HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Look Whose Coming to Dinner

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Look Whose Coming to Dinner

Hello All,

Ever since my wife and I have been together we have shared a love for all of the creatures of the outdoors... and have always fed the birds and the critters around our house... just because we love to see and enjoy them. My wife's nickname is Ellie Mae and (I'm satisfied) if she had her way we would have a zoo and own and care for multiple species both wild and domestic.

Here are just a few of the pics (of many) that I have taken of the animals that have taken advantage of our feeding efforts. We put out a variety of bird seed, black oil sunflower seeds and some fruits and vegetable table scraps. The fox loves Purina Cat Chow Seafood Medley and so do the opossums and raccoons.

Name:  Bird Feeder Bandits (1).jpg
Views: 586
Size:  118.4 KB

Name:  Bird Feeder Bandits (2).jpg
Views: 582
Size:  51.0 KB

Name:  Bird Feeder Bandits (3).jpg
Views: 566
Size:  105.9 KB

Name:  Bird Feeder Bandits (4).jpg
Views: 578
Size:  136.6 KB

Name:  Bird Feeder Bandits (5).jpg
Views: 573
Size:  121.9 KB

Recently, the mother fox that you see in the pictures has given birth to two pups who lately have been weaned and now visit regularly too. I haven't taken any pictures of the pups, because they only come right at dark when it's too dark to take pictures without a flash. The doe deer has also fawned over the late spring or early summer and brings her fawn from time to time. The first time my wife has ever seen a spotted fawn in real life.

Just thought I would share.

God Bless You & Yours,
    Wayne aka Special K
    Last edited by Special K; 09-01-2018 at 03:32 PM.
    "Just Like Iron Sharpens Iron... So it is that One Man Sharpens Another Man." Proverbs 27:17

Post Thanks / Like

We use to feed the birds and animals as well here at the house. Loved to take pictures of them. However, with kids in the neighborhood we had to cease due to the increasing frequency of black bears. They not only cleaned out the feeds, but destroyed them as well. Got to be too dangerous to maintain, as well as costly. Miss the birds though.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes Special K LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That fox is beautiful. We feed through the cold months and set up a game cam to see what we are attracting at night. We enjoy the birds but those tree rats can be down right rotten. I bought a red plastic bird feeder from Lowes made to look like an old church. About 2hrs after we filled it, the steeple was missing. Low and behold, a little grey booger was in a nearby tree chewing on it. Never got it back!!!!!!!!! We have a male cardinal with a bald spot on his head the size of a dime. He has hung around for at least the last 4 winters.
    Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me"

Wear that PFD, the life you save might be your own!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by need2befishin View Post
    That fox is beautiful. We feed through the cold months and set up a game cam to see what we are attracting at night. We enjoy the birds but those tree rats can be down right rotten. I bought a red plastic bird feeder from Lowes made to look like an old church. About 2hrs after we filled it, the steeple was missing. Low and behold, a little grey booger was in a nearby tree chewing on it. Never got it back!!!!!!!!! We have a male cardinal with a bald spot on his head the size of a dime. He has hung around for at least the last 4 winters.
    It does get somewhat costly to feed the critters year around... and as for the tree rats... I've just built a nice tree rat proof feeder that I'm going to put up before the cooler whether. You're right in that the tree rats are amazingly opportunistic feeders with a whole lot of sense to figure out how to get around most challenges. I was going to squirrel proof everything before now... but here in Central NC the oak mast and other nuts were almost non-existent last fall and winter. Again, my wife feels sorry for them and can't stand to think that they don't have enough to eat.
    Last edited by Special K; 09-01-2018 at 07:16 PM.
    "Just Like Iron Sharpens Iron... So it is that One Man Sharpens Another Man." Proverbs 27:17
    Likes need2befishin LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner08 View Post
    We use to feed the birds and animals as well here at the house. Loved to take pictures of them. However, with kids in the neighborhood we had to cease due to the increasing frequency of black bears. They not only cleaned out the feeds, but destroyed them as well. Got to be too dangerous to maintain, as well as costly. Miss the birds though.
    No doubt... bears would definitely put a whole new twist to feeding the animals. We are just starting to hear stories of black bears being seen in our area. We are lucky because we have black bears all around us in North Carolina... but not so much in Central North Carolina.

Post Thanks / Like

For years we had a fox come to have her babies in the pasture behind the house. We would feed her over the chain link fence. When the little ones would get big enough, she would let them come up and eat. It was a lot of fun to watch them. We have not had any in 2 years now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deltarat View Post
    For years we had a fox come to have her babies in the pasture behind the house. We would feed her over the chain link fence. When the little ones would get big enough, she would let them come up and eat. It was a lot of fun to watch them. We have not had any in 2 years now.
    I know they are extremely cautious and nervous. We actually had the mother to where we could go within 10 to 20 feet of her before she would ease away from us... not bolting but just walking away slowly looking back at us as we talked to her. The babies are far more nervous, spooky and wild acting and don't waste any time boltin' when they see us. Hopefully they too will mellow out and learn that we are no threat to them when we show ourselves or approach them.

Here's a couple more pics of moma chillin' in the shade... only abut 15 yards from my front door... on a hot summer day after eatin' her fill.

Name:  011.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  86.9 KB

Name:  100_0201.JPG
Views: 422
Size:  377.8 KB
    Last edited by Special K; 09-01-2018 at 10:46 PM.
    Likes need2befishin, S10CHEVY LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Great pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Special K View Post
    Hello All,

Ever since my wife and I have been together we have shared a love for all of the creatures of the outdoors... and have always fed the birds and the critters around our house... just because we love to see and enjoy them. My wife's nickname is Ellie Mae and (I'm satisfied) if she had her way we would have a zoo and own and care for multiple species both wild and domestic.

Here are just a few of the pics (of many) that I have taken of the animals that have taken advantage of our feeding efforts. We put out a variety of bird seed, black oil sunflower seeds and some fruits and vegetable table scraps. The fox loves Purina Cat Chow Seafood Medley and so do the opossums and raccoons.

Name:  Bird Feeder Bandits (1).jpg
Views: 586
Size:  118.4 KB

Name:  Bird Feeder Bandits (2).jpg
Views: 582
Size:  51.0 KB

Name:  Bird Feeder Bandits (3).jpg
Views: 566
Size:  105.9 KB

Name:  Bird Feeder Bandits (4).jpg
Views: 578
Size:  136.6 KB

Name:  Bird Feeder Bandits (5).jpg
Views: 573
Size:  121.9 KB

Recently, the mother fox that you see in the pictures has given birth to two pups who lately have been weaned and now visit regularly too. I haven't taken any pictures of the pups, because they only come right at dark when it's too dark to take pictures without a flash. The doe deer has also fawned over the late spring or early summer and brings her fawn from time to time. The first time my wife has ever seen a spotted fawn in real life.

Just thought I would share.

God Bless You & Yours,
    Wayne aka Special K
    One of the best gifts God gave to us, nature.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

Great pics

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast