Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TRAGEDY STRIKES IN TEXAS !

Post Thanks / Like

Default TRAGEDY STRIKES IN TEXAS !

So there I was ,all alone on a sinking dock . Slippery walk ways half submerged with algae growing all over them . None of the platforms are level and its a dangerous place to be without a doubt. The owner gave me permission to be on it but said its really dangerous and be really careful . Famous last words for sure .
    I cant resist the opportunity to ketch crappie on a well placed jig as you might have noticed and even being old enough at over 60 to know better I often put myself in precarious situations to land a few .
    Back to the tragedy , I am just a jerking fish out in a fashion real similar to all the videos and tv shows about angling . Its just me against them and they aint winning ! I find some that are real nice quality for this particular water body and one of the black crappie isn't to shy of the local lake record I imagine .
    I find whites and blacks mixed together with the whites around 6 to 7 foot deep and the blacks around 3 to 4 foot deep in 10 to 12 foot of water in the shade at high noon . The bite is good and about the third fish I hooked what I think was a real big crappie and it steam rolled me and my xtreme light quantum and broke my 4 lb test .
    Right near the end of my visit I find some jim dandy blackies out on the deep end just barely under the dock and get busy .The pitch and the line just sets and wont sink and the rapid hook sets are just to much fun . Then as it often happens ……..
    TRAGEDY OCCURS ! I hook up a whopper and fight gets rather ugly on that little ultralight and the fish pulls hard one way and I pull hard the other . The drag squeals and I am thinking oh yeah come to papa for a quick photo . The fish comes undone somehow and of course my balance and slippery footing and precarious perch and ….
    KABOOM the rod whips back and clips the metal support on its very light lil tip and SNAP ...and its a sad ending to a marvelous trip . No worries though , the local bait shop has micro guide rod tips and with a bit of epoxy and a 24 hour sit we are back in business on that lil jewel …..
    hope you enjoy the read and photos
    and for sure KABOOM
    crème red sparkle tubes was the bait before you ask ….btw ...
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales

Post Thanks / Like

Hate to hear of the Tragedy but I'm sure ketchn all those crappie helped ease the pain some. As always, good job. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Least you was able to fix your rod..... Ain't no fix'n too mine.....
    Nice catches....

Post Thanks / Like

I was gonna ask for your auto-graph on this book....

Post Thanks / Like

Nice catch

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for he read and the pictures. Glad to hear it was a rod tip and not you...Tips, or rods are fixable, however, as i'm sure you know, we don't mend like we used to.
    Likes mac LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Good read and some nice fish. Glad it was just a tip and not the old guy having issues with a bad dock or sumtin. Good fix and back at it.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes mac LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I see you use a lot of different colors of jigs. Do you change out several different colors to determine which works best or make what you have work for you. What determines the color that you use from day to day. I read water color clear, muddy, stain, etc. determines what color to use but I have a lot of trouble choosing the right color myself looks like. That's why I keep going back to minnows as they are always the right color looks like.
    Be safe and good luck fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrat View Post
    I see you use a lot of different colors of jigs. Do you change out several different colors to determine which works best or make what you have work for you. What determines the color that you use from day to day. I read water color clear, muddy, stain, etc. determines what color to use but I have a lot of trouble choosing the right color myself looks like.
    x2
    Usually just use what I think look pretty to me...

Guess that's why I don't ketch as many as you...lol
    Likes "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I was waiting for you to tell us you fell in, had to swim to shore whilst fighting off gators and a venomous Duck!

However, breaking a rod (especially a favorite) is far worse than losing something to the depths of Davey Jones Locker.

I have fishing rods that are worth 10 bucks and rods worth 100's. Why is it that usually, your favorite rod (also the cheapest) which was purchased 30 years ago, is always the one that has the missfortune happen to it. NOT slammed in a car door like the 200 plus dollar model, or stepped on by the neighbor kid....

A few years ago I broke a favorite of mine. One of those "they havn't made this rod in 20 years" models. I think the rod cost me 10 bucks. I have other rods that are way better but, this rod does ONE thing very well. And it is used for that. So, it sits in the corner of the barn for two years. Although I'm a rod builder, I know that I can never return this thing to it's previous glory.

Then, as I'm strolling through the isles of a Northern Michigan store I see it. Beaming at my. I ran to it like it was black friday, it was on sale, and I had to beat 10 other people to get it (no one else in the store mind you). The lights shined down from the heavens as monks began to sing in my ear! I thrust it to the sky like King Aurthor and his sword. We were now one. It was identicle! I gently swept off the dust and smelled the cork handle. I gently carried it to the front of the store.

The cashier looked at me, looked at it and said "your going to buy that old turd"? "It has probably been siting in this store for 10 years"! I pulled the $7.50 cents out of my wallet and went to hand it to them. Keep it they say, and thanks for getting that ugly thing out of this store!!!!!

I went home and ran straight to the barn. Ok, I drove out to the barn. I pulled the old reel out from the cabinet and went to screw it on to the reel seat.... SNAP. The reel seat cracked, the cork cracked, it fell apart. Did I mention I was a rod builder? I was heartbroken for a little less than 15 seconds when I realized that, old glory, sitting in the corner, had a borken tip section (2 piece rod), this rod, had a broken butt section (2 piece rod). I married the old with the new and wouldn't you know it, it was just like I remember it. Or maybe it wasn't.

In the two years she was gone, I moved on to better things. Better reels, better line, and much better rods. What used to do one thing well, has been replaced by rods that are better.

What did I do with it? I gave it to a buddy.

I hope you get your rod fixed quick. Too long without it and you will find a replacement. All that is left are the memories!
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes Carm707 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast