the cut off point for Tn license.
They could also fish the levy at Yellow creek there at aqua. Theres lots of people that park in the pull offs there at the state line HWy57 turns into HWY 25 there.
Or at the state park. Theres lots of places there. Down at the big boat ramp theres a fishing dock. Right hand outside has a crappie bed hanging from it.
Pete

willsjwills
04-18-2007, 03:40 PM
got my bait pump today. I'll have to say this is one quality piece of work. I have been in the metal trades all my life, and I will have to say this is one of the best cnc machining jobs on plastic I have ever seen. Great job, Randy. Folks, this is not a molded from plastic tool. This sucker is machined from solid plastic rod on a very expensive machine.:) :)

Speck
04-18-2007, 04:34 PM
I'm sold on the bait pump also!

CrappieAngler
04-18-2007, 04:54 PM
I got a question for you guys on the bait pump. Not to take any business away from the guy selling it but you know you can get plastic syringes like that for free at any local health place. They are super cheap. Not the exact same thing in design but it would work exactly the same.

I just got my bait pump in the mail today... let me say this, NO SYRINGE from a pharmacy or health food store could EVER be this well made. I am extremely impressed and can not wait to try it out.

By the looks of the way this thing is made, it'll be very durable and useful for MANY years to come. My hats off to this gentlemen.
I am going to buy a few more here shortly and give one to my father.

Big_Red
04-18-2007, 08:52 PM
Hmmm.....going to have to try this!

jlaughlin72
04-18-2007, 09:42 PM
This is an interesting thread. I don't want anyone out here to feel targeted with this statement, but i dont think the cost should scare anyone from buying one. Yes, ya'll can use a syringe if you want. But for 15 bucks it is a fishing investment well worth it. I know I have bought baits before that cost me 5 dollars and didn't catch a fish, at least I know this will work. I paid more for my scale than that, rod holder for almost the same price. And now it cost more than that to fill the fuel tank for the boat. And if I was to break my bait pump tomorrow on a fishing trip, I would be online tomorrow night to order another one. So those that don't agree with the cost, we apparently have different views on this issue. Good luck to everyone with their ventures.

KCMO CRAPPIESLAYER
04-18-2007, 09:58 PM
i got to use mine for the first time today. me and my buddy both were very impressed. i have always been a firm believer since the nibbles came out. great not keep having to put a new nibble on for whatever reason. solid product. also tried my bighead jigs today. unfortunely no crappie, fished shallow, deep, graphed them staged up right were they should be, just could'nt get em to bite. it's gonna get better soon(i hope)

slab-happy
04-18-2007, 11:22 PM
I also have one and can't wait to show my fishin buddy at the lake. He is a diehard believer of the crappie nibbles. Also be careful not to drop it because I heard that the needle part of the bait pump will break off easy.

CrappieAngler
04-18-2007, 11:28 PM
This is an interesting thread. I don't want anyone out here to feel targeted with this statement, but i dont think the cost should scare anyone from buying one. Yes, ya'll can use a syringe if you want. But for 15 bucks it is a fishing investment well worth it. I know I have bought baits before that cost me 5 dollars and didn't catch a fish, at least I know this will work. I paid more for my scale than that, rod holder for almost the same price. And now it cost more than that to fill the fuel tank for the boat. And if I was to break my bait pump tomorrow on a fishing trip, I would be online tomorrow night to order another one. So those that don't agree with the cost, we apparently have different views on this issue. Good luck to everyone with their ventures.

You're not lieing. I plan on buying another 4 or 5 of them as an isurance policy against the plague of "*hit Happens" that seems to follow me. And like I said to those who made the comments, NO syringe will do what this little contraption will.

BigD
04-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Wooooooow!:eek:

I finally got to use it.

I can’t believe how good it does. At 5am this morning I caught 6 fish on a small tube jig (1/32 magnetic hook) filled with nibbles from the bait pump while my minnow pole caught one!

What amazed me was they bait from both poles where at the same depth and yet the crappie took the nibble/jig tube over the live minnow.

I had a crappie rig with two minnows on it that did not even get a fish?

I used the same jig last night and this morning and yet it still had the same amount of nibbles still inside. This is definitely my new passion for catching crappie and is a heck of a lot easier than hauling minnows around.:D

I just love that bait pump!!

Doug Holland

willsjwills
04-19-2007, 03:28 PM
yep. no minnow bucket to tote around.

JimmyZ
04-20-2007, 08:42 PM
Yup. this bait pump works great, and I was also very impressed with the quality workmanship in it. It's solid and best of all made in the U.S.A.

roh1961
05-08-2007, 08:33 PM
I have a bait pump and like it very much. I was sending a friend the link to it and noticed this on the home page.
This gives the bait a more realistic scent, flavor and texture.
The Bait Pump injects crappie nibbles, catfish dough, worms, shrimp,
and just about any other chopped bait.
Does anyone use the pump for bait other than crappie nibbles and how well does it work?
http://www.thebaitpump.com/

FisherMike
05-09-2007, 01:19 PM
You guys just talk me into fishing with tied jigs, then you switch over to this other stuff.:mad:

Now what the heck do I tell my wife??:D

I wonder if I can tie some nibbles under the marabou.