Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prop pitch question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Prop pitch question

I have a prop that's getting a little bent up, and want to buy a new one to put on, and keep the old one for a spare. The motor is a 94 mercury 40hp.

On iboats website, I can narrow it down to a certain prop, but then get 15 or so choices on pitch . I have no idea what the pitch is or does, so can anyone lend me a little knowledge on this subject?

Thanks in advance if you can help.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

The higher number on the pitch means more speed. The lower number on the pitch means better hole shot.If you go lower than the pitch that came on the motor you need to watch your RPM'S. When a motor and prop are put together at the factory the prop is suppose to let the motor run in its ideal range wide open,but when you go down in pitch you can over rev the engine so you need to keep a close eye on the RPM"S.
    MT.DEW AND JP8 IN THE MORNING GETS THE BLOOD FLOWING.

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl

best place for boat and motor information
    retired and now i will always fish

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

To get the proper prop, you really need a tach. You want the motor to run at the recommended WOT (wide opeen throttle). Anything below or above is really not good for the motor. See if this helps. http://boatfix.com/how/props.html
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I'll check into all of this.

Post Thanks / Like

Does 3 or 4 blades make a big difference?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

4 blades will give you a better hole shot and 3 is just a tad better on top end.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I ran a 15p 3 blade stainless on my old 50hp Evinrude. I've heard some say you should run a slightly higher pitch prop if you have an aluminum prop. (because it flexes). If you fish stumpy water, forget the aluminum... you'll spend more replacing it again and again. Check your prop shop for a reconditioned steel one if they have the right size. Better than new aluminum.

Just noticed you live in Lee's Summit. Check out Midwest Propeller in Olathe. They do ALL the prop repair and reconditioning for the shops in the KC area. They have a website that tells what they have in stock... Google it.
    Last edited by ShortStorie; 04-02-2007 at 05:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Pitch is the angle of the blade, example, going from a 9 pitch to 13 pitch can kill the proformance, it being more pitch may not let the boat come up on plane, it may not be able to get the rpm's up high enough to spin the prop. imo, go to the dealer that sells your motor and ask for advice or get an identical prop and you will be safe
    Stinkies Daddy

Post Thanks / Like

The pitch of your old prop should be stamped on the hub. If it worked well just go with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast