Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basic Equipment

Post Thanks / Like

Default Basic Equipment

OK. So what do I need in the way of rods & reels for Crappie fishing? I don't want the top-of-the-line, most expensive stuff out there. But I'd rather do a little better than a Zebco 202. And I know that everyone has their favorite stuff, but I would like to hear a few suggestions. Also, is there a preference between spinning and spin casting? I have some spinning equipment, but most of the crappie fishermen I've been out with use spincasting.

What weight line? What color line?

I have just placed an order for the In-Fisherman video & I'm reading articles from the Crappie USA library.

Thanks

Tugaloo

Post Thanks / Like

That could be an interesting thread. Will probably have numerous different responses. A lot depends on whether you are going to be bank fishing of fishing from a boat. The basic in my opinion are a good open face spinning reel ( does not have to be an expensive reel), a medium or medium light rod about 6 or 7 foot long. As for line here again you get lots of different opinions. Myself I use Trilene XT in the 4 or 6 pound test. I am currently using a light green color line that they no longer make. I like it because I can see the line better then clear monofilament.

You will probably find that if you can try other peoples gear to find out what you like the best it will save you from buying something that later you wish you had not. Don't knock the Zebco 202 that has probably taught more of the basics of fishing than can imagine. I find that the KISS technique (Keep It Simple Stupid) works really good. In my opinion a lot of the gear for all types of fishing is designed to attract the fisherman not the fish.

Hope this helps...know there will be lots of responses.

P.S. Check out the articles on Darryl Morris website
    http://www.familyfishingtrips.com/News.htm
    Last edited by Ranger375; 01-29-2005 at 09:31 AM.
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Ranger, I should have been more specific. I'll be fishing from a small boat. A 14 foot johnboat. And it will be on a large reservoir. Lake Hartwell in SC.

Tugaloo

Post Thanks / Like

Quantum reels are really good for the price. I usually get their ultralight reels at Wally world between 15 and 20 bucks. And they last me years.

Post Thanks / Like

Default tackle guide options

Well, it sounds like you've got the perfect start with that small boat and a decent reservoir fishery. It won't be long before the spawn will be on (when the water temp gets above 55 they prestage in deeper water near sheltered shallow water like that in the backs of coves - then when the water is 60-65 they will be spawning in that shallower water). Those are the two places you need to start looking now. Might not find much but when you do find them, just follow them into the shallower water as the water temperature warms.

Now, what tackle do you need to do this? Depends on how you want to fish for them and how your fishing environment lets you do.

One way is to cast for them. Use a 5.5 - 7.5 ft. graphite with a spinning reel spooled with 6# test. You can cast into the shallower water and not spook the fish. You can also use a small cork fixed at 18-24 inches above your jig to control depth and reduce the number of hangups. Use a twitch-stopandgo retrieve. Lot's a fun.

Another way is what is called "daubing" and "pitch'in". Use a long 10-12 ft. graphite rod with a spinning reel. When using a long rod you're not going to cast, so the reel is really just a line holder and can be anything, really. Glide up quietly into the shallow water and daub your jig into spots where you see the cover and think there might be a bedding crappie. Go slow, dip the jig in and stop, go a little deeper and stop, again and again, twitch a little. If you don't get a crappie, lift straight up out of the cover and dip into another spot. Work all points 12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock around brush, stumps, stakes, whatever cover is there. If you can't get close enough to daub, then pitch. Let out about 10-12 ft of line with you jig on the end and pitch it to the cover and swim it back to you by simply lifting the rod tip. In order to swim it straight, use a permanent marker and mark your line about 18" from the jig. Keep that mark at the top of the water when swimming it back. Get ready because you're going to get hammered and you'll probably have to set the hook sideways and drag the crappie out of the cover so you don't get hung up or scare the rest of the fish. Go after the rest in the same spot, there's more there.

Here are some links to some sites that sell the equipment I just mentioned.

http://www.crappiestuff.com/richard_...pie_poles.html

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults

http://www.bnmpoles.com/
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Weight on line depends on where you fish. If you fish in a lot of tangles then a stronger line may be needed if you get hung up a lot. If you fish with weedless baits then you can get by with ligher weight or thinner lines.

I prefer 6lb test as it was recommended to me last year by a pro fishermen and I respect his advice. I was using 4lb test clear Berkley XL Trilene and still use that on some of my older setups. It works good in clear water but I have had trouble casting it lately since they started putting it on the larger diameter arbors. I get too much line twist and coils.

I also like the IronSilk 6lb test green line as it casts nicely and works pretty good in STAINED Water. Stained water may have a visibilty of 3 to 5 ft and clear water you can see 10ft or more. Muddy water you can't see more than a few feet or even less. Clear thin line works best in clear water with no snags and heavy line can be used in muddy waters.

I recently went back to Stren Clear Line and like it a lot. I put it on my newest fishing rod and reel and used it at Patoka Last time and caught 17 nice crappie with it. It works good on the main areas of Patoka Lake where the water is much clearer than in the upper reaches where the water is very stained to muddy.

I have found that having a long pole and a sensitive light weight graphite pole really helps me catch or should I say DETECT the bite. You don't have to pay 100's of dollars for a good sensitive graphite pole. And even a glass/graphite pole may work well and take more abuse. With Graphite Poles you have to be extreemly careful with them and how you travel with them. Any bumbs against hard surface can damamge them. They would not be good to give to any small children to start out with. If you take great care to keep them from bumbing into hard objects they can last a long time. They are great for feeling the baits and any soft bites.

A reel is only there to hold the line. Most of my fishing is done in water less than 50ft deep. So I don't really need a lot of line. Most of the time I only have 20ft to 10ft of line out. I vertical slow troll more and more these days or should I save slow Hover over a brush pile. I use to cast more than I do these days but I get too many tangles and loops in my line when I cast so I have not uses that method much lately.

I have daiwa open faced spining reels and Shakesphear spinning reels mostly. But most modern spinning reels will work. I only paid about 20 bucks for the last few reels I bought. They work great and hold about 90 ft of 6lb test line which is plenty.

Everyone will have other preferences and these are just the ones that I have been using. There are many other brands of lines and reels and rods that will work

Crappie don't care if you use a cane pole made out of bamboo or a modern G. Loomis 100% Graphite 200 dollar rod. Only the fishermen can tell the difference. We (dad and I) caught lots of crappie on the old 12ft long Cane Poles and braided line using the KY lake Crappie Rig and minnows for bait.

Finding the crappies location and their depth is much more important IMHO. Because even with the most expensive bass boat filled with the most modern electronics and fishing gear you can't catch any fish if you are not fishing where the fish are. Fishing emtpy water can lead to only frustration. Finding the fish is key. Most good fisherman can find the fish or put out structure in the right spots that draws the fish to that spot. That way they know where the fish are.

Take your time and read while it's cold and get out an try your luck when it's nice outside. Nothing will replace time out on the water. But reading about fishing is the next best thing to doing it.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't use a Zebco 202 but a Zebco 33 is a very good reel for the money and is very user friendly. If I were a betting man, I would bet more crappie have been caught using a Zebco 33 than the rest all put together. There are Zebco rod and reel packages sold reasonably.
    There are inexpensive telescoping fiberglass ploes that can be bought for $15 or less that work real well on crappie. You fish them similar to the way folks used to fish cane poles. Heck, all you need to do is tie some line on them, tie a hook (with a minnow), sinker and float on the buisness end of the line and you have a very effective crappie rig. I have a 10' Black Widow rig that I use with live bait like I described or with jigs and I catch alot more crappies than most of the local fishemen that have high dollar rigs. I think I paid $8 for the pole.
    My point of view is that a fellow can buy some reasonably priced rigs and catch alot of crappie. I buy my Zebco rigs at yard sales for $5 for both rod and reel. I am very sure I can catch as many crappie as anyone else around here, maybe alot more because I know where and when to fish these rigs at, which is the real key to crappie fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

you can go and do everything that you have been told but until you go out and fish on your on and get the feel of it for your self its just info.if i was you i would try and find some arround the lake that you are going to fish on and see if they would help you learn the in and outs of the crappie there that would help you more than anything else.
    Dave
    Boydton,VA

Post Thanks / Like

Like Everyone Else Has Said--its A Matter Of Who Likes What!quantum Makes Good Spinning Reels In Various Prices.bass-pro Sells A Wally Marshal Spinning Reel&rods At Reasonable Prices--pry My Favorite!with The 6.5 Ft Rod You Can Easily Detect A Lite Bite! Thats A Must!!!!i Like Pline&red Cajun Line --6 Lb Test.easy To Line Watch,and Pretty Tough!here On Dale Hollow I Tight Line A Minnow,while Swimming A Jig With Another Rod-right Now S L O W Is Best.like I Told You Earlier,time On The Water Will Teach You Alot--it Will Also Give You Confidance Inusing Different Methods &equipment!!good Luck!!!dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default microlight rods

I got several BPS microlight rods. I love them. I have both the graphite and glass ones, from UL to Light. You can find them on sell sometimes for 29.99 reg. 39.99 and the glass ones are 19.99 I believe. They are great for me you might want to check them out. I use reels from BPS or Wally World cost about 15.00-25.00. Just find a brand I like and stick with it till I can not find them in the stores anymore. Only problem with the small UL reels is I have stripped the gears out of them due to cats or strippers.
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast